Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Theismann rips G-men's O-line (and they arent happy)

Oldskool

http://www.nypost.com/sports/giants/27328.htm

O-LINE TAKES OFFENSE TO THEISMANN'S HIT

By PAUL SCHWARTZ

August 23, 2004 -- ALBANY — If the Giants' offensive linemen go out to a nice dinner, chances are Joe Theismann won't be an invited guest.

The former Redskins quarterback and current ESPN analyst ripped the Giants' line during Saturday night's telecast of the Jets-Colts preseason game. Asked by Pat Summerall which team in the NFL had the worst offensive line, Theismann singled out the Giants.

"I'm not going to let what Joe Theismann said bother us any bit," said center Shaun O'Hara, one of three newcomers on this year's line. "Maybe it will add a little incentive to work harder and get better. You can't get your underwear all in a bunch because somebody said something."

Added left tackle Luke Petitgout, "I really don't care what he has to say or what he thinks. He's sitting in a booth, he was a great player back in his day and I certainly respect his knowledge of the game, but it doesn't bother me."

CB Will Peterson had two interceptions off Eli Manning in the afternoon, including one as Peterson tapped the ball into the air and snared the ball while on his back.

MLB Nick Greisen (hamstring) returned to practice on a limited basis and hasn't ruled himself out of Friday's game vs. the Jets. WR Tim Carter (hamstring) is less sure about that game. "It's hard to compete when you're just half-speed, three-quarter speed," Carter said. "I hate doing it in practice, I can't even imagine myself doing it in a game."

TE Jeremy Shockey (strained hamstring) missed both practices. Shockey would not stop to comment other than to describe his situation as "a setback, no injury."

A sight you don't see very often: Special teams coach Mike Sweatman angrily slapping LB T.J. Hollowell on the back of the helmet during a punting drill.

WR James McKnight won't be with the team much longer. He's missed virtually all of camp with an injured toe and he was dropping passes at an alarming rate before he was hurt. McKnight was reportedly fined $5,000 by coach Tom Coughlin for having his cell phone ring during a team meeting. Asked if McKnight is still on the team, Coughlin said, "In theory, yes." McKnight will likely leave via an injury settlement.

The attendance yesterday was 3,290, boosting the total for this camp to 40,770. That surpasses the previous high of 38,750 set in 1996, the Giants' first year at the University at Albany.

Originally posted by Oldskool

http://www.nypost.com/sports/giants/27328.htm

O-LINE TAKES OFFENSE TO THEISMANN'S HIT

By PAUL SCHWARTZ

August 23, 2004 -- ALBANY — If the Giants' offensive linemen go out to a nice dinner, chances are Joe Theismann won't be an invited guest.

The former Redskins quarterback and current ESPN analyst ripped the Giants' line during Saturday night's telecast of the Jets-Colts preseason game. Asked by Pat Summerall which team in the NFL had the worst offensive line, Theismann singled out the Giants.

"I'm not going to let what Joe Theismann said bother us any bit," said center Shaun O'Hara, one of three newcomers on this year's line. "Maybe it will add a little incentive to work harder and get better. You can't get your underwear all in a bunch because somebody said something."

Added left tackle Luke Petitgout, "I really don't care what he has to say or what he thinks. He's sitting in a booth, he was a great player back in his day and I certainly respect his knowledge of the game, but it doesn't bother me."

CB Will Peterson had two interceptions off Eli Manning in the afternoon, including one as Peterson tapped the ball into the air and snared the ball while on his back.

MLB Nick Greisen (hamstring) returned to practice on a limited basis and hasn't ruled himself out of Friday's game vs. the Jets. WR Tim Carter (hamstring) is less sure about that game. "It's hard to compete when you're just half-speed, three-quarter speed," Carter said. "I hate doing it in practice, I can't even imagine myself doing it in a game."

TE Jeremy Shockey (strained hamstring) missed both practices. Shockey would not stop to comment other than to describe his situation as "a setback, no injury."

A sight you don't see very often: Special teams coach Mike Sweatman angrily slapping LB T.J. Hollowell on the back of the helmet during a punting drill.

WR James McKnight won't be with the team much longer. He's missed virtually all of camp with an injured toe and he was dropping passes at an alarming rate before he was hurt. McKnight was reportedly fined $5,000 by coach Tom Coughlin for having his cell phone ring during a team meeting. Asked if McKnight is still on the team, Coughlin said, "In theory, yes." McKnight will likely leave via an injury settlement.

The attendance yesterday was 3,290, boosting the total for this camp to 40,770. That surpasses the previous high of 38,750 set in 1996, the Giants' first year at the University at Albany.

So, at what point does he get that they are offended by his remarks? Was this just a plug for him to assess training camp for the Giants because I didn't see much else!? That was some pretty bad reporting. At least against the headline.

Since when is a strained hamstring not an injury?

Originally posted by China

That's a no win situation, because Theismann was asked who he thought was the worst. No matter which team he picked, they wouldn't be happy.

He might have changed his mind last night after watching the Rams.

Last night Tom Jackson on NFL Live said KC, STL, and another team have the worst defense in the league. Come on, a sports analyst job is to rank teams. They should know that by now.

I don't see one quote from a Giant OL displaying anger at his remarks. I have no doubt someone asked them if they were upset and they said:

"I'm not going to let what Joe Theismann said bother us any bit," and "I really don't care what he has to say or what he thinks."

Newsflash! Nothing happened today and noone cares. Film at 11.

Originally posted by Slingin Sammy

I know people don't like him, but he lead our team to a title. I'll forever be greatful for that. Me, I like the guy. I love the Sunday crew. Beats the Monday night crew. Michaels is alright, but Madden just babbles nonstop.

I like the Sunday night crew the best as well. I know Joey T. at times comes across as ****y and arrogant, but he does a good job in the booth. Most of the time he is spot on with his analysis.

Paul MacGuire however comes across many times as a Know-It-All who doesn't really know-it-all, know what I mean? ;)

Originally posted by GIBBS LIVES

How come if a guy gives his honest opinion on something, people get upset? The Giants O-line does stink. It's no secret. Some times the truth hurts.

I was thinking the same thing. I remember reading about how bad their o-line was last year. :gaintsuck

Originally posted by Griff

I love when Joe T. puts Paul "the windbag" (who I doubt has ever played a down of football in his life) in his place.

Paul "the windbag" (as you put it) did play many downs of football (if you can call being a punter playing football, that is).:)

Archived