Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Maybe Brunell wasn't overpaid afterall...

Dirk Diggler

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1823834

This is a pretty big chunka change for a "caretaker" :

ESPN.com news services

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Carolina Panthers rewarded quarterback Jake Delhomme for his Super Bowl season Thursday by giving him a five-year, $38 million contract extension that included a $12 million signing bonus.

Delhomme was entering the final year of a two-year, $4 million contract. He was scheduled to make a base salary of $1.37 million. This deal will keep him in Carolina until 2009.

The 29-year-old Delhomme came to the Panthers with only two career starts, for the New Orleans Saints. Delhomme relieved Rodney Peete at halftime against Jacksonville in the first game of the season and led the team back from a 17-point deficit to win 24-23.

He started 19 straight games after that, leading the Panthers to playoff victories over Dallas, St. Louis and Philadelphia.

Then he threw for 323 yards and three touchdowns in a last-minute 32-29 loss to the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl.

Delhomme completed 266 of 449 passes for 3,219 yards and 19 touchdowns.

"It's kind of a dream come true," Delhomme said after Thursday's practice. "When you're coming out of college undrafted, you're just trying to hang on by a thread. Luckily I did. It's funny how things work out."

The deal came on the final day of the team's three-week minicamp.

"Everybody in the league is trying identify their quarterback and when you identify that guy, getting him locked up for the future is paramount to your success," Panthers head coach John Fox said. "I'm glad it happened before we got away from here."

Delhomme was also relieved to get the deal done.

"I've been around guys who haven't performed their best with a contract lingering over their heads," Delhomme said. "Having that behind me, now it's just total football when training camp starts."

Like a lot of former backups who came out of nowhere to get starting jobs, Delhomme used NFL Europe as a proving ground. He played for Amsterdam in 1998 and Frankfurt in 1999. His 67.3 completion percentage for Frankfurt in 1999 put him on the map as a potential quarterback of the future.

The Panthers also used the offseason to wrap up Delhomme's favorite target, receiver Steve Smith, with a six-year, $28 million contract.

John Clayton, senior writer for ESPN.com, and information from The Associated Press contributed to this report

That really makes Brunell's 7-year 43$ pale, sort of. I really doubt that Delhomme will even remotely resemble the quarterback he was last year. Was there anyone else who thought some of his "clutch 4th quarter" throws there underthrown ducks that their receivers made great adjustments to?

edit: Sorry, 7 years 43 million.

Big mistake. They shoulda waited until after this year to see what happens. Teams keep doing this and I can't figure out why. Every time a new QB has one good year his team decides to offer him a huge contract extension. And a most of the time it doesn't work out like the team wants.

Just look at Mark Rypien's career. He led the Skins to a 14-2 record and won the Super Bowl and after that he didn't do much more.

Originally posted by TheSchwartz

Big mistake. They shoulda waited until after this year to see what happens. Teams keep doing this and I can't figure out why. Every time a new QB has one good year his team decides to offer him a huge contract extension. And a most of the time it doesn't work out like the team wants.

Just look at Mark Rypien's career. He led the Skins to a 14-2 record and won the Super Bowl and after that he didn't do much more.

Sounds just like the Skins. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by TheSchwartz

Now that you mention that, Carolina should have done what Pittsburgh did to Tommy Maddox. Maddox had another year left (last year), and coming off a pro bowl caliber year, he wanted an extension. But Pittsburgh waited and Maddox busted, now they have had to find a future franchise QB (Roethlisberger). Definately what Carolina should have done.

It has been hard for me to say whether or not Mark Brunell is overpaid. I STILL say that he was the best FA QB on the market this offseason, including Collins/Warner/Garcia. I also think if I were in Joe Gibbs' shoes and I was looking at Brunell and over his shoulder I could see Bill Parcells approaching I would whip out a BIG contract and get it done before Bill tapped Mark on the shoulder.

But do I think he'll be starting after game 8 of this year? No. (Injury, probably.)

Do I think he'll be starting any year after this? Not if Ramsey is healthy.

It IS a BIG contract for a clipboard quarterback.

Only THIS clipboard quarterback is MARK BRUNELL.

