Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Route 66 West to widen!!!

PaulInVirginia

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

It needs to be widened inside the beltway also to at least 4 lanes. I am fearful in the case of a forced evacuation of D.C that it would be impossible with only 2 lanes on 66 leading West until 495.

From 495 to 234 it needs to be at least 6 lanes. From 234 out to 81 it needs to be 4 lanes. And from D.C to 495 it should also be 6 lanes but that is impossible now.

It needs to be widen in Arlington, but the dam liberal county won't do it, or build a stadium, or let in home depot, or let usa today stay, or let the navy stay, etc... Instead they just bulldoze all the ghetto out of there and then sell 800K townhomes that used to next to the ghetto. Curious how Arlington is getting out of not having to have low-income housing, hmmm.

:doh:

Originally posted by rockANDallstar

yeah yeah thats all good but why dont we got an auto bahn?

Also, nobody in this town seems to know how to merge onto a highway, I can just see somebody coming onto the autobahn at 40 mph get creamed by someone going 120.

...and how is this going to improve the traffic, exactly, with all of the development out past the two 234 interchanges? If the lanes don't extend past 29, then there will be a bottleneck 4 miles west of the current bottleneck start, which is at 234 Business. People will try cut throughs even more through 234 Business and 234 Bypass, and I don't see it imporving all that much.

That being said, I'm glad that they are doing part of it - that's better than never doing anything at all...

Originally posted by jbooma

It needs to be widen in Arlington, but the dam liberal county won't do it, or build a stadium, or let in home depot, or let usa today stay, or let the navy stay, etc... Instead they just bulldoze all the ghetto out of there and then sell 800K townhomes that used to next to the ghetto. Curious how Arlington is getting out of not having to have low-income housing, hmmm.

:doh:

2 lanes on the part of the highway in VA closest to DC is just ridiculous.

Like the article said, the plan was for it to be expanded out to Gainesville but budget issues cut that part out.

(oh, at noon today, the exit to Gainesville was backed up onto 66. And that's a long exit ramp.) :rolleyes: NOON. NOT rush hour.

With all the houses, apartments etc., going in out that way, by the time they do get 66 expanded out that far, it will be 20 years late and totally worthless.

they're adding thousands of homes just in or off of the Linton Hall Rd. area. Add in Haymarket and the other areas out there... :rolleyes:

As for 66 in Arlington, it'd cost way too much for them to seriously consider it.

they'd likely have to pay for some "condemned" homes as well as other major costly measures.

Not to mention it'd take them as long or longer than the springfield interchange is. And create even more headaches. for those trying to cope with it.

skinshokie has it right. that's the way it should be. But it'll never be; that'd be thinking ahead instead of staying 20 years behind.

and if anyone's tried the I95 corridor lately, yikes.

Archived