Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider: Film study should help bypass rules

bubba9497

By Eric Allen

ESPN Insider

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/preview04/news/story?id=1871675

The NFL has employed new rules this season that inhibit cornerbacks' ability to bump receivers off the line of scrimmage. Ostensibly this new rule is set to even the playing field between receivers and cornerbacks, but all it really does is just help the offense. This rule hits defenses and the techniques that CBs employ for success very hard.

Cornerbacks need to work on their technique and get in the film room to beat the new rules.

I feel that if the offenses are so worried about what the cornerbacks are doing in bump-and-run coverage they should get their receivers to work on their technique, instead of complaining about it. Pacifying offenses with this rule is only a temporary fix because referees will call illegal contact, which is a five-yard infraction and not a spot-of-the-foul penalty. The increasing number of penalties that will result will only serve to prolong games, and I don't know anyone who wants longer games.

Despite my complaints about the new emphasis on illegal contact and how it could adversely affect my defensive brethren, there are two ways to limit the effect the rule will have.

First, all cornerbacks should be using the offseason to better their technique and to get bigger and faster. Some should be working on speed drills to get faster to keep up with guys like Randy Moss and Marvin Harrison, who can just blow your doors off speed wise. Others should be working on their strength so they can lay bigger hits, do a better job of defending against the run and handle the physicality of certain receivers.

I know one of the reasons I was successful in my career was because of my offseason workouts. That's the time to work out the kinks in a player's technique and to find out what needs to be improved. It's a lot easier to do this in the offseason than it is during the season when nagging injuries can cut into a player's ability to make changes.

The second way for a cornerback to circumvent the rules is by increasing his time in the film room. It was already imperative for a defensive player to be a "tape junkie" because of the myriad of offensive schemes that are being used. This new emphasis on illegal contact will only reinforce the need for that study time.

Defensive backs should constantly be in the tape room studying and learning their opponents. It's not enough to just try to pick up what plays an offense is calling in certain situations; these rules make it vital for a defensive back to read the receivers on the opposing team. Most receivers have a "tell" or something that gives away what they're going to do. That may be something as obvious as a head fake when he's looking to cut or something as subtle as how his body sways before he turns for the ball. The only way a defensive back is going to know these things is by studying film and making sure he's ahead of the game and the new rules.

Okay, so cornerbacks shouldn't have to play by the rules?"

Beat the new rules? I thought they were simply enforcing the ones that the DB's have been disregarding forever.

Well, it didn't take long to figure out that Eric Allen doesn't know what he's talking about.

Imagine you are driving home from work today and get pulled over for speeding. The officer tells you that you were doing 56 in a 55 zone. Today all police in your city decided to pull over every driver going over 55 mph.

True, they are not changing the law, only the enforcement. Still, it would suck.

My point is that the article was surprisingly well written when you consider it was done by an ex-Eagle.

Originally posted by sydshobob

Okay, so cornerbacks shouldn't have to play by the rules?"

Everyone should play by the rules... however there are lopols that can be worked out... If the DB works on his man-on-man skills and watch film they will be very dangerous this year... lets look at Mr. Taylor... our Rookie of the Year Hero!!!! he's playing on raw talent while he learns the secondary at the Pro level... it appears that his techniq is very good... now Smoot needs to step up and learn the routes of the G-men, Eagels & Da Girls... that will give him the ability to jump the route when the pass is in the air... That's what makes the Bucs DBs look so good their SB yr... if you look at the Ravens DBs last year they were jumpping routes like it was crazy... Hopefully or D-Backfield picked up on this and gets with the program!!!

Originally posted by ShonyX

Imagine you are driving home from work today and get pulled over for speeding. The officer tells you that you were doing 56 in a 55 zone. Today all police in your city decided to pull over every driver going over 55 mph.

True, they are not changing the law, only the enforcement. Still, it would suck.

My point is that the article was surprisingly well written when you consider it was done by an ex-Eagle.

They have changed the law a few years ago. In either the late 80s or early 90s they changed the rules so that the CB cannot make contact after 5 yards. Before they could. Art Monk caught 106 passes the hard way. Then the ychanged the rules and Herman Moore, Chris Carter, and others caught more passes.

Defenses shot themselves in the foot with this crap.

Nobody was upset about it until last season's playoffs when the Panthers and Patriots went WAY overboard.

They were practically pulling the reciever's pants down and nothing was being called. That's not how the game should be played.

Originally posted by ShonyX

Imagine that for the past 3 weeks the signs along the parkway announced a new policy of no-leeway full enforcement of the speed limit.

Imagine that for the past week, every night on your way home you've seen guys pulled over for speeding violations.

Imagine that tonight it was your turn, ticketed for 56 in a 55 zone.

Whose fault is this?

What happened to more physical play during the playoffs? I'm not for anything that softens the game.

You aren't seeing people being as physical as those playoff games last year, but they are getting flags for light contact. It's pretty silly to ask a guy to cover another person yet not touch them.

Hopefully the refs are just a little overboard, but more games are going to be decided by the illegal contact rule than physical play in the secondary.

Originally posted by Truant

What happened to more physical play during the playoffs? I'm not for anything that softens the game.

You aren't seeing people being as physical as those playoff games last year, but they are getting flags for light contact. It's pretty silly to ask a guy to cover another person yet not touch them.

Hopefully the refs are just a little overboard, but more games are going to be decided by the illegal contact rule than physical play in the secondary.

Well, If you saw last year's playoff games AT ALL, then you would have noticed how ridiculous the no-calls were. It was quite obvious, and the league must have seen something also because they decided to enforce their loose rules. I'm not sure if their trying to soften the game, just trying to prevent receivers from getting mugged.

Archived