Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Taylor be a bust?

skins4eva

After all has gone on with the guy, what is everyone's gut instinct? This past decade I have becoming used to assuming that with the Skins, the worst thing that can happen, will happen. ST seems like the exact opposite of a Gibbs player. I have a feeling gibbs is freaking out about him...Anyway, I pray to God he's not a bust, but from what I've seen so far, I won't be a bit suprised if he is

If he is, it won't be because he's immature, at 22, insofar as financial dealings.

This is so basic I hate to even say it, but I will:

Let the man play some football. Maybe 3 or 4 season's worth. THEN let's maybe start to talk about his career path.

bearing injury NO after 4 practices where he has looked fine the media is painting a ugly picture because he is not dealing with them at all.

Its funny how many question his character beacause of what is being written about him by people who are being blown off by him.

On the field he is playing hard diving for loose balls and getting a long with his teammates and coaches. He also has not blown off fans. He is still a kid and if he had explained his moves with a smile on his face joking with the media this thread would be non existent.

The kid is a baller go to camp and see with your own eyes or pop in any tape of him in Miami in and you will see.

RDSKNfaithfull,

Complaining about your contract is a locker room distraction that hurts team chemistry

In the past, Gibbs has cut players who've complained about their contracts after just a year or two. And Sean Taylor is complaining about his contract just days after signing...

The guy has made some very poor decisions off the field in a realtively short period of time. I'm not going as far as to say that I would question his character, what I am saying is that his decision making process could be drastically improved upon.

Will that translate onto the field? Who knows, his reputation on the field is what has gotten him this far so I'd have to assume that his off field decision making will not impact his play, but then again.....................

I have to agree with Om. I don't see how you can form an opinion until at least well into his first season. Let's watch him in preseason and into the regular season. He is going to make mistakes or course, but let's watch his development. By the end of next season you should be able make an informed decision on whether he will be a pro bowl player or a bust.

Originally posted by KenF

RDSKNfaithfull,

Complaining about your contract is a locker room distraction that hurts team chemistry

In the past, Gibbs has cut players who've complained about their contracts after just a year or two. And Sean Taylor is complaining about his contract just days after signing...

Have you heard him complain, or has he even been quoted? Who knows what his mindset is now,but he has not made it known and if he is unhappy with a agent that didnt get him all the money he could have got O well no big deal he is in camp and is signed for a steal compared to the other draft picks this year. Things could be a lot worse. You have not heard one coach or one teammate complain about him people are fishing.

Let the man play some football. Maybe 3 or 4 season's worth. THEN let's maybe start to talk about his career path.

That's what we all want. But Sean Taylor seems pretty insistent on talking about it now. If he weren't, he wouldn't have fired his agents and signed new ones. We wouldn't be hearing about "Sean Taylor's hopes" of renegotiating his contract next year on SportsCenter.

Disagreed. I think that although he may, may develop into a player, you do not rest on your college credentials in the NFL. I know that for this knowledgeable football audience, my fellow fans, that i do not need to go through the names of players who were "ballers" in college and didn't do a damned thing in the NFL. He is immature. Let me repeat: he is immature. Do some of you seriously believe that his antics won't affect the team, won't affect team chemistry, and won't affect his play on the field? Obviously, we are speculating, and if he plays well in the preseason, I'll be the first to admit that I was wrong about the guy, but so far all signs point to trouble

Originally posted by KenF

That's what we all want. But Sean Taylor seems pretty insistent on talking about it now. If he weren't, he wouldn't have fired his agents and signed new ones. We wouldn't be hearing about "Sean Taylor's hopes" of renegotiating his contract next year on SportsCenter.

I disagree that he "seeme pretty insistent on talking about it now," Ken. The man hasn't said two words about all this. All we have to go on are the factual reports that the kid has fired, hired, re-fired, and now appently about to re-hire, agents. In today's mega-watt 24/7 news cycle atmosphere, that all plays like soap-opera, I realize. But when it comes down to it ... we know nothing else. Nothing. Least of all what's in his head, who he's listening to, or what it all means in terms of how it will affect his on-field performance now and down the road.

I know it's fun and entertaning to speculate on his character and his motives and his intellect, but in the end that's ALL it is. Raw speculation. Life isn't about a mad rush to put events into historical perspective 12 hours after they happen. It just doesn't work that way.

Least it doesn't to me.

But then again, I'm wierd. :)

Right on, Om.

Hey, the Kid may have just negotiated himself a contract without having to pay a fee. Maybe that was his motivation.

:whoknows:

Sign up the big bucks and don't pay a dime to agents. Maybe this is a strong business decision, albeit not exactly ethical. But then again, I want my safeties unethical and smashing heads all over the place.

Basically... who knows what the Kid is thinking.

This guy has had a ton of off field issues and has taken his first regular season snap yet. That's a sign and people need to stop down playing it.

The guy had a dissapointed look when he was drafted by us. Now he feels like he's underpaid too?

Add those two things together and this isn't good at all.

Originally posted by GIBBS LIVES

This guy has had a ton of off field issues and has taken his first regular season snap yet. That's a sign and people need to stop down playing it.

The guy had a dissapointed look when he was drafted by us. Now he feels like he's underpaid too?

Add those two things together and this isn't good at all.

Well he was a quiet misunderstood person while in Miami and shined.Sean has not been caught with drugs, trying to have sex with minors,beating his woman, The kid has not even bad mouthed anybody. He is his own kind of person.

I wouldnt say people are downplaying anything, I would say some are overreacting because the Press is painting a ugly picture.

First, the idea that Taylor is being painted in a poor light because he is not talking with the media is ridiculous.

That has nothing to do with it.

He has made some poor decisions over the past couple months, and even before he signed his agreement, different NFL insiders were reporting that agents were turning him down as a client and were told "be careful if you sign him and do your homework first"- which led them to believe there was something in his past to be concerned about.

That said........

These things are all minor bumps in the road.

He isn't starting right now and reports (includign another one I just heard on ESPN radio) say he is really struggling with the mental part of camp. That is to be expected with rooks.

If they don't struggle and step right in to the starting lineup, that's a huge bonus but not to be expected.

Roy Williams was EASILY as "NFL ready" as Taylor and despite his good first season stats, he was not a very good player. He got lucky a lot and was burned on command (All but one of his INTs was the result of a tipped pass that fell into his hands that year).

If I were a Skins fan, I would be concerned about what I'm hearing, and would probably be reconsidering my expectations for him in year 1, but by no means would I consider him a bust.....just an NFL rook.

Alright look guys, he has no character problems, he has had some agent problems but thats ok b/c he did sign. He doesnt want to talk to the media simply b/c he is a shy guy, I read about it while he was playing for Miami, he is quiet he doesnt like to talk much, he just wants to play football. Gibbs said he told him at the introductory press conference that he wasnt comfortable talking to the media.

He left that rookie thing b/c he was getting evicted, and he did come back.

He is fine everyone is freaking out over nothing. He wont be a bust have you all seen him in camp!?!?! Wow. He's looked very impressive to me.

And Greg Williams said he needs to work on the termonology and the learning curve, but that he is picking it up pretty fast, comcast cut out the last part of that quote about him picking it up pretty fast b/c they are mad that he wont talk to them.

Archived