Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Required Reading- Philly

Renegade7

My goodness, it makes reasonable sense! Even PASTABELLY'S HONEST!!!

READ, READ, READ!!!!:D

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/features/story?page=overview/eagles2004

By Kieran Darcy

ESPN.com

2003 RECORD: 12-4

TEAM RANK (NFL): Defense (20th); Offense (18th)

ADDITIONS:

Free agents -- DE Jevon Kearse (Titans), LB Dhani Jones (Giants).

Acquired by trade -- WR Terrell Owens (49ers), QB Jeff Blake (Cardinals).

Draft picks -- 1. OT Shawn Andrews (Arkansas), 3. CB Matt Ware (UCLA), 4a. S J.R. Reed (South Florida), 4b. OG Trey Darilek (UTEP), 5. FB Thomas Tapeh (Minnesota), 6a. QB Andrew Hall (Delaware), 6b. CB Dexter Wynn (Colorado State), 7a. OG Adrien Clarke (Ohio State), 7b. RB Bruce Perry (Maryland), 7c. C Dominic Furio (UNLV).

SUBTRACTIONS:

LB Carlos Emmons (Giants), RB Duce Staley (Steelers), DE Marco Coleman (Broncos), CB Troy Vincent (Bills), CB Bobby Taylor (Seahawks), OG Bobbie Williams (Bengals), QB A.J. Feeley (Dolphins), QB Brandon Whiting (49ers), WR James Thrash (Redskins), OG John Welbourn (Chiefs).

Eagles 2004: 5 Qs | Team news | Roster | More on Eagles draft

Thu., July 1

Is Owens a good fit in Reid's system?

His brilliant individual playmaker skills aside, Terrell Owens on paper certainly looks like an incongruous fit for a design in which head coach Andy Reid and coordinator Brad Childress prefer to spread the wealth. Yeah, he gives the Eagles and QB Donovan McNabb a legitimate home run threat, but this is a team that has gotten to three straight conference championship games featuring a lineup of doubles hitters. The fact that Philly hasn't gotten beyond the NFC title game clearly was part of the rationale for adding Owens, but no one should expect radical changes from Reid and staff, not just to satisfy one man's ego. If the Eagles were going to cave, Owens would have been wearing his lycra tights around mini-camp without shorts on, right? Think about this: In Reid's first five seasons as head coach, the "lead" wide receiver for the Eagles averaged 55.4 catches, 697.2 yards and 5.4 touchdowns. Only once did the top wideout on the team have more than 60 receptions and never did he reach double-digit TDs. Over the eight years of his career, Owens has averaged 74 catches, 1,071.5 yards and 10 TDs. Just once, in his 1996 rookie campaign, did Owens have fewer than 60 catches and he has scored 10 or more TDs four times. Owens is a splendid receiver, and the Eagles will love his work ethic, plus he is as driven to win a Super Bowl ring as are all the holdovers on the Philadelphia roster. No doubt, Owens is going to be an explosive presence. The question is whether it will be with his words or with his deeds.

What they've added?

What's that age-old expression? If at first you don't succeed … Well, the Eagles keep trying and trying again to get over that hump and get to the Super Bowl. They've lost three consecutive NFC championship games, including the last two at home, but they're going to keep trying. And they've added some pieces for this upcoming season that might be enough to get them to the ultimate game. In fact, many would say the Eagles made the two biggest player acquisitions this past offseason.

On offense, the Eagles have desperately needed a big-time wide receiver for quarterback Donovan McNabb. They finally have that man -- perennial Pro Bowler Terrell Owens, who they acquired from the San Francisco 49ersafter Owens' deal to Baltimore was rescinded. Owens will immediately become McNabb's go-to guy and the attention he receives from opposing defenses should also open things up for the Eagles' other wide receivers, like Todd Pinkston and Freddie Mitchell. Eagles wide receivers caught only five touchdown passes last year; Owens caught for the 49ers.