You knw what? I'm gonna let the capologists worry about this one because I think I'd rather have an expensive Brunell over a cheap Delhomme. (Assuming I have Patrick Ramsey, of course.)

:cloud9:

Has anyone heard what Tom Brady is going to be asking when he becomes a free agent next season. I can't remember where I heard it, but his agent said that since he has already won two super bowls and has proven he can lead his team, he says Brady deserves a P.Manning deal with between $40-50 million dollar signing bonus!

What happend to the game being played for fun man! This money is getting outta hand. I dead serious, If I got drafted by the Redskins, I would create my own deal. The NFL is a dream, and I'd be playing it because it was a dream, not the money.

1) Brunell was the best FA available and he was probably overpaid. It's possible to be both.

2) Delhomme is quite different than Maddox in that he led his team to the Super Bowl and was within a hair of winning the damn thing. He won at St. Louis and at Philly to get there, too.

Maddox took over during the season and managed a playoff win but Pittsburgh lost on the road in Tennessee.

The offseason after Tom Brady won it all, New England tore up his rookie contract and gave him a contract similar to the one Brady just signed. And that's the top front office in the league we're talking about.

3) I'd take Brunell + Ramsey over Delhomme. For the money, it's about the same.

Originally posted by Chachie

It has been hard for me to say whether or not Mark Brunell is overpaid. I STILL say that he was the best FA QB on the market this offseason, including Collins/Warner/Garcia. I also think if I were in Joe Gibbs' shoes and I was looking at Brunell and over his shoulder I could see Bill Parcells approaching I would whip out a BIG contract and get it done before Bill tapped Mark on the shoulder.

But do I think he'll be starting after game 8 of this year? No. (Injury, probably.)

You knw what? I'm gonna let the capologists worry about this one because I think I'd rather have an expensive Brunell over a cheap Delhomme. (Assuming I have Patrick Ramsey, of course.)

:cloud9: [/quote

Delhomme makes more then Brunell!

Originally posted by Chachie

:cloud9:

If Delhomme was available for cheap and you've seen him play pretty good last year, you're still saying that you'd still take Brunell for his current contract over an inexpensive Delhomme? You've got to be kidding. :doh: I love what Brunell was but he's not that anymore. I don't even mind picking him up for insurnace but at his price he has to produce in my book. Collins, Garcia and Warner were available for cheaper. Don't get this twisted, I think Ramsey is the QB of the future and I think he's out best QB right now but based on the Skinz payment of Brunell and a 3rd rounder, I'm gonna be pissed if he (Brunell) isn't the starting QB. That looks dumb to me to bring in a back up QB for that price when there were others available. The only advantage was that the Skinz got Brunell early.

yeah, he should of done better than that in his contract year.

Rypien was around the coaching staff a little longer, THEN did the ultimate in his contract year, so its a little different. - Carolina obviously beleives in Delhomme and don't want him distracted with the contract this year, so good for him.

Originally posted by DCMONEY

If Delhomme was available for cheap and you've seen him play pretty good last year, you're still saying that you'd still take Brunell for his current contract over an inexpensive Delhomme? You've got to be kidding. :doh: I love what Brunell was but he's not that anymore. I don't even mind picking him up for insurnace but at his price he has to produce in my book. Collins, Garcia and Warner were available for cheaper. Don't get this twisted, I think Ramsey is the QB of the future and I think he's out best QB right now but based on the Skinz payment of Brunell, I'm gonna be pissed if he (Brunell) isn't the starting QB. That looks dumb to me to bring in a back up QB for that price when there were others available. The only advantage was that the Skinz got Brunell early.

...and its stupid to have good home owners insurance until something happens.

Originally posted by jimster

...and its stupid to have good home owners insurance until something happens.

Thank you, Sir! ;)

DCMoney-

Wuttup! That was just my way of saying that I REALLY like Mark Brunell. During the years when we never HAD a franchise QB, he was the one I admired the most who played elsewhere.

I also think that Delhomme (and Carolina) will take a slide this year. There defense may get them back into the playoffs but I don't think they will have the "magic" of last year. Jake had some BIG breaks go his way last season en-route to a Super Bowl appearance.

