Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

stripping/punching the ball(to cause a fumble)

MumboSauce

(^^^just kidding on the bitting it lose thing I realize players wear helmets) *LOL*

It's being emphasized in defense more and more, turn overs are a huge part of the game..has a dramatic outcome on wins and losses(take aways etc)...there are drills in practice for this specific thing...everyone can do it so it is fair across the board.

but is it a cheap shot/thing to do? or all fair? Should a legal fumble be only relegated to being caused by a timed hit/tackle..a jarring/whoo tackle(aiming tackle/pads helmet on the ball...etc? not by taking your arm and ripping/punching at the ball to cause it?

This may seem like another thing to pansy the sport even further :doh: but it seems somewhat cheap to me. players didnt seem to do it as much in the past..why I dont know...but its common place now. I think their are 3points a ball carrier secures the ol pigskin(correct me if im wrong) to supposedly keep it locked in or unstrippable....but due to the shape of the ball, it doesnt seem like punching it or stripping it would be all that hard to do. maybe it is I dont know.

For those that have played the sport, and understand the physics of the ball and how it is held and how easy it is or isnt to strip or punch the ball lose let me know.

It is a strategy just like so many other aspects of the game. Did George Allen cheapen the game by adding a special teams coach? You lay the ball down it's a fumble no matter how it was performed. That's my two cents anyway.

With a turnover being one of the few ways to significantlly change the momentum of the game I see no reason why a defensive or offensive player shouldn't do anything legally possible to jar the ball loose. My feeling is that these skilled offensive players have been taught since pop warner how to cover the ball in traffic. We see so many ball carriers holding the ball like a loaf of bread. I know that many times these guys are using their other arm to stiff arm or try to make an evasive movement, but the point is to keep the ball secure no matter what. If defensive players are willing to miss the tackle to get a shot on the ball then they will have to face the coach and teammates if their attempt fails and the ball carrier breaks a big one. Stripping the ball has become an artform of todays defensive player because they know it will have a huge impact on the game.

I think anything goes. It's the ball carrier's responsibility to protect the football and I don't think a hit should be the only way to lose the ball. If a player palms the ball, runs with it at his side and loses it because a defensive player hits it with his hand - is that any different (technically speaking, of course) from an unprotected stripped ball?

It's a calculated risk non the defender's part. If you were to lose your hold on the guy he's gone. This was taught as a manuever for the 2nd or third guy in by my coaches. The first tackler brings him down period.

As far as fairness and all that, you learn at the earliest part of football to secure the ball as a ball carrier. It's more important than footwork, pass-rush reads or anything else. If the ball gets punched loose it's your own fault because that thing is precious and is to be protected at all costs.

Originally posted by gridironmike

It is a good technique if it works. If it causes you to miss the ball and the tackle, well, not so good. The first purpose should be to tackle the ball carrier

This is why its a fair technique. If you don't succeed at stripping the ball, there is a good chance the runner will take a dump on you.

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

First guy must secure the tackle.

The second guy that flies in goes for the strip. You see it all the time happen where a ball carrier is slowed down by a linebacker or D-lineman and a DB flies in and knocks the ball out.

Gotta secure the tackle first. And punching the ball out is indeed an art that must be practiced over and over. Real hard to do

if somebody is stripped of the ball it means one of two things:

A) they were being careless and sloppy, or

B) the defender had more heart.

seriously, when a ball carrier is holding the ball with all 5 points of pressure on it (or 6 or 7 whatever your mindset is) then he should never lose it.

so if he wants to be careless and hold the ball away from his body, then it's his fault and anything goes.

Circumstances dictate when it is appropriate to attempt to strip a ball loose. It is never unfair to do so, but sometimes it's ill-advised.

Generally, the first guy makes the tackle and the second guy strips. However, if you are chasing someone from behind with little time left and you need to make a play, by all means punch at the ball or grab the arm carrying the ball. Same common sense logic applies to when to fall on a fumble verses trying to pick it up and run with it. :eaglesuck

There are five points I've been taught to holding the ball correctly and making it unstripable. The first is make a claw over the tip of the ball with you're index and middle finger. Then hold the ball against the palm (2), forearm (3), bicep (4), and the final and most important, the chest (5). Some players say holding it to their chest slows them down but if you look at the best backs who don't fumble, notice how they hold the ball to their chest even as they sprint to the outside.

Originally posted by JoeGibbsIsBack

There are five points I've been taught to holding the ball correctly and making it unstripable. The first is make a claw over the tip of the ball with you're index and middle finger. Then hold the ball against the palm (2), forearm (3), bicep (4), and the final and most important, the chest (5). Some players say holding it to their chest slows them down but if you look at the best backs who don't fumble, notice how they hold the ball to their chest even as they sprint to the outside.

Look at my sig pic of Riggins above;) Proper ball holding technique right there. Tight, close to chest with second hand covering top of ball.

Day 1 Sh!t

Originally posted by ciresolstice

(^^^just kidding on the bitting it lose thing I realize players wear helmets) *LOL*

Believe it or not biting does occur in the NFL as well as college and pee wee/pop Warner football.

I say if you can punch it out, rip it out, knock it out, and knock out the other play to make the ball pop out!!! DO IT!!! that's what the game is about... to cause the turn over and work that turn over into points... The strip has been around since the start of the game... this is nothing new!!!

Next thing you say is that they should not try to block a punt or a field goal attempt! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Archived