Noble ready to rejoin Redskins aft

NACSkins

It's actually an article from the Star-Telegram

The Article

Posted on Sun, Jun. 13, 2004

Noble ready to rejoin Redskins after rehabbing

By Charean Williams

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Redskins defensive tackle Brandon Noble, who missed all of last season after major knee surgery, is ready to compete with Jermaine Haley for the starting job next to free-agent signee Cornelius Griffin. Wearing a bulky black brace from the thigh to the calf of his left leg, Noble participated in a few plays last week during the team's third and final minicamp of the off-season.

"It's not real football yet, but it felt good," Noble told Washington reporters. "Each day, I'll get a little more confidence in it; it'll feel a little stronger, and, hopefully, by September, I'll be ready to go.

"At this point, my job is to listen to my trainers, listen to my body, make sure that I don't push too hard, but, at the same time, work enough to where I get the rust off and go out and help my team."

Noble, who started 41 games in four seasons with the Cowboys, signed a four-year, $6.53 million deal with the Redskins in the 2003 off-season. Before playing his first regular-season game for Washington, Noble tore his anterior cruciate ligament, his medial collateral ligament and dislocated his kneecap in an Aug. 16 preseason game with New England. Doctors said his career was in jeopardy.

"A lot of people said he would never play again, and he's back out there. It said a lot about him," said coach Joe Gibbs, adding no Redskin has worked harder this off-season.

Cutting ties

The Packers said goodbye to former Heisman Trophy winner Eric Crouch shortly before the start of their June minicamp. He played safety in the post-draft minicamp, but club officials had reservations about his toughness.

"I didn't think he was truly a defensive back," coach Mike Sherman told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "We gave him a look, looked at him on punt returns and didn't feel like it was going to work. In fairness to him, I thought it was best to release him."

The Rams drafted Crouch as a wide receiver out of Nebraska in the third round in 2002, but he quit early in training camp. The Packers picked him up and played him at quarterback in the 2003 off-season, but he quit again on the eve of training camp. Crouch had another change of heart when the Packers agreed to give him a shot at safety this year.

Sherman said cutting ties with Crouch now might allow him to pursue a quarterbacking career in the CFL.

First-season blues

First-year coaches are expected to make an immediate difference. Usually, they don't.

Last year, the Cowboys' Bill Parcells was the only new coach to post a winning record (10-6). Marvin Lewis started fast in Cincinnati but finished 8-8. Jacksonville's Jack Del Rio went 5-11 after taking over a 6-10 team. San Francisco's Dennis Erickson went 7-9 after taking over a team that had finished 10-6 the previous season. Under Steve Mariucci, Detroit showed modest improvement, from 3-13 to 5-11.

Two years ago, Jon Gruden and Bill Callahan met in the Super Bowl in their first seasons with their teams, but they happened to take over Super Bowl-ready Tampa Bay and Oakland, respectively, coming off 9-7 and 10-6 seasons.

How much difference do new coaches make? Not as much as they hope, or fans might think. Over the past five years, more than twice as many first-year coaches (25) had non-winning records as winning ones (12). For every new coach who makes a team happy immediately, two are disappointed.

Every new coach this year is taking over a losing team. The best record was the Bears at 7-9.

McGahee ready

Running back Willis McGahee has participated in all of the Bills' minicamps this spring and says his reconstructed left knee has given him no problems.

"It feels good, and it's going to get better," McGahee told The Buffalo News. "I just let it flow naturally. I don't try to rush anything. I just take it one step at a time."

Concerned Coles

Redskins receiver Laveranues Coles revealed late last season that he had played most of the year with a painful right big toe. Seven weeks from the start of camp, the toe is still bothering Coles, whose 82 catches were the most by a Redskin in 14 years and whose 1,204 yards were the most in nine years.

"I'm just like, 'Please,' " said Coles, who declined to sit out minicamp practices. "If it continues to go the route it's going, which is getting better, and with the treatment they're giving me, I'll be fine. I just hope it doesn't return to its form of last year. It was bad, but the [training] staff has been taking very good care of it. It's not inflamed. I can move it. Last year, I couldn't move it at all. It hurt just to walk."

Coles played through the pain, choosing not to sit even though the Redskins were out of the playoff race early, because he wanted to prove he deserved his seven-year, $35 million contract.

Race for the cure

Seattle quarterback Matt Hasselbeck's wife was among the 14,000 finishers last weekend in the Seattle Race for the Cure, which raised more than $1 million for breast-cancer research. Hasselbeck, whose grandmother has cancer, remained on the sideline.