On defense, the Eagles have added The Freak -- defensive end Jevon Kearse, formerly of the Tennessee Titans. Kearse was once the most feared pass rusher in the NFL, but he's battled severe injuries the past two seasons. He did notch 9½ sacks a year ago and if he can stay healthy, he should provide a big lift to the Philadelphia defense.

While Owens and Kearse commanded the biggest headlines, they weren't the only key offseason additions for Philly. Former Giant Dhani Jones will now be one of their starting linebackers. Veteran quarterback Jeff Blake was brought in as competition for Koy Detmer to become McNabb's backup. The Eagles moved up in the first round of the draft to select offensive lineman Shawn Andrews from Arkansas. He's very big (6-foot-4, 373 pounds) and will probably slide into the starting lineup right away at guard and aid their run-blocking in particular. And third-round selection Matt Ware from UCLA is an excellent athlete who should help Philadelphia in the secondary.

What are they missing?

The Eagles have added a lot, but they've also lost some key veterans that have been a big part of their Super Bowl quest the past few years, particularly on the defensive side of the ball. Their secondary has been their biggest strength, but both their starting cornerbacks defected in the offseason -- Troy Vincent to the Bills, and Bobby Taylor to the Seahawks. Third-year corners Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown will have a lot of pressure on their shoulders in replacing them. Strong-side linebacker Carlos Emmons is now with the Giants. The Eagles picked up Jones to replace him, but Emmons will still be missed -- he was the Eagles' defensive MVP in 2003. And the team gave up defensive end Brandon Whiting in the Owens trade -- but again, they added Kearse.

The losses on offense are less critical. Running back Duce Staley, who had some very productive years for Philadelphia, moved over to Pittsburgh, but the Eagles should be fine with the tag-team of Brian Westbrook and Correll Buckhalter. The team was more than happy to ship out receiver James Thrash and replace him with Owens. Third-string quarterback A.J. Feeley is now in Miami, but Blake will take his spot on the roster. And offensive lineman John Welbourn was traded away after being critical of the team's front office, but Andrews should be able to fill his spot in the starting lineup.

What it all means?

It's clear from the offseason acquisitions they've made that the Eagles are really going to go for it this season. They are built to win now. This is their time and they're not going to be satisfied with winning 12 games, their division, or getting to the NFC championship game. Anything but a trip to the Super Bowl will be a bust.

The great expectations place a lot of pressure on this team. However, so much has to go right for them just to get back to where they've gotten the past three seasons. Will Owens and McNabb mesh well together? Will The Freak stay injury-free? Will the young corners be able to fill the big shoes of their former mates?

Every team has question marks -- even Super Bowl favorites. The Eagles are playing in a much-improved NFC East. It certainly won't be easy. But they have a good chance of playing in Jacksonville next February.

Gone are the days Terrell Owens will be considered a first-round pick in fantasy drafts. Owens is still a fine player, but his move to Philadelphia is not likely to help his stats. The Eagles will still throw to Owens more than their other options, and he should score 10 TDs, but he'll also face many double teams and need to hone his blocking skills, for this remains a running team. Draft Owens as your top receiver, but realize his numbers are likely to go down due to circumstance.

-- Eric Karabell, ESPN.com senior editor

# Play FFL now!

# Try ESPN Insider

Kieran Darcy writes for ESPN The Magazine and ESPN.com.

Originally posted by Renegade7

The Eagles will still throw to Owens more than their other options, and he should score 10 TDs, but he'll also face many double teams and need to hone his blocking skills, for this remains a running team. Draft Owens as your top receiver, but realize his numbers are likely to go down due to circumstance.

-- Eric Karabell, ESPN.com senior editor

I missed this quote this afternoon and now Mr. Karabell has lost all credibility.

Since when are the Eagles a RUNNING team? They have no true #1 RB nor do they want one. The FB carries the ball once a year or so and TO may get the ball on several reverses. The Eagles run the dink-and-dunk version of the WCO. They use the pass to setup the run, on occasion, but their game plan is to throw the ball.

Anyway, I've seen TO throw some decent blocks downfield. I don't think that part of his game is lacking.

