Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFW Whispers -- May 24, 2004

Some excerpts on 'Skins things . . .

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Whispers/2004/whispers1903.htm

• Sources close to the Redskins say CB Fred Smoot has shown tremendous dedication to the finer details of the game, such as film study, this offseason — something that rubbed off from former teammate Champ Bailey, a notoriously disciplined player.
    Rumors persist that the Seahawks could go after a veteran middle linebacker (Jeremiah Trotter?) before the summer runs its course, but we hear head coach Mike Holmgren seemed dead-set against going in that direction at presstime.
    Redskins WR Taylor Jacobs, battling for the team’s No. 3 spot, has added nearly 10 pounds of muscle this offseason, mostly in his upper body. Jacobs apparently hasn’t lost any of his speed, and the added weight should help him get off the line better, something that hurt him as a rookie.

Originally posted by blakman211

Until he shows something, he's no better than Desmond Howard.

Right now I'm still saying Coles/Gardner or Coles/McCants is the best starting lineup for us.

Coles/Gardner with a McCants/Jacobs thrown in at #3. Let's not forget that Desmond was a great return man.

Jacobs definitely has the potential to rise up and be the #3 receiver. McCants is a good threat for the end zone. I dont know why people want him to start over Gardner, Gardner has a lot more experience and hopefully wont drop balls anymore and has become a lot more disciplined last year when Coles arrived. Under Gibbs, I think he wants to prove why we drafted him in the first round over Santana Moss or any others. We definitely have a good young receiver corps.

McCants should still be the slot receiver, he at least has some experience over Jacobs. Jacobs should get more and more time as the season progresses. You can't argue wtih his potential, but he still has not reached it yet. Adding 10 pounds of muscle is pretty impressive. Opposing corners will have a very diffcult time trying to cover every single receiver.

I don’t think that we should discount Taylor Jacobs here at all. This kid not only has tremendous physical skills but he also learned from Spurrier. Say what you want about OBC, he could coach up the QB and WR positions. Add that to the fact that he is now learning from Gibbs and no one knows what his potential could be.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him being the #2 receiver in 2005 next to Coles with McCants at #3/slot.

One thing about Taylor is that most wideouts aren't very good their first year in the NFL. It's a complex position that takes a bit of time to get used to. Breaking off the line (and bump n/ run coverage from much stronger NFL defenders), running routes both are skills that most receivers don't have in college. Compound the difficulty of learning to play Wideout in the NFL (as opposed to college where you could just run past everyone), with the injury he suffered, I don't think you can judge him at all based on last year.

I have a feeling that all the love for the Redskin receivers will be proven to be well merited.

That is why I am still in favor of trading Gardner, and that is no diss on him. Gardner is a serviceable #1 and a strong 2. That being said it is why he is the guy to trade, because his talent is documented in service.

McCants gets the love because we see something special there. Jacobs gets the love because he really does have #1 talent. Thrash has been a #1 but makes a fantastic 2/3.

We are flush at WR, trading Gardner for value today just makes sense. Given a trade for rising DL talent or a high pick next year and I think it makes sense.

Originally posted by KirkNC

I have a feeling that all the love for the Redskin receivers will be proven to be well merited.

That is why I am still in favor of trading Gardner, and that is no diss on him. Gardner is a serviceable #1 and a strong 2. That being said it is why he is the guy to trade, because his talent is documented in service.

McCants gets the love because we see something special there. Jacobs gets the love because he really does have #1 talent. Thrash has been a #1 but makes a fantastic 2/3.

We are flush at WR, trading Gardner for value today just makes sense. Given a trade for rising DL talent or a high pick next year and I think it makes sense.

Agreed on all points, especially the "diss" part. It's not a diss at all. It's a luxury to have this many good WRs.

Having said that.......which teams are WR weak and DL strong?

about Cliff....whats gonna happen to him....he might not make the team but do you guys think some other team will pick him up??? with his speed, why didnt we use him to return kicks (before we got Thrash)? what number on the depth chart do you think he'd be on another team....say a team that badly needs a wide reciever?

Originally posted by skns4life

#1=coles

#2= gardner (he's been a #1 reciever in spurriers crap system)

#3= Mcants

#4=jacobs (he still hasnt proven anything....even his TD catch in Dallas looked like it hit the ground....not saying that he cant be good)

Where's the love for James Thrash? He was a very good performer as our 3 guy in the slot during his last season here and then stepped up and did a decent job as a starter when Westbrook and Conell went down. I really think Thrash's veteran demeanor will get him in Gibbs' good graces. (I also don't like to think we traded for him for no reason).

I think he'll win the 3 spot.

Originally posted by goldenster95

Jacobs apparently hasn’t lost any of his speed, and the added weight should help him get off the line better, something that hurt him as a rookie.

Getting off the line? You mean getting off the bench.

Sometimes detailed comments like this just smack of a writer being uninformed. A receiver adds ten pounds in the offseason translates into him having problems getting off the line. I bet this guy hasn't seen one stitch of film on Jacobs last year, even if there is only about ten seconds worth.

:point2sky I love that smilie!

Archived