Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If we were in cap hell...(as people say every year)What Star would you cut & why?

michael_33

I believe I'll post a poll just to get everyone's idea's on this matter....

I also realize and I'm thankful that this is not a reality post...But I am curious of what the true value of our superstars are...

Note:I will not include our new additions from this season...(ala...Portis,Brunell and so on)as they have not even stepped on the field...

I most definately have to go with ROd Gardner...Despite prior production(1000 yard season) Instead of cutting him I believe that we can get someone valuable for him to shore up our defensive line cause you have to worry about Lavar and Marcus Washington's durability being used as defensive ends in certain packages to put more pressure on the QB

Originally posted by Leon Phelps

I most definately have to go with ROd Gardner...Despite prior production(1000 yard season) Instead of cutting him I believe that we can get someone valuable for him to shore up our defensive line cause you have to worry about Lavar and Marcus Washington's durability being used as defensive ends in certain packages to put more pressure on the QB

Rod Gardner's contract is nowhere close to being absurd. It's still the rookie contract, so he is only making slightly over $1 milllion/year.

You would certainly look at Samuels right now because of the lack of production. However, after he rebounds this year it will be hard to let go of him.

I voted for Gardner, but could have voted for Morton. The only thing that held me back from voting for Chad was the fact that he was moderately sucessful last year as a situational/3rd Down RB...he has a knack for finding the holes, and I think will have a solid year returnign kicks this campaign...he does make a lot, though...

Originally posted by RedskinsMarchingBand

If Coles toe continues to bother him I say we cut him in 2006 I think he is schedualed to make over 10k that year.

DAMN!! Ten thousand dollars!!! What a load of money for a superstar, All-Pro WR to be making! I hope that we all make more than that!!:laugh:

I also realize and I'm thankful that this is not a reality post...But I am curious of what the true value of our superstars are...

Won't this be a version of reality next year for the skins?

They won't al be cap cuts, but aren't a couple of them ridiculously high on the cap figures mor coming into FA?

By the way, I voted for Samuels. He used to dominate.....he's looked like slop for the last 2-3 years, IMO. He reminds me of Tra Thomas on the Eagles.

All the size/talent- completely gutless and inconsistant.

I think the Skins are already going to let Samuels walk regardless.

Drafting those back to back offensive tackles pretty muched signaled the begining of the end for good ol' Chris as I remember interpreting it back in April.

There is hope, though, as Samuels is a man of upmost character and Gibbs does love character.

I think the FO has a plan... and they've got guys targeted as potential cuts next offseason in order to shore up their cap for 2006.

Wynn.... WAY to much money for his production. He's a definite cut after this season. We can sign a FA or start one of the roster reserve boys to give the team what he gives them. Solid effort.

Upshaw... he's going to have to really step it up this year to be taken off the list. A couple of personal fouls, aka selfish plays, and Gibbs will have his pink slip taped to his locker after the season.

Rod Gardner.... he must become the reincarnation of Art Monk this year in order to keep from being used as trade bait. Even still, he may still be traded to a WR needy team if he can command good value. McCants, Thrash, and possibly Standeford may be his replacement. I say Standeford because the kid has great hands, deceptive speed, and smarts similar to Art Monk.

Chris Samuels.... I believe the drafting of Mark Wilson and the continued progress of Brandon Winey could be writing on the wall for Samuels. He must become a force and surefire Probowler in order to merit a renegotiation of his contract. He too could be HUGE trade bait should he perform well this year and make known his intentions to "break the salary cap" with an extension. Bugel may work wonders with both Winey and Wilson, making Samuels expendable to the highest bidder.

Originally posted by The Dark Horse

I think the Skins are already going to let Samuels walk regardless.

Drafting those back to back offensive tackles pretty muched signaled the begining of the end for good ol' Chris as I remember interpreting it back in April.

There is hope, though, as Samuels is a man of upmost character and Gibbs does love character.