The rest of the article is fair. It mentions the changes at CB but doesn't emphatically (and completely incorrectly) state that there will be a big dropoff at the position. Their will be adjustments needed and there will be less experience, but athletically Sheppard and Brown are not a downgrade from Taylor and Vincent. Both are now faster than their predecessors. Lack of experience is the key, though both played through long stretches last season. My one concern is the height disadvantage vs. Jeremey Shockey. Last season Johnson put Taylor on him every key play and he was totally shut down. Now, their tallest CB is a rookie.

I'll give 'em 10 or 11 wins tops, but what ever they get the skins will do better. Why? Because I already predicted the Skins would win the division. Trust me, they will.;)

Sorry to disagree Renegade, but recent history shows the Eagles winning anywhere from 11-13 games unless they are crushed by injuries. I just don't think the Redskins are ready yet to win more than 9-10. But that's another thread for a day closer to the regular season when pre-season injuries can be factored in. If McNabb/Owens/Kearse/Westbrook/Dawkins/Brunell/Portis/Coles/Arrington etc. go down in the pre-season, the whole situation changes instantly. Overall the teams are still too close if one sustains significant injury to key players.

Originally posted by Blazers21

Sorry to disagree Renegade, but recent history shows the Eagles winning anywhere from 11-13 games unless they are crushed by injuries. I just don't think the Redskins are ready yet to win more than 9-10. But that's another thread for a day closer to the regular season when pre-season injuries can be factored in. If McNabb/Owens/Kearse/Westbrook/Dawkins/Brunell/Portis/Coles/Arrington etc. go down in the pre-season, the whole situation changes instantly. Overall the teams are still too close if one sustains significant injury to key players.

Lets not rely too much on recent history of the Eagles. The skins are a better coached and much more talented team then before, and most likely, more talented and better coached then the Eagles. The lose of Vincent and Taylor will be your demise well before it becomes our fault. ;)

for some reason I think the Skins or the Cowboys have the best chance to win the division, like it was in the past. The Eagles, they are not as feared w/o that impressive secondary anymore. Plus, they are still using a RB by committee appraoch, we all loved how well that worked last year. Almost every team has a really good receiver and DE, safety, every team has strengths, but also weaknesses. I dont think they will do as well as they have the past 3 seasons.

Originally posted by Blazers21

The rest of the article is fair. It mentions the changes at CB but doesn't emphatically (and completely incorrectly) state that there will be a big dropoff at the position. Their will be adjustments needed and there will be less experience, but athletically Sheppard and Brown are not a downgrade from Taylor and Vincent. Both are now faster than their predecessors. Lack of experience is the key, though both played through long stretches last season. My one concern is the height disadvantage vs. Jeremey Shockey. Last season Johnson put Taylor on him every key play and he was totally shut down. Now, their tallest CB is a rookie.

IMO it's not just Sheppard & Brown that should be the biggest concern, although it is a concern, for the Eagles it's the nickle & dimes backs. They are going to be the weakest link in the E's secondary. Going up against good experienced 3-4 receivers will be their achilles heel. Just wait & see it will be fun this year.

Originally posted by Hobo

for some reason I think the Skins or the Cowboys have the best chance to win the division, like it was in the past. The Eagles, they are not as feared w/o that impressive secondary anymore. Plus, they are still using a RB by committee appraoch, we all loved how well that worked last year. Almost every team has a really good receiver and DE, safety, every team has strengths, but also weaknesses. I dont think they will do as well as they have the past 3 seasons.

20 rushing TDs & 10 receiving TDs from the backs....... worked for me.

...by the way... our feared secondary was injured most of the season last year and our current secondary did just fine...

Originally posted by aREDSKIN

IMO it's not just Sheppard & Brown that should be the biggest concern, although it is a concern, for the Eagles it's the nickle & dimes backs. They are going to be the weakest link in the E's secondary. Going up against good experienced 3-4 receivers will be their achilles heel. Just wait & see it will be fun this year.

