Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What ever happen to Charlie Brown?

Hubster

I was just watching Super Bowl XVII. (thanks Die Hard:notworthy ) Anyway, I was wondering what happened to Charlie Brown. He had such a great year that year and seemed to be heading for stardom. It seems to me he went to Atlanta, but I can't remember for sure. And also, if you haven't gotten this game yet on dvd you really need to:cheers: A must have for all 'Skins fans.

All those comedians out of work and one more has to join the unemployment line. :rolleyes:

Here ya go. What's up with the man and his history.

http://scsusports.com/story.asp?Region=&MarketId=&Market=&OrgId=241&story=68545

05-19-04

SCSU’s Brown to Join Prestigious Hall

ORANGEBURG, SC – Former South Carolina State football standout Charlie Brown will be among the eight persons to be inducted into the South Carolina Athletic Hall of Fame Thursday, May 20, at the Embassy Suites Hotel in Columbia. The 7 p.m. Awards Banquet will be preceded by a reception at 6 p.m.

Also to be inducted are former USC football players Tom Addison and Willie Scott, a former football assistant at S.C. State, former Clemson football players Jeff Bryant and Dreher Gaskin, former Presbyterian tennis standout Allen Morris, former Furman Coach Dick Sheridan, and two-time American League home run champion Gorman Thomas.

Brown, an all-conference wide receiver for the Bulldogs (77-80) who went to a successful National Football League career, will become the ninth enshrinee from South Caroline to the S.C. Athletic Hall of Fame.

The John’s Island native joins coaches Oliver C. Dawson, James F. Moorer and Willie Jeffries, and football standouts Deacon Jones, John Gilliam, Donnie Shell, Harry Carson and Barney Chavous in the hall.

Despite playing in a run-oriented offense at SCSU, Brown remains one of the most exciting and productive Bulldog wide receivers. He led the team in receptions in both 1979 (19 recpts., 438 yds., 6 TDs) and 1980 (28 recpts., 748 yds., 8 TDs).

In 1980, he set a then-school record and Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference mark for average per catch with 26.7 yards, earned All-MEAC honors and played in the SBN Black College All-Star Game.

Brown ended his career with 61 catches for 1,533 yards and 19 touchdowns. And, his 230 receiving yards against Morris Brown in 1980 remains a school record.

Brown was drafted by the Washington Redskins in the eighth round of the NFL draft in 1981 and was a key performer in two Redskins’ Super Bowls (1983 & 1984). He also played for Atlanta and Indianapolis before embarking on a high school coaching career.

Today, Brown is an entrepreneur in Florence, SC

Originally posted by offiss

There was an article out about him a couple of week's ago, when we signed him he was running 4.4's.

Well that would a lot of sense, he was an interesting althele considering his exceptionally long arms and soft hands. People built like Charlie Brown don't usually run that fast. I would consider that fairly fast for that time period in the history of the NFL.

Originally posted by Park City Skins

All those comedians out of work and one more has to join the unemployment line. :rolleyes:

Ya, at least he could have said that Charlie gave the game up after Lucy pulled the ball away, and he blew out three discs in his lower back.

Now he just hangs around the school yard eating Peppermint Patties...................

Oh ya, good read PCS

:cheers:

Originally posted by Pete

Ya, at least he could have said that Charlie gave the game up after Lucy pulled the ball away, and he blew out three discs in his lower back.

Now he just hangs around the school yard eating Peppermint Patty...................

:mmm:

Charlie Brown lived in my HS girlfriend's neighborhood...I used to see him running in the neighborhood every once in awhile. A friendly guy. He asked me about my girlfriend once. I'm a fan and all, but not THAT big a fan. ;)

And wasn't it Brown that Cosell made his 'look at that little monkey run' comment about?

Originally posted by Tarhog

Charlie Brown lived in my HS girlfriend's neighborhood...I used to see him running in the neighborhood every once in awhile. A friendly guy. He asked me about my girlfriend once. I'm a fan and all, but not THAT big a fan. ;)

And wasn't it Brown that Cosell made his 'look at that little monkey run' comment about?

Actually it was little know, (til then) WR Alvin Garrett.

Originally posted by Pete

Now he just hangs around the school yard eating Peppermint Patties...................

Archived