Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US expert slams WMD 'delusions'

luckydevil

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3778987.stm

US expert slams WMD 'delusions'

Weapons of mass destruction do not exist in Iraq and it is "delusional" to think they will be found, says former chief US weapons inspector David Kay.

Mr Kay told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that British and American leaders should simply apologise and admit that they were wrong.

He said Saddam Hussein had intended to reconstitute his weapons programme at some point and had acted illegally.

However, there were no actual WMD stockpiles, he said.

Mr Kay led the hunt for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq until he stepped down as head of the Iraq Survey Group in January.

He said at the time that he did not believe there had been large-scale production of chemical or biological weapons in Iraq since the end of the first Gulf War in 1991.

'No stockpiles'

In his latest comments, Mr Kay referred to the UK Prime Minister, Tony Blair, by name.

"Anyone out there holding - as I gather Prime Minister Blair has recently said - the prospect that, in fact, the Iraq Survey Group is going to unmask actual weapons of mass destruction, are really delusional," he said.

"There is nothing there. There is a programme there. There was an intention of Saddam Hussein at some point to reconstitute it.

"There were clearly illegal activities, clear violations of UN Security Council resolutions. We have accumulated that evidence and really have accumulated that evidence to a considerable degree four months ago.

"There are not actual stockpiles of newly produced weapons of mass destruction."

Mr Kay repeated his previous assertions that the US-led coalition had been mistaken in its assumption that Saddam Hussein had possessed the banned weapons.

"We simply got it wrong," he said. "Iraq was a dangerous country, Saddam was an evil man and we are better off without him and all of that. But we were wrong in our estimation."

And the mortar round filled with Serin Gas was just a figment of our imagination made up by Rush Limbaugh. And Mustard gas, I we found a large amount of a month ago, just a myth. I wonder what the arguement will be when our soldiers are dropping dead from a mortor explosion 200 feet away. That was old weapons of mass destruction! That does not count!!! Maybe the left should distance themselves from this arguement. It is no longer factualy sound.

Originally posted by ross3909

And the mortar round filled with Serin Gas was just a figment of our imagination made up by Rush Limbaugh. And Mustard gas, I we found a large amount of a month ago, just a myth. I wonder what the arguement will be when our soldiers are dropping dead from a mortor explosion 200 feet away. That was old weapons of mass destruction! That does not count!!! Maybe the left should distance themselves from this arguement. It is no longer factualy sound.

I hope those kids didn't die for one mortar, and a barrell of mustard gas. Are you really serious? It was a bad war, it stinks get over it.

Yep. That's all they had.

Ignore the truth all you want OY, but facts are facts. We found a WMD that would have killed thousands of people if it had been detonated in a confined area.

But of course your side has now changed the premise from "He never had them" to "He didnt have as much as we claimed he had"

You think I want this to happen? Are you serious? But what if the military started to listen to these morons and decided that there is no Chemical or Biological threat. This is the problem with politicizing a war...people's lives hang in the balance.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

Yep. That's all they had.

Ignore the truth all you want OY, but facts are facts. We found a WMD that would have killed thousands of people if it had been detonated in a confined area.

But of course your side has now changed the premise from "He never had them" to "He didnt have as much as we claimed he had"

Fact is when Brokaw interiewed him he had this to say. . .

Brokaw: “If you're a member of the American public, and you're looking at what's going on in Iraq with Americans being killed almost every day by this continuing insurgency, and no weapons of mass destruction have been found, and George Tenet, the director of the CIA, has quit in the middle of this war, and Ahkmed Chalabi, who was a principal source of information to the United States now has been removed, and he is under investigation, would you as an ordinary citizen out there in America say, ‘Man, I don't know what's going on here, but I don't like it at all?’”

Bush: “If I didn't see a positive end, I would be thinking that. Whereas if all I thought was happening is-- was that there was, you know, civil war -- perhaps civil war … And I would be saying, you know, what's going on here? On the other hand, the American people are beginning to see that there is a positive end.

I wonder where you get your information from, because obviously you have better sources then Bush :doh:

Archived