Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fantasy Football question

cracka

My biggest fear has arisen. I recvd the numero Uno pick in my league. You would think thats great, but I prefer to be in the middle of the pack.

I've already decided that Tomlinson or Holmes are 1 and 2, but I can decide on which one to take. Holmes is always a sure-fire winner, but injuries scare me even though they have been rare. Tomlinson is a brick house, but hes a one man show and afraid that teams can box him up and kill his year.

Whats your opinons?

I was scared of the same thing, I lucked out and got the third pick.

I told myself that no matter what, i was not going to pick Holmes because the odds didn't favor him being the best AGAIN. But I'm not Fantasy Football expert.

Picking Holmes is the safe thing to do, no one can fault you, but if you are seriously considering Tomlinson or Clinton Portis, consider the teams that they play for and the situation.

Will the Chargers play a rookie qb? How will defenses react to that, will the dare the opposition to pass on them and gun for shutting down the run?

Tough call regardless.

Go with Priest. People were worried about his hip last year, and all he did was score 27 TDs. Last year, I passed over him in the draft and took Ricky Williams instead. What a mistake that was. My friend took him with the next pick, and he was basically his whole team...although I still defeated him in the championship. :point2sky

Needless to say, you really can't go wrong with either guy.

One thing to keep in mind is that you could maybe trade that #1 overall to another team in the top 5 that is smitten with Priest/LT. If you could get a 3rd rounder to do the swap, you might have to consider it.

:2cents:

Its a toss up, however, Priest is saying that he is only about 80% right now, which is not a good sign.

Here is the story.

For Priest, it hurts to be the best

JOE POSNANSKI

RIVER FALLS, Wis. — Priest Holmes hurts. He doesn't like to talk about it. A year ago, he was barraged by questions about his hip, his contract, his will, his hip, his future, his hip, and he ignored it all, played on through, set an NFL record for touchdowns.

This year, nobody is asking about his hip, which is fine by him.

But you should know: Priest Holmes hurts.

“It's funny, everybody thinks because I ran on it last year, it must be fine,” Holmes says. “But running on it last year obviously made it worse. I feel it on every play. But I always said the running-back position is for warriors.”

Nobody will ever fully understand what Priest Holmes went through last season. Then, few appreciate just how good Holmes has been anyway. He is on a three-year run like few who have ever played the game. He's only the third man in NFL history (Walter Payton and Marshall Faulk are the two others) who has gained 2,000 total yards three years in a row. He's only the third man (Faulk and Emmitt Smith) to score 20 or more touchdowns in back-to-back seasons. In just three seasons, he has set just about every single Chiefs running and scoring record (he figures to break the team's career rushing record in week two or three this year).

Even beyond all that, though, last season was something for the ages. His hip injury flared up constantly. Sportswriters in the '50s used to talk about the awe they felt watching Mickey Mantle in the clubhouse limping around on shot knees after another game. The Mick wasn't getting hit by linebackers. Holmes walked slowly in the locker room as the adrenaline wore off, and the numbing pain settled in. He dressed slowly. He wanted to be left alone. He was in agony.

Still, he was there every game to score touchdowns. He ran for more touchdowns than any team in the NFL. Cynics — and for some reason there are always more cynics gathered around Priest Holmes — like to point out that he often scored touchdowns from the end zone's edge. Well, those are the runs that hurt the most.

It should also be pointed out that even if you only count touchdowns scored from 5 yards and out, Holmes still scored more than any runner in the NFL.

The pain was his business. I don't think 2003 was a particularly fun year for Priest Holmes. He spent most of it practicing, training, getting massages, psyching himself up to play another game. That's why in March he gave a little thought to quitting.

“Every year, I ask myself if I'm ready to give my all to football for another year or if I should just walk away,” Holmes says. “This time, for the first time, I had my doubts. It's the first time I've ever talked about it with a coach. I wasn't sure.”

He decided that he still has a purpose to play football. But that doesn't make it any easier. The pain is not quite what it was a year ago — and from a sideline view Holmes looks a step quicker than he did then — but the hip is not what it was. How could it be?

