Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So who went to the HFStival?

Destino

I did because I am just so totally extremely amazingly cool.

Anyone else out there so totally extremely amazingly cool that they went to the concert? Or are you all a bunch of sissy punks too scared of accidentally spotting a underage exposed boob to attend?

:)

I swear after yesterday I can't look at my own girlfriend without instinctively glancing at her wrist to see if I can spot a "it's ok I am 21 or more"' orange band. :twitch: :nono:

I went. Very cool show, better than last year for sure. That place was packed as hell though! I thought Offspring, Lit, and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs were excellent. The only disappointment was The Cure who drew out their songs a little too long, but they are so talented musically that it made up for it. Fun day, though I slept none after.

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

I didn't go and funny, I don't feel like a sissy. :sucks:

A classic example of someone that is obviously NOT so totally extremely amazingly cool. Bad giants fan bad!

:)

I went... I felt pretty ridiculous riding the metro with so many cargo shorts and graphic print tees around me, and I'm only 20!

It was alot of fun. It was actually less wild than I expected (this was my first one), but there were lots of moshers and exposed boobs nonetheless. By the way, I think there's nothing more ridiculous than seeing a bunch of kids beating the crap out of each other in a circle to emo music, then hugging and patting backs afterwards. Maybe I'm just old, I don't know.

Jay-Z played a great set and had the crowd really into it, but I was pissed he only did fifteen minutes. What a crock. Offspring played for almost an hour!

Originally posted by DraftNik

I went... I felt pretty ridiculous riding the metro with so many cargo shorts and graphic print tees around me, and I'm only 20!

It was alot of fun. It was actually less wild than I expected (this was my first one), but there were lots of moshers and exposed boobs nonetheless. By the way, I think there's nothing more ridiculous than seeing a bunch of kids beating the crap out of each other in a circle to emo music, then hugging and patting backs afterwards. Maybe I'm just old, I don't know.

Jay-Z played a great set and had the crowd really into it, but I was pissed he only did fifteen minutes. What a crock. Offspring played for almost an hour!

I agree with everything you wrote.

I'll add that I drove to avoid the metro situation and Offsprings set was awesome!

Jay-Z kicked everyone's ass even though he only did like 20 minutes... "F*** that side!"... The metro was ridiculous. I left during the last song by the Cure (Boys Don't Cry) and still didn't get ON the metro for more than an hour. Didn't get home until after 2 AM, and I live 30 mins from the West Falls Church station.

I didn't go, although I would have liked to have seen the Offspring. I'm into the harder stuff, and saving all my energy for OZZfest in July. Headliners are Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Slayer, Dimmu Borgir, and Black Label Society. Can't wait to see Priest with Rob Halford again. I'm also looking forward to some "B-Bands" like Hatebreed. I plan on coming back with a bad headache, ringing ears, and a hangover! :cheers::D

Originally posted by Ancalagon the Black

How were the Living End (for anyone that saw them)?

I had never heard of them, but when I saw them I was very impressed. The guitarist was really cool, busting out some cool solos and the bassist was awesome... I've never heard a solo on a stand up bass before, which was cool. When Lit came on after they said they hated playing after them because they were so good.

Originally posted by G-Train

I didn't go, although I would have liked to have seen the Offspring. I'm into the harder stuff, and saving all my energy for OZZfest in July. Headliners are Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Slayer, Dimmu Borgir, and Black Label Society. Can't wait to see Priest with Rob Halford again. I'm also looking forward to some "B-Bands" like Hatebreed. I plan on coming back with a bad headache, ringing ears, and a hangover! :cheers::D

No, I was not at the HFStival. Was it at RFK?

I am with G-Train.

I will be at Ozzfest in July.

Originally posted by TODD

Jay-Z kicked everyone's ass even though he only did like 20 minutes... "F*** that side!"... The metro was ridiculous. I left during the last song by the Cure (Boys Don't Cry) and still didn't get ON the metro for more than an hour. Didn't get home until after 2 AM, and I live 30 mins from the West Falls Church station.

