Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Just saw The Village

jflagg215

I admit that the frst big twist can be off-putting. Perople were promised a certian degree of monters and suspense (trying not to give anything away) and they got a more 'Human' story. The idiom that the most simple answer is the most likely to be correct applies to the movie, here many peple wanted more of a horror story. I think a weakness is it's predictability. An early version of the script had been leaked some months ago and it was all over the internet. Thre is alo an allusion to a Twilight episode in the plot. (There are some similarities)

As or the movie itself. I thouht it was very well done. The acting, pacing, direction and cinematography were all excellent. There is a scene between Juaquin Phoenix and Adrian Brody that was VERY well done.

Yes, the plot has things in it that can be hard to swallow for some (can't go into detail), but overall it was an excellent film.

Hopefully the twist in his next film ill be that there IS NO twist. That would REALLY suprise people.

i just got back from taking my wife and two boys to "the village." we all actually loved the movie, because it had so many twists in it. and just when you think you've got it all figured out, stuff happens in the end. i happen to really like movies like that. a person outside the theater told me that they hated the movie when they saw it friday night, but came back to try to understand it a bit more, and fell in love with it the second time.

Spoiler Alert-

Question for you guys that saw it. At the end of the movie did you think that they were going to perpetuate the "story" or were they going to give it all up.

I thought that they were going to expose themselves, but two people that I work with that saw it, thought that they were going to keep the story going. It could go either way.

Any thoughts.

SPOILER:

So predictable--I knew from early in the beginning that it took place in modern times, that glass house was constructed out of pure-metal and glass. pure metal. The silverware that they were using at meals could not of been from that time period. Some of the guys were wearing ties, blazers. The schoolteacher had a textbook that was paperback, with one of those shiney covers, which could not of been from that time period. All these things gave it all away. I didn't like the movie at all. The monster outfit they had looked like a pokemon i remember from when i was in elementary school. I donno, seemed like most the people around me got more into it than i did. Screaming and holding onto the people next to them or whatever. IT sucked. DONT SPEND MONEY ON IT. If anything, sneak into it, dont blow a buck on it.

Originally posted by The Gibber

Spoiler Alert-

Question for you guys that saw it. At the end of the movie did you think that they were going to perpetuate the "story" or were they going to give it all up.

I thought that they were going to expose themselves, but two people that I work with that saw it, thought that they were going to keep the story going. It could go either way.

Any thoughts.

Spoiler-------

They were going to prepetuate the story by telling a select few of 'new' or 'future' elders (Ivy, Lucious, etc) once the first elders pass. They even rationalized before Ivy came back that The death of Percy would only strengthen the beliefs of the people in the creatures.

That makes sense BD. It just seemed like that was an option however, William Hurt said something like "we can use this to perpetuate the story, or........." and then all the elders stood up, with the mother of adrien brody being the last to stand. It seemed like the one elder was saying that no matter where you go, you cant run from sorrow, so it seemed like he wanted to give up on the story. I thought that the ending was a little bit abrupt. I guess I like it when they give you a little more conclusion, but I am sure that is how M. knight wanted it to end so that people would be talking about it. Overall it was about a 2.5 out of 5 for me. Good movie, but could have waited til netflix, especially after I spent $17 for two tickets to see it during the matinee showing. They get you at the movie theater.

Spoiler ----

At the end, the guy who helped the blind girl, was sitting at the wheel of the car (I thought with the horn sounding). The ladder was still on the car;

was he sitting there in shock?

or, was he killed to make sure the secret does not escape to the outside?

I'd like to believe the innoncent Ivy killed him. That would be a cool twist to the end instead of trusting an outsider, regardless of what she said when she first met him.

Image if she lied to keep him from talking and then by not taking any chances killed him and jumped over the fence.

umm one thing that was odd that i am not sure if i relates to the actual story line...

in the movie when the blind girl takes the retard to his "room" and makes a deal with me that she wont tell anyone kind of thing... this was basically the first scene that blind girl and the retard was in...

