Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Vs Lithuiana

afparent

Originally posted by The X-Factor

You really can't blame anyone person or thing for the failure of this team. Everyone involved has something to do with its mediocrity. The players can't shoot, the coaches are not putting in the best lineup, and the organizers did not select the right players for this team.

Everyone has basically made a mistake in this ordeal and the results have shown that. This is a good learning experience that will hopefully change the way the team is constructed in the future.

Or the way an NBA team considers "real" talent versus a MARKETING PLOY.

Originally posted by steveskins

I find it ironic that Portis Bow Wow...

1. Lays all the blame on the players and their game with no fundamentals because they don't know about TEAM. But at the same time, refuses to blame Coach Brown for not putting a cohesive TEAM out on the floor with the talent he HAS. We can complain all we want about the state of US Basketball, but our team has the talent to win gold if the right players were put on the floor.

2. Is a fan of Clinton Portis, who's into all that "hip hop thug rap culture":laugh:

3. Portis Bow Wow sounds like some bad hip hop rap name.

Portis is the "dog" this year. Meaning the "man". Should I change my name to

portis woof woof?

or Portis the fun loving beagle?

Originally posted by portisbowwow

Or the way an NBA team considers "real" talent versus a MARKETING PLOY.

It's all about fitting into the system of the NBA. It is ludacrous to think that the "stars" of the NBA cannot shoot the 3 to save their lives. Meanwhile, other players who have a good all around game and are good basketball players are good because they don't fit the system.

The NBA plays so much differently than college and international leagues that it's scary. As long as their is money to be made, they will never change their style.

Originally posted by portisbowwow

Portis is the "dog" this year. Meaning the "man". Should I change my name to

portis woof woof?

or Portis the fun loving beagle?

But that's a hip hop term.;)

For the record, I don't think you're racist, just a little misguided on some things.:D

Uh, if the NBA can't shoot, how is that they average a decent PCT from 23-9 back and the internationals have to have it at 20-6?

Many international players do not excel when trying to the NBA three because it is harder and many NBA defenses extend to the 3 point line.

It's all about fitting into the system of the NBA. It is ludacrous to think that the "stars" of the NBA cannot shoot the 3 to save their lives. Meanwhile, other players who have a good all around game and are good basketball players are good because they don't fit the system.

The NBA plays so much differently than college and international leagues that it's scary. As long as their is money to be made, they will never change their style.

You have nailed it IMO. Is the NBA about MARKETING or SPORT?

Originally posted by Ghost of Bilbo Stabbins

Uh, if the NBA can't shoot, how is that they average a decent PCT from 23-9 back and the internationals have to have it at 20-6?

Many international players do not excel when trying to the NBA three because it is harder and many NBA defenses extend to the 3 point line.

This is why I think it may be a mental thing. With the closer 3 point line it puts more pressure on you because you're expected to make it. It's really a mid range jumper. But then, that's all but dissapeared in the NBA, so maybe that's the problem? Although if you can hit a three you should be able to hit a mid range jump shot. Free Throw shooting is almost 100% Mental. Our players are not terrible shooters, but I know from practice myself that Free Throws are mental. Repetitious Practice cures that though.

Originally posted by Ghost of Bilbo Stabbins

The players on this team are not really that much better in the NBA either.

As for the internation players, some of them are still real good at the 3 (Peja for example). I think they sturggle a bit in the NBA because they have to adapt to the NBA system. It's bascially the same thing the NBA players are going through now. It's not easy to adapt either way.

Dustin, I do not think you called me a racist. if you did I would have finished this conversation quick.

Why does the NBA allow kids coming out of high school to play in the NBA? Does this not define the NBA as a league hungry for the next marketing gig and not developing the league to maximize talent?

I tink we are making too much of this while our own baseball team did not even qualify for the olympics. That is pretty big, but hardly anyone is talking about it. Baseball is supposed to be our national pastime (supposedly), and here we are with no team representing the country.

Too much has been made about the basketball team. You know they were going to lose after the pathetic showing the in World Championships awhile back. Why isn't there as much commotion about the baseball team?

I tink we are making too much of this while our own baseball team did not even qualify for the olympics. That is pretty big, but hardly anyone is talking about it. Baseball is supposed to be our national pastime (supposedly), and here we are with no team representing the country.

Too much has been made about the basketball team. You know they were going to lose after the pathetic showing the in World Championships awhile back. Why isn't there as much commotion about the baseball team?

Because that was a WHITE team.

No seriously, because baseball is not our national passtime anymore. Football is. And nobody really cares about baseball anymore.

The difference is that the basketball team consists of professional players. Our baseball team is essentially a college all star team.

Big difference. US Olympic baseball are not our Major League All Stars!

Originally posted by steveskins

That's a copout. We are supposed to be superior to the world in Baseball.

No true, Japan, Cuba and other latin american countries are very competitive in baseball. When we won the gold in the last olympics it was an upset because Cuba was favored.

I think this morning's article, from UnWise Mike of the Washington Post, reverberates succinctly my feelings and attitude towards the current state of the NBA and the US Olympic bb team. An eye-opening piece of journalism that calls to attention some rather unpleasant realities that were bound to catch up to us sooner or later...