“I'm probably at 80 percent,” he says. “And what I'm trying to do now is build up my stamina and my strength so that I'm ready to go, in case the plan is to give me the ball as many times as they have the last couple of years.” He smiles. “I have no reason to believe the plan will be any different.”

As for the future — next year and beyond — Holmes doesn't know. And the first week of training camp is a bad week to ask. Believe me, every veteran football player in the NFL has, for at last a few seconds, thought this week about what it would be like to just go to Asia like Ricky Williams, at least until the end of training camp. Holmes ends every practice by catching a few extra passes and then doing a series of crunches and push-ups. He is thinking about leading the Chiefs to the Super Bowl. He is thinking about having the greatest season a running back has ever had. He does not have time to think about the future.

He does not have time to think about the pain either.

“I'm at that point where I'm feeling pretty fatigued,” he says. “I feel like I'm running uphill on every play. But you know me. I've been running uphill for a long time.

OK - I like to be a rebel and go against the grain :cool:

But I was going to say LT anyway. Also, is it a keeper league? Even more of a reason to pick the younger back. While I think Holmes will be strong this year, it'll be hard to produce the same outrageous numbers that he did. Hall, Kennison and Morton will take away some of his production. The chargers still suck and look to LT to be the primary playmaker. He won't disappoint.

No.. Its not a keeper league. My biggest fear is injurys, and The Gibber's post has me all freaked out. LD didnt have any talent around him last year either and he still couldnt be stopped. It really is a toss up..

Just so you know, I had the first pick 2 years ago and I took Marshall Faulk and **big suprise** he got hurt.

Thanks for you feedback!

I did not want to freak you out, just wanted to pass along information. I agree with TankRizzo about having to pick Priest but I would keep an eye out on him during preseason. And if you go with Priest you pretty much have to handcuff him with Larry Johnson.

LT could also have some injury issues during the year, since Marty will just use him until he breaks down. Eventually that is going to happen.

I chose Tomlinson. Even when the Chargers are down huge, which they will be, he will still get his touches. Moreover, he had more catches last year than priest (he had a 100, Priest 74). If your league is a point per catch, as mine is, it is huge. He is significantly younger as well. I just have a funny feeling that while Priest will still be a dominate FF RB, that he will slip.

Consider Ahman Green with the # 1 pick...

I agree with codeorama (I think he was the one who mentioned it)...can you count on Priest to do it again? Yes, he's been on a tear the last few years but I have to believe that's going to catch up with him. And as far as LT...the Chargers will be horrible this year (especially if they start Rivers)...he's probably the best back in the league now but it'll be tough when the defense is keying on him all day because they have nothing else.

I have the #2 pick in our upcoming draft...call it "homer-ism" but I'll be taking Portis. I know he's going 4th or 5th in most drafts...but I finally get to take a Redskin in the 1st round of our draft. First time in 12 years that I can do that :)

What's the scoring system like? Is it the same for TD's for pass & rush/rec?

I'd try to trade out of the pick. Talk up Holmes OR Tomlinson like they will be the only way to win the title. Tell everyone the road to the championship is on Holmes' back. Try for around the 4th or 5th pick + their second (15th or 16th) and go for Portis, Lewis or A Green. Then you can pick up maybe Dillon with #2 and maybe Moss or Harrisson will be there for your 2nd, 2nd round pick. Trading for more picks is always preferrable, I HATE the #1 spot, I'd much rather around 4 or 5.

• 2 weeks later...

Holmes went first in my draft. LT went second, followed by Ahman Green, Clinton Portis, Shaun Alexander, and Duece McAllister.

IMO Holmes has got to be the Number 1 guy. It's his spot until he performs otherwise, just like Faulk a few years back. Is Holmes going to have 27 touchdowns again this year?...probably not, but he will still be a top tier back. Take a shot. If he's 2/3's as good as last year, he is still arguably the best back in the league.

got to go with Priest.

1) he plays on a team where he isn't the ONLY weapon on offense. while that means that LT will get every opportunity to help them win, it also means the he will be the sole focus of opposing defenses.

2) look at PH's TD numbers. that is sick!

3) San Diego blows. that means they will be trailing in a lot of games. that means they will be throwing the ball. that means they will have to throw the ball DOWNFIELD, not little 5-yard dump passes in the flats.

Archived