.... you all crack me up.... first off... Smoot isn't exactly "All World" back there.... and Taylor ... though he may be the real deal... has yet to play one down in the NFL .... at least our guys are battle tested and were taught by Vincent and Taylor..... your guy.. .as talented as he may be... is still going to be a rookie... and rookies will make mistakes.....

Lets not rely too much on recent history of the Eagles.

Sorry, Renegade, but it's the only thing you can rely on. The Eagles have been consistent to a fault over the last four years even with massive injuries last season. They are talented, well-coached, motivated and experienced winners (except you-know-when). There is absolutely no reason to believe that any of that has changed. They've fought through tremendous bad luck before and have come out on top in spite of it. I'd be concerned if the Eagles made no moves in the off-season - then player motivation could easily be questioned, but not know. There is nothing to indicate an imminent collapse of the Eagles. It will surprise everyone (except maybe you) if it happens.

I agree with aRedskin to a point. An injury to Brown or Sheppard will hurt due to lack of experienced depth. I have no concerns on nickel-dime coverage however, as they still have one of the best saftey tandems in the league. Additionally, add in Kearse and the Eagles have one of the fastest, mobile defenses as well which is perfect for Johnson's schemes.

Originally posted by TODD

Holy Crap... the "5 Questions" section has 61.4% of the voters saying that the Eagles will be NFC Champs...

Don't believe the hype. :) I won't believe it until I see it, which may never happen. Certainly don't bet the house. :D

EDIT: Plus they're counting my 6,000 votes. Nothing better to do in the off-season.

Its a very unpredictable season in the NFC East for sure. Jim Johnson likes to play a very aggressive defense as we all know putting an immense amount of pressure on the defensive backs. Teams already countered it by punching you in the mouth with the running game but now with Lito and Sheldon back there fulltime you may start to get exposed with big plays out of the passing game as well. Kearse was the "flashy" move but you guys would have been better off retaining Vincent or going after Springs or Winfield. Emmons also is a bigger loss then you all seem to think. Jones is a decent LB, Emmons is a very good one and was the anchor of that D. However, every other team in the East has question marks, none more then our Redskins. Roster turnover was huge yet again, we all know the coaching is gonna prevail but when? Those are questions we don't have answers to. This team is going to need time to gel. Joe Gibbs as our coach should dramatically hurry that process but when it all is going to come together is uncertain. We do however look very very good on paper and have the staff that knows how to win in the NFL and can utilize the talent and make this team a contender very very quickly. Its going to be a very very fun season to watch in the NFC East.

Originally posted by budski

I still think philly will implode too much pressure.....to much better coaching in the NFC East. Owens is already crying about dresscodes in minicamp.

H-O-M-E-R........HOMER!

Blah, blah, blah......would you care explain your POV?

Amazing how Pastabelly goes from know nothing idiot to factual fountain spewing truth as soon as he says "Eagles making a gamble" ;)

Nothing new there, from what I can tell.

The Eagles corners are young and somewhat untested.

Kearse has an injury history.

Owens had a rough ride in SF.

Pretty much standard issue. The Eagles gambled this off season and if things work out, they should be a better team than last year. If they don't work out, I still say they were gambles that had to be made.

Originally posted by f_dallas

Amazing how Pastabelly goes from know nothing idiot to factual fountain spewing truth as soon as he says "Eagles making a gamble" ;)

Who said Pastabelly is a factual fountain spewing truth? This article was written by Kieran Darcy not Pastabelly.

Originally posted by budski

Uh sure I'll make it simple Gibbs (3) Reid (0)

Oh please!!:doh:

Give it a rest and come back to the present. Gibbs won 3 SB's/ kudos to him and those teams. (Key word being those) The Skins will definitely be more prepared this year but will not win more than 8 games.

Let's be realistic, all you HOmers out there, before you stick your chests out and pronounce the Skins are Gonna be Div champs, you better beat Dallas. :stop: It's not that tough ya know, the Eagles and Giants have been doing it for years!!:laugh:

Archived