A Convincing Shift In Balance of Power

By UnWise Mike

Sunday, August 22, 2004; Page E01

ATHENS -- First, before we bury them, a confession: I loved seeing the United States go down against Puerto Rico. I wanted that team to be so embarrassed by the international talent here that David Stern would one day be told by the commissioner of the European league: "Nice team, Mr. Stern. Maybe one day your players will again compete with us."

This contempt for American basketball was not born out of dislike for a style of play or for a generation of knuckleheads who learned the tricks of the trade before they learned the trade -- although that helped foster those feelings.

What put me over the top was the complete disregard, for years, of any other basketball played outside the United States. Until this week, Americans likened Italy or Argentina or even Lithuania to playing on the secondary court in the big gym. For so long, NBA players treated these teams like the Lakers lackadaisically treated the Pistons in the NBA Finals.

That attitude had me dying to see the United States beaten soundly by a cohesive team -- if for no other reason than to make the players care about basketball the way they used to, before the shoe deals and the good life siphoned some of their desire.

But Saturday night at the Helliniko Indoor Arena, two NBA most valuable players and a roster full of all-stars were shot down by a former role player at Maryland who rejected a minimum contract offer from the Milwaukee Bucks last season. Comeuppance is becoming disturbingly commonplace.

Lithuania 94, Team USA 90.

Do you believe in mediocre?

Sarunas Jasikevicius, the former Terrapin now with BC Maccabi in Tel Aviv, finished the job he began in Sydney almost four years ago -- the night his three-pointer fell short of shocking the United States in the Olympic semifinals. He scored 10 points in 1 minute 9 seconds, dropping in consecutive long jumpers in about the time it takes to pronounce Yah-suh-cave-ich. He completed a four-point play with the most basic of head fakes, coaxing Lamar Odom into fouling him and pushing his team in front in the waning moments of the fourth quarter.

He didn't just outplay Allen Iverson and Stephon Marbury; Jasikevicius came up bigger than Tim Duncan in the crucible of a game the United States sorely needed, to avoid Italy, Argentina or Spain in the quarterfinals of the medal round.

The optimist will say America is still 111-4 at the Games since 1936. But throw in the Puerto Rico debacle last Sunday, and the United States has now lost two Olympic games in seven days after losing the other two over the previous 68 years.

Lesson learned. Humble pie served. Watching this team play the most riveting game of the tournament and lose is almost too much for the American hoop psyche. Stern has taken this globalization thing too far.

The NBA has been so magnanimous, teaching the world how to beat us for more than a decade now. We export basketball. Chuck Daly, the original Dream Team coach in 1992, has been to Spain and Italy a dozen times, giving clinics. Del Harris coaches China at these Olympics. Donnie Nelson, the Dallas Mavericks' president of basketball operations, was on the bench when Lithuania nearly shocked the United States in Sydney. He felt so unpatriotic he vowed to never be on the bench again when the Lithuanians played the United States. He was tortured watching Saturday night's game from the Olympic Village.

On one hand, mission accomplished: Lithuania is clearly the best team in the tournament. On the other, the son of a former Boston Celtic is wondering what happened to the game America invented, perfected and then clearly took for granted.

The United States has missed 64 and made only 18 three-pointers in four games, behind a line that only measures 20 feet and a few inches. That's a mid-range jumper in the NBA, and you know what happened to our mid-range jumper? Stephon Marbury, 2 for 14, that's what.

This was a game to be had. Four of Lithuania's top players were in foul trouble, and it committed 20 turnovers. And still, the Americans couldn't beat a team with one marginal NBA player, Sacramento's Darius Songaila.

Beyond the obvious questions of what's wrong on the court (we can't shoot when teams pack in a zone) is the larger question: What's going on in these players' heads?

Unlike Jasikevicius, the unquestioned leader of his team, they're still sorting out who's the go-to threat in the clutch, how to play zone defense and offense, essentially how to forget everything they've been taught from grade school on so they can compete internationally.

Think about it. At every level of advancement -- be it high school, their AAU summer team or, in the case of Carmelo Anthony at Syracuse for a season, a major Division I program -- almost every U.S. player has been the focal point of an offense. All their lives, four other players waited for them to come downcourt, were told to look for them before anybody else.

And Larry Brown is breaking them down, losses serving as sobering learning experiences that a disenchanted public back home can barely stomach. They are not unlike a group of high school kids going through the preseason, finding out about each other and themselves. Iverson, LeBron James, Richard Jefferson -- they're all gradually reinventing themselves as players to fit in.

"It's like being deprogrammed," Carlos Boozer said after the loss to Lithuania. "We have to relearn things like we're in college again. The one thing we can from this loss is we're a lot better now than when we came here."

Wild, huh? A team featuring Iverson and Duncan, underdogs in the big gym. That's what happens when you don't take the guys on the secondary court seriously.

It becomes time to take our game back.

No offense, but that article was written by a moron who obviously didn't WATCH the games. There was no lackadaisical play by the NBA players.

People act like the mid-range jumper has disappeared but that's not the case. The guys on the team started off poorly and now have a mental block.

One can see this with Marbury, who has hit 25 foot shots when he's gotten hot in the past and played big in crunch time. He is double-clutching his shots, although he IS taking them.

What's funny is that we probably wouldn't be talking about any of this junk, had Brown not nixed Michael Redd as a selection. There's your shooter, there's your guy who will bust the zone and allow the other players to dominate their one-on-one matchups.

• 3 years later...

Archived