Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Whowill have a Better Year our Fred Smoot or Denvers Champ B.

jRight

Since Smooty should be our number one CB, do you guys think he will have a year on par with Champ or better then CHamps.

I am thinking this may be Smooty's break out year. just think if we have a pass rush.

Mainly it depends on what you would concider as a better year. If you mean getting INT's, Champ has never really gotten a lot. He does his job of keeping the reciever from catching the ball. As for Smoot, although he's now the incumbant, our new DC said there will be no true #1. Smoot will not always be on the #1 reciever. If he were, the question is, could he handle it. We'll find out at times this year.

I believe Fred will want it more since Champ already received his big payday. I noticed CB was listed on the Forbes 50 top sports entertainers. This most likely will be the only year since he received such a large bonus.

I have to believe he is going to have a great year. First off, he had a good year last year with no pass rush. With a different scheme, he could get a bunch of picks. Although picks are not a true indication of playing cornerback, I think he is just going to have a great year, I also have to believe if he were to get juked, Taylor will be back there laying the lumber so that will help a lot. His big test will be against TO. Don't be surprise if he has a quiet year. In other words, you won't hear his name called too often on TV. That will be the true indication of how he is playing.

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

I guess you can judge this by how well Fred Smoot covers Amani Toomer since Bailey never seemed to be able to. :D

I agree with giantsfan!!! Of course, Collins won't be throwing...that was the other part of the equation. Collins threw at Bailey all day.

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

I guess you can judge this by how well Fred Smoot covers Amani Toomer since Bailey never seemed to be able to. :D

You know Tom, that wasn't even nice to say. Guess it doesn't really matter, even the Redskins can sack Palmer, Warner is done, and Manning, he's not ready yet.

Smoot and Bailey have differents attributes as CBs. Bailey is the perennial cover CB and can shut down the best. He covers so well that QB don't even risk throwing the ball near his reciever. Smoot however uses his closing speed when he covers and gives the WR more space. This style of play allows him to close and intercept the ball. Smoots style whilst extravagant is a lot more risky because a quick WR will burn him if he doesn't watch them closely. I think Smoot will have the better year because a lot of teams are going to go after him, to see what he's like and I believe he is up to the challenge. For Bailey, he will have his usual good year, but a lot of opposing offenses won't throw at him and they will go after other weaknesses on the Broncos Secondary.

Originally posted by SkinsNut73

Well, I think Smoot will do well...but I think Champ will have the better year. Just compare the receivers they will be assigned to cover.

Champ will get the aging Tim Brown/Jerry Rice combo, Eddie Kennison and Johnny Morton, etc.

They are pretty wide open in the West. I plan on seeing #24's back a lot this year

I am actually surprised anyone would try to make a comparison between these two. Champ is the best corner in the league hands down. Give it up that Smoot will even come close. I think he will get 5 picks this season which I will be content with, but please he will not match up to the 10 Bailey could easily get this year.

Champ Bailey is physically a better corner and DEFINITELY a better tackler, but I think Smooty has more heart, desire, and character than Champ. I think these qualities will make the guys around him better. Denver needs a Champ Bailey worse than we do and we needed Clinton Portis worse than they do. I'm very happy with the trade and with Fred Smoot as our co #1 CB.

SmooooTYY!

:point2sky

the thing is now that Champ will have more heart to play in Denver, we used to at one point think he had heart for our team, but that seemed to dwindle. Smoot is good, hes not great though, and Champ is great. Champ is an awesome and has been healthy cover corner, and Smoot, well he has to try to do big plays, but he does try and get the job done. Id still rather have Champ on my fantasy team if I did one. Both can still have a 'good' year though.

Originally posted by VAsBeachBoy

I am actually surprised anyone would try to make a comparison between these two. Champ is the best corner in the league hands down. Give it up that Smoot will even come close. I think he will get 5 picks this season which I will be content with, but please he will not match up to the 10 Bailey could easily get this year.

All I know is Smoot better play better than Champ did last year. We don't need an average recievers like Armani Toomer and Booker from Chicago looking like All-Pros again.

Originally posted by afparent

All I know is Smoot better play better than Champ did last year. We don't need an average recievers like Armani Toomer and Booker from Chicago looking like All-Pros again.

Champs worst year (last year) is still better than what we will ever see from Smoot. Listen he was great played injured and says all the right things he is a great guy, but he still gave 15 yard cushions still had help in coverage, still gave up third downs. Dont be fooled because his expectations are not nearly as high.

I really like Smoot. Bailey was fine and all. But IMO he is a better run stopper than coverage guy. For his size and speed it seemed that he was often getting beat by lesser talent WRs.

Smoot has speed, same as Deion, and uses his speed well. He is not nearly the tackler that Bailey is. But Smoot was challenged more often and made a lot of plays.

Too early to call. Like someone said earlier at least 6 of Champs games are against so-so receivers.

Originally posted by SkinsandTerps

I really like Smoot. Bailey was fine and all. But IMO he is a better run stopper than coverage guy. For his size and speed it seemed that he was often getting beat by lesser talent WRs.

Smoot has speed, same as Deion, and uses his speed well. He is not nearly the tackler that Bailey is. But Smoot was challenged more often and made a lot of plays.

Too early to call. Like someone said earlier at least 6 of Champs games are against so-so receivers.

Is that a joke no corner in the league is smoother in the hips than Champ.

He is the most athletic corner in the league for as much as some skins fans here are counting on scheme to help our team this year, how in the world can you throw out the fact Champ was playing man and zone coverage was rolling to Smoots side:doh:

Its like it goes over heads around here:rolleyes:

Originally posted by RDSKNfaithfull

Is that a joke no corner in the league is smoother in the hips than Champ.

He is the most athletic corner in the league for as much as some skins fans here are counting on scheme to help our team this year, how in the world can you throw out the fact Champ was playing man and zone coverage was rolling to Smoots side:doh:

Its like it goes over heads around here:rolleyes:

LaVar is the Most athletic LB. But Ray Lewis IS the Best.

Ben Wallace is a more athletic F-C , But Tim Duncan is much better.

I never said that Champ sucked did I ?

I said that Champ for a great as he supposedly is got beat a lot when he was challenged. Champ IMO is living off of reputation, much as Deion did in Dallas. Once people started to challenge Deion he looked average. Same as Champ looked last year and he wasnt challenged that much.

Smooth Hips. So what. I want a playmaker. A difference maker. Not saying that Smoot is an all world player, I just said that I like the guy and he has a very good upside.

Archived