The specific scene i am talking about is a shot where the camera is shooting from inside the room out throug the open door where the girl and the retard was talking... It seemed like house was moving for ome reason because the church that could be seen in the background was moving rght to left while some pieces of furniture in the house was also sliding across the floor...

what was that all about?

Originally posted by Phresh

I don't understand why Noah tried to kill the blind girl. Could someone please explain that to me.

becuase she hit him. He lover her and in his mind, though that if he did (what he did) than she would want him. It's the same irrational behavior that led him to attack her.

**SPOILERS**

Originally posted by BDBuddy23

becuase she hit him. He lover her and in his mind, though that if he did (what he did) than she would want him. It's the same irrational behavior that led him to attack her.

And the fact that Ivy loves Lucious, And i think Noah knew that Lucious was going to be fine (After the stabbing) if she brought the medicne. So he tried to kill her, first to get revenge for hitting her, second so that ivy cant get the medicne in time and lucious dies, and lastly since he knew ivy will never marry him, he wanted to kill her, so that no other man can have her. (Just my opinion)

Also i didnt like one part of the movie, where (Ivy's father i think?) was telling her how her grandfather was a rich man and was able to turn a dollar into five dollars in a fortnight. And then he goes on to say that he was a billionare or something, and that part really struck, a billionare back in those days ??? come on.. And so i was able to predict that they were living in the modern era.

and btw just a little questions that lingers in my mind, if they were truely living in the puritan era or whatever, what medicne was Ivy gonna bring back that would make lucious all better ??

just my :2cents:

Originally posted by mad4comp

**SPOILERS**

and btw just a little questions that lingers in my mind, if they were truely living in the puritan era or whatever, what medicne was Ivy gonna bring back that would make lucious all better ??

just my :2cents:

Good pull on the 'nobody can have her' theory.

Saying he was a billionaire did seem a little off-putting. Especially since money doesn't exist in the socitety, so any Ivy would have no idead the diff between 5 dollars and a billion.

As for the 'Medicines" I suspect it was simple things like antibiotics.

Originally posted by BDBuddy23

I admit that the frst big twist can be off-putting. Perople were promised a certian degree of monters and suspense (trying not to give anything away) and they got a more 'Human' story. The idiom that the most simple answer is the most likely to be correct applies to the movie, here many peple wanted more of a horror story. I think a weakness is it's predictability. An early version of the script had been leaked some months ago and it was all over the internet. Thre is alo an allusion to a Twilight episode in the plot. (There are some similarities)

As or the movie itself. I thouht it was very well done. The acting, pacing, direction and cinematography were all excellent. There is a scene between Juaquin Phoenix and Adrian Brody that was VERY well done.

Yes, the plot has things in it that can be hard to swallow for some (can't go into detail), but overall it was an excellent film.

Hopefully the twist in his next film ill be that there IS NO twist. That would REALLY suprise people.

Well said. I love his films and loved this one. My critique of the movie wold be very similar to yours.

Oh, and he's not really about horror (none of his movies are horror movies, merely creepy to varying extents), he's about examining human reactions through movies about myths and with plots with twists. I love how well he does all the details, with good scripts about people and how they deal with things, great cinematography, no cheesy dialog (e.g. shots where an elephant runs across the screen and a character points and shouts "hey, there's an elephant running over there").

Alright I just back back from "The village" , but don't completely understand the plot. Why do the elders want to keep people in the village? Also why in Lucius' moms drawer does she keep current clips about murders and such things? Im really confused. Did everyone in the village move there after a death in their familys? I feel so lost. :( Somebody help me please.

Originally posted by Fred21Smoot

Alright I just back back from "The village" , but don't completely understand the plot. Why do the elders want to keep people in the village? Also why in Lucius' moms drawer does she keep current clips about murders and such things? Im really confused. Did everyone in the village move there after a death in their familys? I feel so lost. :( Somebody help me please.

SPOILER

The Elders formed the Village based on an idea, a sort of socialogical experiment, thought up by William Hurt's character. They were trying to escape the evils of the outside world that they each spoke of - the murder of the one's husband, death of another's sister, etc. They tried to form a perfect society where the evils of the real world could not exist.

Guess they didn't count on the crazy guy...

Jer

Archived