Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Darrell Green?

Mr. S

so I started my job last week, and am almost done with another week of orientation/set up. One of the people im working with is a huge redskins fan and apparently does know a bunch of them and has good connections, ends up being a VIP at a lot of events.

She told me today some stories about Darrell Green at this camp that was held a year ago, about how he only let people enter his tent upon personal invite, not even she could get in with her VIP pass. Later he gave this speech and suppoedly ended by saying that 'if you dont have my autograph yet you prolly wont ever get it.' She even said his former teammates like Ken Harvey werent even invited guests to meet him personally. Later the players were supposed to play some football with the kids, and a little boy asked Darrell to sign his football and Green said "i dont sign autographs". Ive heard other rumors of how Darrell is not a nice person as much as we are thought to believe, yet I never thought it was this extreme. Later both Ken Harvey and Mark Mosely asked my co-worker what she thought of Darrell and his speech and she said she did not approve. Ken Harvey told her he was gonna chew Darrell out the next day. He is prolly annoyed with how everyone likes him, but I personally dont think thats right anymore.

Just wanna hear others thoughts/experiences, I know similar threads have been posted before.

My mom went to training camp a couple of years ago to get his autograph for my son. When she approached him he told her I'll only sign the autograph if you make a donation to my foundation. She did.

I'm kinda uneasy about that...but he's such a great person otherwise I don't pay much attention to it.

That doesn't sound like DG. I was at Fedex for his last game and he walked around the entire stadium and shook hands with everyone. But then again I didn't ask for an autograph I mean what's the big deal about someone signing their name on something. I thought it was great just to meet him and shake his hand and have a word or two...

I have no problem with players not wanting to sign autographs.

I wouldn't judge a man by whether he signs or not. Some people have more patience than others. Everyone that actually knows Darrell loves him. He always has teammates showing up at fundraisers with him to this day.

Don't hate the playa.

Ebay may be the biggest reason why players avoid signing now. Too many people are profiting from these guys signing. I'm sure that 80% are innocent auto seekers, but there are too many vampires that seek them for money. I remember going to Cardinal baseball games just a few years ago and I saw a 12 yr old with a backpack full of 8x10's. I asked why he had several of the same photos of Mark McGwire and he said with a smart @ss tone, "because it makes me money. What's it your business?" I wanted to backhand that little brat SO bad. What the kid did was get one sig from him, move down further in line and get another and so on. Mark wasn't watching who he was signing for. He was just grabbing items from outstretched hands and signing them.

There are many stories of Darrell being offish in certain situations. He does come across as this nice guy on camera and I am sure at times, in public, but I have heard many stories about him being rude to people as well. I contributed to his foundation and I can honestly say he went out of his way to write me a letter and was very personal in it. Most athletes would not have been. I also went to a little get together at the ESPN Zone in D.C. Autographs were strictly off-limits for that particular event. Lately I have noticed, he is really into sending out the Christian message whenever he gets a chance. The only thing I can come up with is he is moody and he has his reasons. Some days he can charm you to death, sometimes he doesn't want to be bothered.

for one, it probably gets old - you figure people have been hounding him every time he goes in public for the last what, 22 years?

The other thing is I heard somewhere right after he retired, he wants to encourage donations to his foundation. - kind of use his celebrity for the cause. Maybe that gives soem people the incentive to donate.

I can imagine that for someone in the public eye, or a local celebrity such as a Darrell Green, the whole issue of autographs could be a real burden if you don't set parameters. Any time they go out they're susceptible to being asked to sign. Maybe not a problem with chance encounters. But they sign one at a restaurant, others see that, and they ask too. Pretty soon he either has to say "No" to someone, or a big chunk of his time is spent signing. And at events where there are lots of people, such as a camp or other event, his entire time could be spent signing autographs.

So he says "No" sometimes, and then those people talk about what a prick he is. A no-win situation.

I agree with Dan T.

It's his choice, and in some cases he probably doesn't have the desire or time to cater to every person he meets.

As far as the signing of autographs go. There may be a specific purpose for doing that and not because he's a prick.

For instance, I once met Wyclef Jean (Fugees) when I was a kid, I was about 9 or 10. I asked him for an autograph and he declined, his reasoning was because he feels that his music is just a gift that makes him no more or no less than any other man or woman. He felt that signing an autograph would put him on a pedestal that he didn't think he deserved.

Originally posted by Hobo

so I started my job last week, and am almost done with another week of orientation/set up. One of the people im working with is a huge redskins fan and apparently does know a bunch of them and has good connections, ends up being a VIP at a lot of events.

She told me today some stories about Darrell Green at this camp that was held a year ago, about how he only let people enter his tent upon personal invite, not even she could get in with her VIP pass. Later he gave this speech and suppoedly ended by saying that 'if you dont have my autograph yet you prolly wont ever get it.' She even said his former teammates like Ken Harvey werent even invited guests to meet him personally. Later the players were supposed to play some football with the kids, and a little boy asked Darrell to sign his football and Green said "i dont sign autographs". Ive heard other rumors of how Darrell is not a nice person as much as we are thought to believe, yet I never thought it was this extreme. Later both Ken Harvey and Mark Mosely asked my co-worker what she thought of Darrell and his speech and she said she did not approve. Ken Harvey told her he was gonna chew Darrell out the next day. He is prolly annoyed with how everyone likes him, but I personally dont think thats right anymore.

Just wanna hear others thoughts/experiences, I know similar threads have been posted before.

:bfd:

Originally posted by Hobo

I've heard that he's a real jerk. That if someone wants an autograph, they have to give him $20 to "help the kids." It sux too, because you spend your whole life living a lie...:cry: <jk>

I used to go to same church as Art Monk & his family. He was always really nice. Thankfully, he was my "idol" thru-out his career, not Darrell.

well, yeh, the opinion does seem very mixed, as it was in the last thread. I do understand that he may hate the enormous amount of attention he gets, and thats why he only had invites enter his tent last year. However, just one grievance, he heads a charitable youth foundation, that is doing very well, yet when a child at best maybe 12 or 13 at the oldest asks for his autograph and he refuses, I dont care how busy/annoyed you are, but there's a little admirer of yours who wants your autograph, you should give it out.

skin-n-vegas, yes, I do use prolly a lot, sorta my shorthand on the internet, never fear, i use grammar check if i actually have to turn something in, i like being smrt.:)

I imagine that his demeanor has a lot to do with how he is approached as well. If you come over and interrupt him or something, you are gonna have a hard time, and rightly so.

If you are respectful and wait until he is ready to leave a restaurant or something, it may be different.

I couldn't imagine walking in a celebritys' shoes when it comes to privacy. I can't say whether D. Green is rude or not but it can be kinda of grinding living a normal life. I'm a very private person myself. Sometimes people just want to go about their business without the hassle. It might not be personal on his part. He could give out 99 straight autographs and that 100th person might not get one for some reason. That 100th person will be the one to view him as a bad person. I rarely ask for autographs myself. I usually will comment though and say something positive like "keep up the good work". If they're bad player though, I'll just say what's up? :point2sky :2cents:

Archived