Drafting two knuckleheads on the second day of the draft will result in the end of Chris Samuels? I don't think people understand the value of an all-pro tackle. Look at the Miami game from last year when that guy Winney was in. Jason Taylor had a field day on Patrick Ramsey and caused him to leave the game with some jarring blows. Its not like Brunell or Ramsey will survive without protection. Samuels, when motivated and healthy, is a dominant left tackle who excells at both aspects of the position. We've structured our cap so we can hold him this year....let's see how he does this year. If he merits a true all-pro performance, I say we restructure with a big bonus and defer the cap hit. He'll deserve it. If he stinks, then we're going to stink.

p.s. we're not going to be able to trade Samuels. This isn't the Champ Bailey situation, Samuels will have a 10-13 milliion dollar cap hit for next season and teams will simply wait for us to cut him instead of trading for him...There are no other redskins out there...

Samuels is a dominant run-blocker, but has never been a dominant pass blocker. Hugh Douglas owned his ass. His only good year was in 2001, when all Schotferbrains did was run the ball. 1/8th of our cap is going to Samuels this year. Way too much $$$. If he doesn't re-negotiate his contract next year, he's gone for sure. And don't be surprised if one of those 2nd day draft picks turns into a stud. The weakest member of the Hogs was arguably May, who was a 1st rounder, whereas the late round guys and the undrafted went on to become mega-studs.

Arrington and Samuels are the only true stars you have listed. Gardner and Smoot could become stars but aren't now and wouldn't provide much cap relief anyway. Wynn Noble and a few others will be cut at the begining of next off season in order to give Snyder the cap room to go shopping again. All Arrington's cap hit this year is proration from his signing bonuses so you'd only save about 500K this year and would take a huge dead player hit in 05.

That leaves Samuels and with 6M of salary this year and a cap hit over 9M next year you could save some serious cap space by axing him. Even if he signs a big extension next year if there isn't a CBA extension before he signs he'll likely have a cap number near 8M because next season signing bonuses can only be prorated over 5 years instead of the usual 7 years. He'll want what he would have made in salary in 05 plus what he would have received as a UFA in 06 combined into a signing bonus around 20M. I think their long range plan doesn't include him and their hope is one of your later draftees develop enough to play ROT in 05 and Jansen could then move to LOT.

Originally posted by terpfan

does cutting win save us a significant amount after the penalties? if so... get him OUT of here!

If you cut Wynn now you'd save 2M this year and take a 1.7M hit in 05. That would put your dead player charge next year at about 7M which I believe would be more than the dead player charge for 29 other teams combined after the 6/1 cuts.

Here's another Chris Samuels replacement. I like this guys measurables and I see nothing major as a weakness that Buges cannot make a strength.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2004/draft/players/53100.html

Quinn Christensen

BIO: Two-year starter that's played both guard and tackle.

POSITIVES: Smart, competitive blocker with both size and growth potential. Patient, efficient and uses outstanding body positioning as well as blocking angles to keep defenders from the action. Quick in his head, immediately picks up stunts or twists and works hard. Good hand combat, strength and adequate blocking for the run.

NEGATIVES: Not explosive off the snap or effective on the move. Gets tall the longer he must sustain blocks.

ANALYSIS: Efficient in all aspects, Christensen plays with an excellent feel for the game. Improved his game the past two seasons and the versatility to be used at several spots could help him slide into the late rounds.

PROJECTION: Early Sixth Round

From a team perspective, I'd cut whomever was the most expensive and easiest to replace. It wouldnt matter if that person were Lavar, Samules, Wynn or Upshaw. It would come down to whats best for the team.

That being said Samules is on the short list.

I went with Samuels as his is one of the most expensive contracts on the team now it seems. I would also say Wynn cause we really are overpaying him and could prolly be just as good at dline(not saying much) if we released him.

I dont get peoples logic with Gardner, he isnt a big contract or anything that is hurting us like Samuels is, plus hes still a solid 2nd receiver and the only receiver on our team other than Gardner that is proven at #2 is Thrash.

Archived