Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN NFL 2005 -- $20 this August

Spear

Yesterday, Sega and Take-Two announced a partnership in which Take-Two would handle the publishing and distribution of all ESPN Videogames sports releases for the next few years. The idea was about creating lower-priced titles, but no one expected the prices to be this low. According to Gamestop.com and EBworld.com, ESNP NFL 2005 is set to ship in August for a mere $19.99. That's right, you get a full football game loaded with impressive features for the price of a budget title. That is, if the price is to be believed.

IGN

That's an uber- bargain. I don't care how attached to Madden you are, an equally good football game for less than half the price is going to be tempting.

And get of load of these graphics on the Xbox version. The little ripples in the jerseys is a result of normal mapping. And the Helmets are nicely environment mapped.

espn-football-friday-20040604113350583.jpgespn-football-friday-20040604113349927.jpg

espn-nfl-2005-20040608060233426.jpg

I've never bought a Sega football game before. Looks like this is the year.

Originally posted by SkinsFan589

If ESPN goes to $20, wouldn't Madden lower their price a little bit too.

if this is true, then it will set a precedent on video games, and im sure other companies will follow suit. It makes sense that if you offer products at a lower price, more ppl will buy.

if this is true, then it will set a precedent on video games, and im sure other companies will follow suit. It makes sense that if you offer products at a lower price, more ppl will buy.

Yikes....

I'll bet as many companies have tanked with that notion as have succeeded.

It all boils down to the product- if their game is comparable or superior to the average user and sells at half the price, they'll sell tons of games and possibly become the standard.

On the flipside, I don't buy a game just because it's cheaper. Same goes for the game system.

How many consoles have you seen come and go despite being $50- $100 less than the competition with comparable titles and graphics?

There is no way in hell any game would sell at $20. Some nerd probably put up a phony just to get kicks outta knowing he got peeps to talk about it. Anyways if it did I'd get both, and also it would probably mean that the game sucked (hint the low price)!

Go check out Gamestop.com and ebgames.com, both have it listed at $19.99.

I don't think this is the start of any kind of trend. It's more like a fit of desperation. Sega (from what I've heard) makes a great football product that is outsolf by at least 10:1 by Madden every year for no other reason than because people are comfortable with the series. They don't feel the need to give something else a try.

And even with this new price, I still don't think it'll outsell Madden, but they'll definitely narrow the gap and grow the amount of people willing to buy next year's game, when it goes back to its regular price (probably).

The toughest thing is going to be getting the word out. With that price point, their advertising budget is probably close to zero.

I looked at Gamestop.com and it looks to be real. It's $19.99 if you preorder it online. It states that GameStop.com prices are valid for online purchases; in-store prices may vary. Also, you must pay for shipping which is $9.99 for next day and 6.99 for 2 day and cheaper the longer it gets. Still is a good deal.

I've only ever played Madden. It's the one game I buy every year, but I've been hearing great things about the ESPN game.

Originally posted by In Flames

I think alot of companys are doing this because the new systems will be out soon.

Sega knows they have a quality product, they've had it for a couple of years to be honest. I personally play NCAA Football series the most, then Madden because most of the college boys play that, and ESPN because its still a great game. Having said that, a lower price tag than Madden will definately turn people over, and if the game is as good as advertised, they won't go back. If Sega keeps up with the lower tag for the ESPN series, we'll have a price war that can only benefit the consumer.

Looks like they are going for EA's throat this year. I also have an unconfirmed new release date of July 28th.

I already ordered mine. This is coming right after Sega announced that Take-Two Interactive will publish their games. Take-Two has been known to drop prices, just not like this.

Five Reasons Why ESPN NFL KICKS ###:

Why ESPN Will Kick Arse

New Release Date:

Release Date

Price Drop Info:

Take-Two Interactive

IGN PRICEDROP

GAMESPOT PRICEDROP

Order:

GAMESTOP

EB GAMES

Archived