"I was going to [run], but it was too close to minicamp," he told the Tacoma News Tribune. "Plus, with all the people at the event, I don't know if I could handle losing to my wife."

Material from other NFL writers was used in this report.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Noble, who started 41 games in four seasons with the Cowboys, signed a four-year, $6.53 million deal with the Redskins in the 2003 off-season. Before playing his first regular-season game for Washington, Noble tore his anterior cruciate ligament, his medial collateral ligament and dislocated his kneecap in an Aug. 16 preseason game with New England. Doctors said his career was in jeopardy.

Dear Mr. Snyder-

You NEVER learn, do you? Let me spell this out for you in print so you can refer to this every time you call your role model (Jerry) for advice or players.

NO MORE EX-COWBOYS. EVER.

EVER!!!!

Now look. I HAVE to root for Brandon to make a great recovery and I don't blame him for being here. But you HAVE to feel stupid for being taken in by ANOTHER, okay? ANOTHER ex-cowboy.

The poor guy will NEVER fulfill his potential and the injury WILL keep him down for the duration of his tenure as a Washington Redskin. YOU know it and I know it. Why? BECAUSE HE CAME FROM DALLAS TO WASHINGTON.

Every single time you bring in an ex-cowboy it's GOING TO F**K YOU OVER. Plain and simple. Your fans know it, Joe Gibbs always knew it, and guess what-- Jerry Jones knows it!!!!!!

Stop the madness, Danny.

Signed, Chachie from ExtremeSkins.

Now some of you guys may reply by saying, "Hey man. Leave Brandon alone, we need him this year."

To you all I say this- We needed him LAST YEAR. The EX-COWBOY couldn't make it. He won't make it this year either.

NO MORE EX-COWBOYS. EVER.

EVER!!!!

:point2sky

Originally posted by Chachie

Every single time you bring in an ex-cowboy it's GOING TO F**K YOU OVER. Plain and simple. Your fans know it, Joe Gibbs always knew it, and guess what-- Jerry Jones knows it!!!!!!

While I agree with your sentiment that we don't like former Cowboys on our team:dallasuck , I have to point out that we want to get the best players (or players who can contribute and make the team better) regardless of where they come from. Based on our two most recent acquisitions, I would think Joe Gibbs agrees:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63592

The Washington Redskins on Wednesday signed Demetric Evans and Darrell Wright, defensive linemen who played this year in NFL Europe.

Evans had 24 tackles and 2 1/2 sacks with Cologne, while Wright had 20 tackles and three sacks with Amsterdam.

Both have been in the Dallas Cowboys organization. Evans, undrafted out of Georgia, played two seasons with the Cowboys as a reserve. Wright, undrafted out of Oregon, sat out his rookie season last year after breaking his hand at Dallas' training camp.

You do know Brandon Noble went to First Colonial High in Virginia Beach and was the state high school player of the year his senior year right?

Noble is a hometown guy who came to the Redskins from the Cowboys. It makes absolutely no sense that you wouldn't want this guy simply because he happened to play for the Cowboys.

"Sorry, we have cut you, it seems that at one point in your life you had contemplated cheering for the Cowboys and that just won't cut it on this team."

Originally posted by Dan T.

But Chachie, how do you REALLY feel about it?!?!

Strongly?

:laugh:

Actually, let's take a look at the past. I am trying to think of a player in the past that came here from Dallas and actually HELPED our franchise. I'm not talking about making one or two big plays while here. I mean really HELPED. Maybe Calvin Hill, but he was past his prime when he played for us and I don't think we went to the playoffs during his tenure as a Redskin RB. That's it.

C'mon, people. Name one.

(edit)- Should this be a new thread?

Originally posted by TheSchwartz

You do know Brandon Noble went to First Colonial High in Virginia Beach and was the state high school player of the year his senior year right?

Noble is a hometown guy who came to the Redskins from the Cowboys. It makes absolutely no sense that you wouldn't want this guy simply because he happened to play for the Cowboys.

"Sorry, we have cut you, it seems that at one point in your life you had contemplated cheering for the Cowboys and that just won't cut it on this team."

I VERY much dig where you're coming from, Schwartz. (LOVE the name! :) )

And I really have nothing against the players themselves. The guys are just trying to play NFL football. However, I always balked at taking on players that come from your most despised opponent. If you refer to my last post in this thread I think you'll agree that it has never worked for us. (EVER.)

(edit)- "contemplated" cheering for the Cowboys? LOL

Strongly?

