Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MSNBC: U.S. hiring plans near boom levels

jbooma

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5214916/

Survey finds employers gearing up to add jobs

Updated: 7:24 a.m. ET June 15, 2004NEW YORK - U.S. companies are gearing up to create jobs at rates not seen since the height of the 1990s boom, a survey released Tuesday showed, adding to evidence that job growth will keep the U.S. economic recovery rolling.

Following two months of strong government payroll reports, the survey is a boon to President George W. Bush in the run-up to elections and will likely confirm expectations that the Federal Reserve will raise U.S. interest rates at the end of June as it moves to beat off emerging inflation.

Thirty percent of polled U.S. employers plan to add to their payrolls in the July to September period, the survey by Manpower Inc. showed. That is up from 20 percent a year earlier and 28 percent in the April to June period.

The survey hit its highest level of 35 percent in 2000, powered by the Internet-fueled boom.

Far fewer companies now plan to lay off employees, the survey showed, making the net year-over-year increase in employers planning to create jobs the largest in the history of the Manpower survey, which was started in 1976.

The survey, by the world No. 2 staffing company, polls 16,000 U.S. employers and is adjusted for seasonal spikes and dips. It is monitored by many economists for indications on corporate hiring sentiment.

"It is at levels that were in place pre-recession," Manpower Chief Executive Jeffrey Joerres said in a telephone interview. "As more stability is occurring in demand, they (companies) look at their future saying, 'I am feeling good.' They have gotten off the fence to start hiring."

The survey comes as job-growth begins to catch up with U.S. economic expansion, scotching talk of a 'jobless recovery' and bolstering Bush's claims that his policies create jobs, a key election battleground.

U.S. employers added a larger-than-expected 248,000 jobs in May, according to the Labor Department, following 346,000 in April and 353,000 in March. The 947,000 jobs created in the March-May period make it the strongest three-month stretch in four years.

The solid rate of job creation also makes it more likely that the Fed's policy-makers will ratchet up U.S. interest rates from current 1958 lows when they meet June 29-30.

The quick change in employers' outlooks comes as demand surges for products and services.

The percentage of companies that do not foresee changes in their workforce fell to 59 percent from 65 percent a year earlier and 62 percent in the second quarter. The percentage of employers intending to shrink their workforce fell to 6 percent from 9 percent in the year-earlier quarter, unchanged from the second quarter.

"If you look at the overall atmosphere, we still have geopolitical issues, we have an election year," Joerres said. "But companies are looking at their own business and saying, 'even with the noise I have to do something to expand my business."'

Originally posted by Rock-Bufford

Do the lifeguards with their summer jobs count?

I don't think that this is referring to lifeguards:doh::

U.S. employers added a larger-than-expected 248,000 jobs in May, according to the Labor Department, following 346,000 in April and 353,000 in March. The 947,000 jobs created in the March-May period make it the strongest three-month stretch in four years.

This survey is done by large companies not mom and pop establishments.

Wow. this is great news... Bad news for Kerry though. He's just about to whoop up on George Bush for being an incompetent who has shrunk the job base by 1.5 million private sector jobs, down from three million jobs lost earlier in the Bush administration. On Pace for being the First President since HERBERT HOOVER and the GREAT DEPREASION to actually have a net loss of jobs over a four year term and ZOOM BOOM BANG.... ALL the Sudden out of the blue.. Like mana from heaven.. Like calvary coming over the hill, who could have predicted it?

More jobs.. no...

The pomise of more jobs.. no...

An article about a promise of a promise for more jobs...Excellent!!.......

YEAHHHHHH!!!! I believe it too.. I really do... I would never have predicted that Bush would try to pre-empt the fact that he's an incompetent boob who've presided over the loss of a million and a half jobs with the promise of a promise for more jobs... That will work, really it will..... I'm already feeling kind of tipsy and jovial about 4 more years of Bush...

Yea you guys. Did you happen to catch the congressional report about jobs and China which came out today? Now that's some news I thought you boys would be sinking your teeth into... what with the congress being a majority of Republicans!!

When the headline changes from "Survey finds employers gearing up to add jobs" to "Survey finds employers adding jobs

Tell you what. When the Bush administration actually goes to a net positive job creation of say 2 jobs then you can celebrate. Economy created 11 million jobs under Clinton in his first term, but you can set the bar down to two jobs for Bush first and only term. Not sure anybody in the country will be celebrating with you though but If.... If George goes net positive 2 you can break out another package of chalk for all your cave drawings, perhaps we'll let you sacrifice a chicken or something.....

Hmm this cant be right Kerry was talking about the lack of jobs

Then he said inflation and higher interest rates are coming even tough Greenspan said inflation is low and there is no reason for a hike in the interest rate today.

So apparently Greenspan doesnt know what he is talking about

The DOW closed down -0.01% today. I guess they agreed with me and discounted this report.....

On a darker note for the administrations new found pride in their econmic planning today it was release by NPR that 28% of the new jobs created since May have gone to undocumented/illegal workers.

At least one advocacy group for these folks came out with a press release saying that if Bush gives them the vote they will certainly vote for him. His economic policy's have been a boom for their comunity....

So maybe their is hope for bush in 2004.... NOT!

Originally posted by thew

The DOW closed down -0.01% today. I guess they agreed with me and discounted this report.....

then again you wouldn't think because it ended very high the other day and people will selling their stocks for a profit now would you :doh:

Originally posted by chiefhogskin48

Let's hope I'm one of the jobs added. Anyone in need of a research associate, I'll have my resume to you in a heartbeat. When my name comes up for season tickets, I'll have to have some way of paying for 'em after all. :D

what's your field? I work for a Biotech company in Montgomery County.

Donna Brazil, Gore's campaign manager, was on Matthews or Russert last week and said this is the worst economy since the Depression. Any jobs being realized now are bad jobs.

Huh? Ok.. Donna... whatever you say. "Here's your sign."

Archived