Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Oakland likely to dump Gannon (get Collins)

slinky

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1807311

ESPN.com news services

Kerry Collins will sign this week with the Raiders and it won't be as a backup, according to the New York Daily News.

Rich Gannon, the Raiders' longtime starter who is coming back from a shoulder injury, will be released, according to Saturday's edition of the Daily News. The paper did not disclose the source of its report.

The paper reported that Collins has decided to accept a three-year contract offered by the Raiders and that it should be finalized this week.

While the Raiders could attempt to restructure Gannon's contract for less than the $7 million he's due, the Daily News reports they're more likely to release him.

This would open up the starting position for Collins, who has a stronger arm than Gannon, is younger than Gannon, and is a better fit for the historical profile of an Al Davis quarterback than Gannon.

While Gannon picks away with short passes, Davis has long advocated the vertical passing game that Collins is much more suited for.

Collins, who was released by the Giants when he declined to serve as a backup to No. 1 draft pick Eli Manning, had been thought to be too pricy for the Raiders. It had at first appeared likely he would to go to the Packers, but Collins then skipped a meeting with Green Bay and seemed headed to the Ravens as a backup.

lavar, cut the crap. Padding your posts is going to do nothing.

Anyway, I think Gannon is going to be a superb pickup for somebody. I think the offense just went stale in Oakland, and there is still plenty of talent there. I hope he stays out of the NFC East, especially to NY.

reminds me when Norval got Brad Johnson out of nowhere.

I think Collins will do well over there....I actually hope Hambrick gets like 1500 yards for Oakland.....he won't.

But, Gannon will go to Tampa now.....I think BJ could be go.....maybe going to NY to be the mentor for Eli.

ok....I went a few steps too far.

Collins to Oakland

Gannon to Tampa

Johnson to ?????

Archived