Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

our secondary!!

skns4life

why is it that everyone bashes our secondary saying that we are in trouble because we dont have Bailey anymore??? our secondary is waaaaaaaaaaay better than more than half of the teams in the NFL...but you dont see them bashing any other teams secondary....go's to show that everyone always has to say something bad about the skins!! i'd take our secondary over every other secondary in the NFC east also!!!

tell me about it. and the gayest thing is, somepeople accutally think that terence newman is the best CB in our division. it used to be bailey, then vincent, then taylor, but since they all left, that leaves u with

SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!

i hate crap like that, just wait till TO big mouth gets rocked by taylor.

Originally posted by [[ghost]]

tell me about it. and the gayest thing is, somepeople accutally think that terence newman is the best CB in our division. it used to be bailey, then vincent, then taylor, but since they all left, that leaves u with

SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!

i hate crap like that, just wait till TO big mouth gets rocked by taylor.

ummm, he is the best cb in the division...

edit:said league instead of division

They took a step back losing Champ but Sean Taylor eases that bloe a little bit. Shawn Springs needs to dedicate himself one more. I remember Terell Owens taking him to school and pulling out that Sharpie signing the football. Springs stated after the game that he thougt it was rather funny when Owens did that. As a competitive corner it shoulda irked him some instead of smiling about it. Anyway the secondary is decent but its not gonna matter with no pass rush. I hope they obtain someone for that piss poor d-line. Its pathetic. :puke:

bottom line is this....like i said, our secondary is better than a lot of other secondaries around the league and if it is one of our "weaknesses" than im happy cause it doesnt look like its a weakness at all on our team....just shows how good our team is going to be

I think our secondary is pretty solid, so long as we remain injury free. Terrance Newman is also a great CB and is only on the rise. People bash our secondary for a few reasons:

They think Springs will get injured again leaving us to go with the 3rd guy, Walt Harris, who is also somewhat injured right now.

We're relying on Taylor, an untested rookie, the NFL is different than college, and Taylor is unproven, and that he needs to show why he was rated as the top safety since Ronnie Lott.

We have a highly overlooked Bowen and Iffy at the other safety spot, who critics claim are not stellar.

To us, we see a Springs and Smoot who will be an awesome tandem, and Taylor and Bowen being awesome safeties, with solid and potential starters in Iffy and Harris. To critics, they see a Smoot with only one great year, no Bailey, a typically injured Springs, a not healty Harris, and an unproven Taylor.

When you have the best corner in the leauge, the only way to go at that position is down. That doesn't mean the secondary as a whole in general, but that's what they tend to infer. Shame, looks like someone isn't doing their homework.;)

I think our secondary will be strong and any weaknesses can be masked by getting a good pass rush from the linebackers. I expect Marcus Washington and LaVar Arrington to force quicker throws when they blitz. Gregg Williams will have the corners playing close and aggressive. Watch for Sean Taylor to play close to the line of scrimmage blitzing some or covering Shockey. I think Ifeanyi Ohalete will beat out Bowen and start at the other safety position. Walt Harris will most likely be nickel and Bauman the dime.

I'm curious about the def line. Everyone is expecting it to be weak and I'm wondering what the coaches saw in the people they signed. I mean these are some experienced coaches why would they go out and get presumebly average defensive linemen knowing that was one our weaknesses? Thoughts?

Originally posted by budski

I'm curious about the def line. Everyone is expecting it to be weak and I'm wondering what the coaches saw in the people they signed. I mean these are some experienced coaches why would they go out and get presumebly average defensive linemen knowing that was one our weaknesses? Thoughts?

I have to believe the coaches saw something in last years film, where they feel that don't need to go out and get a big name defensive lineman. Maybe when Williams was watching the film with Gibbs, he said something like "don't worry my schemes and the personnel we have will get to the QB". I mean they took a safety with the pick and they could have taken some defensive linemen.

We actually have a superior secondary to last year. We are deeper at both corner and safety. We have the ability to do a lot of things in the secondary we couldn't do last year because of the mix of players we have. The bottom line, we lost Bailey and Terrell from last year's secondary at this point. We've gained Springs, Taylor, Harris and Brown. We're not on the lower end of that equation.

Anyone else find it funny that our two outside linebackers would make for ideal pass rushing defensive ends?

I think that if we can, we should have Upshaw and Daniels drop into coverage as lb'ers. That would be fun to watch... :laugh:

D'Pablo,

I guarantee you that you'll see Arrington and Washington at rush end, with Griffin and Daniels/Wynn at tackle on a number of downs, using Barrow in the middle, and perhaps going with SIX corners and safeties. Not just in obvious passing situations either. Williams is going to get as much speed out there as he can to keep teams off balance. If it's not an obvious running situation I can see a lot of speed out there without too great a sacrifice of giving up a big running play. A good running play, sure. Just not a big one :).

I'm still a fan of Champ and of Stephen Davis too..., but "times, they are a changin'"

Change is inevitable these days and I think we have made the best out of the Spurrier Experiment.

We have a better running back and our secondary is looking up as long as Springs can stay healthy...

i wonder how much Ralph Brown and Walt Harris will really help. i think Harris is a respectable corner but that knee might keep him from helping. can brown be a good nickle man? to me Bauman is very talented but he has a major issue with being only 5'6. Still i think we will have good depth here but maybe a surprise as to who makes the final roster. do we have a guy who can start on the outside and play well besides Springs (hopefully) and Smoot? Harris (maybe, if healthy) R. Brown (???) ,Bauman (inside as a 3rd corner, yes..outside for a whole game , too many physical mismatches). do i dare say...Ade Jimoh

Ade Jimoh supposedly had great practices, but everytime he is put in a game, he geets burned, maybe just jitters. Hopefully with a year under his belt he can make something happen for the Redskins. I still think Ohalete will beat out Bowen at safety, but they both may start if Taylor doesn't get to camp on time.

Archived