:laugh:

Actually, let's take a look at the past. I am trying to think of a player in the past that came here from Dallas and actually HELPED our franchise. I'm not talking about making one or two big plays while here. I mean really HELPED. Maybe Calvin Hill, but he was past his prime when he played for us and I don't think we went to the playoffs during his tenure as a Redskin RB. That's it.

C'mon, people. Name one.

(edit)- Should this be a new thread?

That is more a reflection of the poor FO evaluation of the talent acquired than the team that they come from. You could probably find several teams in the NFL the Redskins have gotten players from that have not contributed significantly. Should we then never sign players from any of these teams regardless of how good we think they are, because we know they'll fail here because every other player that has come from that team has? (Like the advertisements for stocks and mutual funds say: Past performance does not necessarily predict future returns.) That would seem to limit the talent pool from which we could pull. Why would we want to do that?

Originally posted by China

Should we then never sign players from any of these teams regardless of how good we think they are, because we know they'll fail here because every other player that has come from that team has?

That's correct. We should not. :laugh:

I'm going to go ahead and predict that Brandon Noble will be a waste of our time and money and that NO ex-cowboy will EVER have a major positive effect on the Washington Redskins. I feel fine making this prediction because if I turn out to be wrong I will still benefit as a Skinfan.

BTW- Still waiting on a name. Can't think of one, can you?

;)

Oh come on... Deion was the greatest ex-cowboy ever!

Chachie, I do think you may be a bit harsh on Noble. I think he could have been a good one last year for us, and who knows? Maybe he can come back from this injury... But I DO know that Joe Gibbs is liking the effort he is seeing from Noble and thats good enough for me.

That's correct. We should not. :laugh:

I'm going to go ahead and predict that Brandon Noble will be a waste of our time and money and that NO ex-cowboy will EVER have a major positive effect on the Washington Redskins. I feel fine making this prediction because if I turn out to be wrong I will still benefit as a Skinfan.

BTW- Still waiting on a name. Can't think of one, can you?

;)

Nope, can't think of one. All the players I think of (with the possible exception of Calvin Hill as you mentioned) didn't do much here. For example, Alvin Harper, Deion Sanders, (there's some safety Norval brought in whose name I can't remember).

However, I still think it's irrelevant for evaluating future players.

Alvin Harper failed first with the Buccaneers before being brough to D.C. so it had nothing to do with the fact that he was a Cowboy, he just wasn't a very good receiver.

The Redskins never really landed a big time free agent from the Cowboys that was supposed to make an impact. In the Norv days most of the signings were second tier free agent types that contributed on special teams.

Chachie, your theory holds water back in the 60's and 70's when the two teams had a real hatred for one another. But that fierce rivalry between the players just isn't there like it was way back when. These guys are all about business now and it makes no difference what team they come from or go to.

Originally posted by TheSchwartz

The Redskins never really landed a big time free agent from the Cowboys that was supposed to make an impact.

Deion wasn't a big time free agent that was supposed to make an impact?

Actually, Channel 4 ran a small piece on Noble last year after we signed him.

Growing up in Va. Beach he and everyone he knew were Redskins fans and said that after Dallas had picked him up (undrafted) out of Penn State, his best friend's mother wouldn't speak to him for the entire time he played for them. - When he signed with the 'Skins, he said after it was announced one of the first calls he got was from her, and she said "This is great, I can talk to you again"...he then said "I understand how deep this rivalry runs"

This day and age of free agency, with the holes created in free agency and the need to fill them - its going to happen sometimes.

Originally posted by essex03

Oh come on... Deion was the greatest ex-cowboy ever!

Chachie, I do think you may be a bit harsh on Noble. I think he could have been a good one last year for us, and who knows? Maybe he can come back from this injury... But I DO know that Joe Gibbs is liking the effort he is seeing from Noble and thats good enough for me.

Hi, essex-

Hey. If Noble kicks ass, we all win. Including ME. But if he DOESN'T, I'm gonna say I told you sooooo! :bow:

(edit)- Hey, where's my sig? :mad:

I think your sig only shows up in the your first post on a page and not on the subsequent ones. Look back on page one of this thread and the same thing applies, you have it in the first post but not in the later ones on the page. This is done to save bandwidth.

Wasn't that safety Washington? (was it James?).

Another one of those one great season Cowboys that went and cashed in on it with a bigh contract and never lived up to the billing . Who was that one DB that had the INT's in the SB - the one with the Steelers? Larry Brown? Anyway he got agiant contract and failed for the Raiders I think.....

Archived