Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

S. Taylor returning kicks/punts???

Invictus56

James Thrash will be returning beside Morton.

Didnt the Gints do something similar with tragic results a few years back... something about learning mistakes from the past and not repeating them. Just my 1882 1/2 pennys' worth.

That would be a mistake and a half, maybe once in a very very very extreme instance. But i dont want my first rounder back there with everyone gunning at him.

Plus Morton and Thrash are very capable, and there are other less meaninful players that could be put back there before Taylor.

didnt we have a similar thread like this already, someone said itd be like Green returning a few times at key points? Ill just say again its pointless, plus Taylor's a rookie and needs to focus on learning the game.

Why in the hell would you want Sean Taylor to return kicks?!

We have two good ones back there in Thrash and Morton. (anyone remember Thrash almost making this team from his pre-season kick returns alone when he was here the first time?)

Also, if I remember correctly, WR Jafar Williams returned kicks at Maryland over the years (eventhough I dont think he has very good hands).

What happened to WR Justin Skaggs? I thought he was in camp this year too... didnt he return kicks in pre-seasons past?

Taylor could return punts, he is one of those well rounded multi faceted Swiss Army knife type players. :)

Looking back at the draft, when it was Winslow or Taylor, I’ve started to think that Taylor’s versatility may have had some bearing on the Skin’s decision to choose him. Lets all hope he gets his glory being a punishing ball-hog safety, but he does seem to be able to be put into other situations if needed. Perhaps we’ll see a Gardner to Taylor touchdown! :laugh:

Sean Taylor

In 34 games, he recorded 188 tackles (130 solos) with a 4-yard sack, seven stops for losses of 21 yards and two pressures ... Also blocked two kicks ... Intercepted 14 passes for 306 yards in returns (21.9 avg) and three touchdowns ... His 14 pass thefts rank fourth on the school's career record list, behind Fred Marion (16, 1978-81), Bennie Blades (19, 1984-87) and Ed Reed (21, 1999-2001) ... Only Reed (389) gained more yards on interception returns in school history ... Added eight punt returns for 154 yards (19.3 avg) and a score, 86 yards on three kickoff returns (28.7 avg) and also scored on a 47-yard reception.

I know you guys have sen Thrash retunr kicks before, so I'll just add from my experience with him returning as an Eagle.

1. He sucked at returning punts- he was just no good at it.

2. He was suprisingly effective as a kick returner.

I know Morton is the man in DC, but as a backup KR, there probabaly aren't many out there as effective as Thrash.

The thing with him...it looked like he had straight line speed, but not much quickness. On Punts he just sputtered until he got smacked. On Kicks, he'd just pick a hole, run as fast as he could, and break some tackles.

I was very impressed with him last year when Westbrook got hurt.

For all those thinking it's pure crazyness for a 1st round defensive pick to return kicks what would you do with DeAngelo Hall from VaTech. The kid has wheels like no other and has great returning skills/instincts. I think it would be foolish for the Falcons not to utilize his talent in this regard. A return touchdown can shock the other team and change momentum instantly. Remember the beginning of last season when Dante Hall was viewed as a possible MVP canidate? There is always a chance for injury but sometimes the rewards outway the risks. :eaglesuck

"For all those thinking it's pure crazyness for a 1st round defensive pick to return kicks what would you do with DeAngelo Hall from VaTech. The kid has wheels like no other and has great returning skills/instincts. I think it would be foolish for the Falcons not to utilize his talent in this regard. A return touchdown can shock the other team and change momentum instantly. Remember the beginning of last season when Dante Hall was viewed as a possible MVP canidate? There is always a chance for injury but sometimes the rewards outway the risks."

Well, yeah, but.... to echo everyone else's thoughts. Morton was brought in here last year to do exactly what you're talking about... 2 years ago, HE was the hotsh!t return guy around the league that everyone was talking about. if he's on the roster, he's the #1 return guy, and I don't see why you would bring Taylor in during "key" situations (why take Morton out in "key" situations?).

That would be an extremely folish move.

If Taylor is doing that then what is the point of having morton and thrash?

Besides I'm sure G Williams will not want one of his core players put in a position in which he is sidelined with another rookie safety like Sean Jones

Archived