Davis' best years are behind him and how long can his WRs make him look better than he is?

(All stated in my humble opinion. No offense to any Panther-fans.)

Carolina played things safe and signed Delhomme to an extension before he had a chance to become a free agent. Imagine if they didn’t give him an extension and he had another solid year; he could shop himself around and leave for the highest bidder. Carolina doesn’t have anyone young to take the job over anytime soon, Chris Weinke may still be around but I think he is older then Delhomme, and Rodney Peete is older then both of them put together! Watch for Carolina to pick a franchise QB of the future next year in the draft…

What happend to the game being played for fun man!

BAAAWWWWWAAAHAAAAAA:40oz: :40oz: :40oz: :40oz:

Fun is one thing, the business of football is another. You have just a couple years in the league and football players are the lowest paid of any of the major sports.

They are the lowest paid despite having the shortest average career and contracts that aren't gauranteed past the signing bonus.

In some cases, players get greedy, but these guys have anverage of 3-4 years to get paid.

If they are big name players, the franchise, league, and TV will make zillions off of them. No shame in asking, right?

Both QBs are grossly overpaid. Brunell is an aging vert who was beating out by a rookie and was going to get cut.

Delhomme was a slightly average QB playing in a system that benefitted him. They are both being paid like elite QBs, when both of them are clearly not.

Brunell was not beaten out by Leftwich. That is fallacy. The man was injured - missed a month - and then management + coaching staff made a decision to go with a rookie for better or worse.

That's like saying Carson Palmer beat out Jon Kitna. Please. Gimme a break. Don't be so naive.

Originally posted by The X-Factor

Ok maybe injuries were the main facotr in him losing the job in the first place. However, he wasn't going to keep it all year long anyway. You knew that Leftwich was going to take over sooner or later because of what they had invested in him.

X-F, that's probably true. But that doesn't have anything to do with Brunell's capabilities either.

Actaually, Delhomme's contract isnt so bad after all. Very similar to the backloaded contract Brunell has. Not a bad deal afterall.

DELHOMME'S DEAL NOT SO SWEET?

Initial reaction around the league to Jake Delhomme's new $38 million contract in Carolina was that the Panthers overpaid for a guy who has not yet proven conclusively that he's one of the top quarterbacks in the league.

But the hard numbers, as reported by the Charlotte Observer, suggest that the Panthers haven't yet broken the bank on Delhomme, since his contract is back loaded -- and it essentially gives the team another year or two to evaluate whether he's truly the long-term answer before making a big financial commitment.

Per the Observer, Delhomme received a signing bonus of only $6.1 million, which will be spread over six years. In contrast, Rams quarterback Marc Bulger recently got $9 million as part of a four-year deal.

Also, Delhomme's base salary dropped from $1.37 million to $535,000 for 2004. The deal actually reduced his 2004 cap number from $3.52 million to $3.3 million, according to the Observer.

Next season, Delhomme will receive a salary of $655,000, and he's slated to earn roster bonuses totaling $3 million over the first two seasons of the deal (and we wonder whether the Observer's calculation of the 2004 cap number factors in any roster bonus he'll receive this year).

The day of reckoning likely will come in 2006, when Delhomme's salary rockets to $4.8 million. The team also must decide in 2006 whether to pay a $3 million roster bonus in order to pick up the 2009 season, the final year of the deal.

The deal wraps up with cap numbers in excess of $8 million in 2007, 2008, 2009.

As we see it, if Delhomme plays well enough to persuade the team to pay out the back end of the deal, the Panthers likely will want to re-do the contract before 2006 in order to better manage the overall cap consequences. And if Delhomme doesn't tear it up in 2004 and 2005, there's a good chance that he'll be asked to swallow a pay cut come 2006 -- and that the team won't pay the $3 million roster bonus to secure the 2009 season.

In the end, then, Delhomme's deal might be nothing more than an exercise by both sides to nab a headline ("5 years, $38 million!") inflating Delhomme's perceived worth -- and suggesting that the Panthers are willing to spend money for key players.

As quarterback contracts go, this one hardly is a blockbuster. For now, it's more like a two-year, $10 million deal.

Archived