Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ogunleye + Gardener?

D'Pablo

Originally posted by D'Pablo

What if we traded our first next year for Ogunleye and signed Gardener to a rich two year deal? Both guys appear to be at an impass. Our D-line could be ridiculous... We might even have the money for it.

ok come back to reality. garder is not worth a rich contract and i'm not sold on ogunleye being worth a first rounder. albet it would be a very low first round pick hopefully we are going to pick 30th or later. 1 season does not make a player.:wewantd: :point2sky

I'd give a first rounder for Ogunleye even though much of his success is due to being opposite of Jason Taylor. But if the man who got the most out of Gardener is having second thoughts, I think I'd leave him alone...

Honestly, Ogunleye+Griffin+Gardener+Wynn makes one great/amazing one gap defensive line... All they'd be asked to do is kill the QB or RB. BTW, grabbing a one year wonder in the NFL is still by far less a crapshoot than the NFL draft. At least you know Ogunleye did it against NFL caliber players.

Originally posted by Oldskool

with the small window that we have for Gibbs to be here i'd trade next years 1st rounder for Ogunleye in a heartbeat.

I do believe though that we couldnt affford both he and Gardener.

OMG!!! I agree with you! :laugh:

Originally posted by Skyward72

I'm not in favor of trading a first rounder for a guy that had one good year. If our team still needs improvement next year lets build it through the draft. Lets stop trading our draft picks.

Are you saying you wouldn't draft him with a first round pick? I will take a young probowler who had 15 sacks in the NFL any day over a college hotshot. He had 9.5 sacks the year before (his first full season in the NFL), so how is he a one year wonder? Last year we gave up a first round pick to the Jets for Coles. What did the Jets do with that pick? Which of last years first round picks was better than Ogunleye?

The only reason not to give up draft picks is to get cheap players. First round picks, especially early ones, certainly don't come cheap. They cost about the same in bonus money as premier free agents.

Take a look at his career stats:

93 Adewale Ogunleye

DE

Height: 6-4

Weight: 255

Born: 08/09/1977

College: Indiana

NFL Experience: 5

DEFENSIVE STATS

Year Team Games Total Tckl Ast Sacks

2001 Miami Dolphins 7 3 1.0 2 0.5

2002 Miami Dolphins 16 44 32.0 12 9.5

2003 Miami Dolphins 16 62 43.0 19 15.0

TOTAL 39 109 76.0 33 25.0

Who keeps bringing these threads back? The Redskins have about 5 million in cap space. Hooray? We haven't signed Sean Taylor yet. Super-Agent Drew Rosenhaus wants to get Ogunleye a contract similar to Jevon Kearse. Kearse got an 8 year, 66 million dollar contract, over 16 million guaranteed. Chance? No. None. Not even if we traded Rod Gardner.

Originally posted by Skyward72

I'm not in favor of trading a first rounder for a guy that had one good year. If our team still needs improvement next year lets build it through the draft. Lets stop trading our draft picks.

So, you weren't in favor of us getting Coles? We didn't really trade him for a first rounder, but we gave up a first rounder to get him.

With that said, I don't know if we should go after the guy, because he's going to want way to much. I think that we wait until next season. This season the team will be fine, next season we can continue to improve the team.

Not enough money, just NOT enough money!

Plus, giving up picks has just GOT to stop.

Unfortunately for those of us that wanted the DL fixed, I think we're just gonna have to hold what we have now, hope that the coaches REALLY can make it work and add talent next year:doh:

SHEEESH, I hope this is the last off season I have to say that!

Archived