You should have walked to the other metro stop :)

Jay Z and the Offspring were awesome, but dam it was hot :)

I am glad we were drinking in arlington the early part of the afternoon before we went.

I was there. My friends and I bring our children, who are now old enough to go on their own, but we don't want to let them because, as my wife says, it is our annual bachelor party. We drive and tailgate like a skins game, both before and after the festival. We have been going since 1999.

This year it seemed more crowded than normal. I think that they sold more tickets, 68000, when the stadium seats like 56K The Offspring were fantastic, but I would like to see them in concert on their own so I could hear material other than their greatest hits (so-to-speak) JayZ was fine for as long as he was out there, which was not enough.

I loved Papa Roach and Cypress Hill, and was in the mosh pit for New Found Glory (our annual excursion to the infield) and escaped without injury. The same can not be said for one of our daughters, who was kicked in the head during POD. Too bad because she was not up to going to the infield for the Offspring and kinda felt that she had missed out.

All in all a very fine time was had by all. I am already looking forward to next year.

Originally posted by joe

I was there. My friends and I bring our children, who are now old enough to go on their own, but we don't want to let them because, as my wife says, it is our annual bachelor party. We drive and tailgate like a skins game, both before and after the festival. We have been going since 1999.

Joe I didn't know you can come and tailgate, do the let you leave and come back? I was thinking of driving but it was so hot we took metro, didn't want to be outdoors all day long.

I still think the best ever HFS was at PSInet in Bmore.

JBooma, I don't believe that you can leave and come back in, in fact, I have heard of kids being accidentally shut outside for hours while waiting for their friends to come out. We got down there at about 10 and went in around 12, as OAR was playing. We used to insist that the kids come in with us so they know where we are sitting, but we have been going to RFK enough to know what general area we are going to be in, so they went in a bit before us this year.

Anyway, it is just nice to drive down, at PSInet, I remember kids walking from blocks and blocks away while we parked across the steet, a benefit of going with dads who have the money to pay for more expensive parking. And you are right, the lineup at that concert was the best ever. Although this one was right up there. Perhaps it was The Offspring, who played at both.

Offspring never fails to entertain. I've seen a lot of bands live and few are as consistently enjoyable as they are. Although this year JayZ was pretty awesome for a guy that was only on for 15 minutes, make me wonder if he's always good or if he just seemed that way by limiting his material just the good stuff.

Personally my only complaint was the utter lack of service at this event. Thy had fewer ID checking stations this year leading to insanely long lines, ticket lines were a mess, I ended up getting patted down 4 times before someone took my ticket and let me in. Last call was too early because the size of the crowd made buying a beer a 20 minute adventure. Anyway it was good but not as good as it should have been.

Oh and am I the only one that thought The Cure sucked? They are classic but that dude needs to sing his stuff without drawing it out so dang much.

The only alcohol ID check that had a posted sign had an insanely long line. we went to the general service window and just walked up and got our wristbands. As a genuine old guy, it always makes me laugh to get carded at events like this. People are always very apologetic. and my response is always the same. Gives me bragging rights that I look so young

Originally posted by TODD

I had never heard of them, but when I saw them I was very impressed. The guitarist was really cool, busting out some cool solos and the bassist was awesome... I've never heard a solo on a stand up bass before, which was cool. When Lit came on after they said they hated playing after them because they were so good.

That's awesome. They're a Melbourne-area band. My girlfriend's band has played with them a couple of times.

Originally posted by Destino

Oh and am I the only one that thought The Cure sucked? They are classic but that dude needs to sing his stuff without drawing it out so dang much.

I can never say the Cure sucked, however, I agree that they drew out everything a little too loud and didn't really fit into the festival mood of fast, to the point music.

For whoever asked about Modest Mouse, a lot of people actually walked out. It was tough, they were playing after some high energy bands like Lit and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

jbooma, what's the other metro station around there?

Archived