Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Couple of questions on Portis and Davis

Octane67

Ok Here is a couple good questions I have been mulling over the past few weeks…..

1. Who is the better Running back in Gibbs system Portis or Davis ?

2. What happened between Spurier and Davis ? I may be mistaken but didn’t Davis play in a west coast offense while at Auburn ? (maybe not true west coast but I thought they were pass happy.) Was it just the fact he was injured and damaged goods ? Not that it really matters now as it is history.

Ok well first off nice web site. Thank you to the owner.

I lean toward Steven Davis as the info we are being fed by the media is that Portis is just a product of the Bronco’s O line. And I biased as I watched Davis in several games b4 he became a skin and was ecstatic when we drafted him.

Ohh look me first post here :cool:

1) Davis, definitly, not only could he be hte olny offensive force to help us win game, but with a pass threat, he would be unstoppable.

Davis has never really had a solid passing game to back up his running.

2) SS would give up on the run befor the start of the second quarter.

I think they both could do well but I honestly feel Portis can do better. He is very explosive and we haven't seen a runner with his ability to break a long run possibly ever. If our line can make the holes I think they will be able to in Gibbs offense it should be agreat year for Portis.

We are better off now with Portis, even only if b/c Davis is nearing the end of his career and Portis is young. I believe Portis could be one of the great backs of all time if he stays healthy, the moves he has are sick, and reminds me of Barry Sanders.

Spurrier got rid of Davis b/c he wanted all speed, and not a true RB, that move really paid off for us last year too!

I love Stephen Davis, how ever you have to take into consideration that he is now 30, and we have a younger, in my opinion more talanted back in Portis at 22, who is just getting better. ok lets compare here is Spephen Davis's stats: in his two best seasons(he did not really do anything until 1999 his break out year(his 4th season)

Year Team---------------G GS Att Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ FD

1999 Washington Redskins 14 14 290 1405 4.8 76 17 7 84

2000 Washington Redskins 15 15 332 1318 4.0 50 11 5 71

2001 Washington Redskins 16 16 356 1432 4.0 32 5 8 74

2002 Washington Redskins 12 12 207 820 4.0 33 7 3 47

2003 Carolina Panthers----14 14 318 1444 4.5 40 8 11 69

now here is Clinton Portis, also his first two seasons

Year Team-----------G GS Att Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ FD

2002 Denver Broncos 16 12 273 1508 5.5 59 15 11 79

2003 Denver Broncos 13 13 290 1591 5.5 65 14 13 76

Now everything about Clinton Portis Stats are better, more yards less games. I will let the stats do the talking here thenm factor that davis is 30, and CP is 22!!!

Portis has rushed for 1,500 yards twice and Davis never has. Also, Portis is capable of making moves in the open field and has a burst of speed that davis doesn't possess. Davis is all heart and earns every yard he gets. The man is a beast and one of my favorite players, but Portis seems to have heart and an immense wealth of natural ability. Gibbs will use Portis is ways that he has never had the luxury of using a back before because he has never had a back with Portis' talents.

Also, Portis sought a fight with Iffy ... if Portis can beat the crap out of one M. Westbrook, then he gets the nod ;)

Originally posted by Octane67

2. What happened between Spurier and Davis ? I may be mistaken but didn’t Davis play in a west coast offense while at Auburn ? (maybe not true west coast but I thought they were pass happy.) Was it just the fact he was injured and damaged goods ? Not that it really matters now as it is history.

Davis was slated to make a base salary of $7.5 million in 2003. He obviously didn't fit well in Spurrier's offense in 2002, so by the end of the season neither Davis nor the team were interested much in renegotiating his contract to lower his cap number.

If I remember correctly, Davis was still being represented by Steve Weinberg at the time who was a royal pain in the @ss in negotiating Davis's first contract extension.

Originally posted by Aluadan

He is very explosive and we haven't seen a runner with his ability to break a long run possibly ever.

Were you just referring the Redskins with that statement?....Just wondering because surely you wouldn't be saying that Portis is more dangerous than Barry Sanders...........Although....if he keeps it up....he may soon be on the same level...

I would rather have had Bailey and Davis than Springs and Portis when it comes down to it. But there isn't any point in pondering what might have been.

Personally I love SD because he played with straight up heart, fought for every inch. I would prefer heart over talent on most days.

However, Portis is a beast because he can fight for the small yardage like SD, but he can break the big ones like Barry Sanders.

No he isn't nearly as good at either of those things as SD or Barry, but he makes for a deadly combination of breaktackle and breakaway speed and elusiveness.

Originally posted by Octane67

Ok Here is a couple good questions I have been mulling over the past few weeks…..

Ok well first off nice web site. Thank you to the owner.

I lean toward Steven Davis as the info we are being fed by the media is that Portis is just a product of the Bronco’s O line. And I biased as I watched Davis in several games b4 he became a skin and was ecstatic when we drafted him.

Ohh look me first post here :cool:

Davis did play in a pass oriented offense at Auburn but I think it was only his last year there and his stats were way down in that offense in comparison to his earlier years.....combining this with the knee injury and thats the only way we got him in the first place. As for portis, his breakaway speed is far, far superior to Davis.

I think if Gibbs had been the coach in '99 (Davis's "break-out" year) I have little doubt that Davis would have ran for far more than 1,500 a season, and probably would have stayed healthier having not taken such a beating as being our only option.

However, the fact that Davis is now in his 30s and is in the end of his prime, while Portis is 22, faster than Davis ever was, and while not as powerful as Davis but far more elusive.

Originally posted by Bufford 3.0

Davis would of done well in our system but I don't know how long he'd last each season. With the amount of running....I'd say between 8-10 games max.

Portis is faster.....not as strong....but I think he could last longer.

Buf

You have to remember that Davis was the vast majority of the offense of the skins. Surely, you don't think that Gus Ferotte, and M. Westbroke were the reasons why we moved the ball down field. If anything I think Davis ran more under Turner, and deffenitly more under Shotiemhiemer than he would have under Gibbs. Gibbs runs more of a balanced offense, and actually slighty favors the passing game (something like 55/45 Pass/run).

That said I do agree that right now I think Portis is the better player, but Davis in his prime in a Gibbs system would have been scary.

I think Portis is faster and has breakout speed. Davis, hes more a powerback. Portis got injured for a game here or there, as did Davis a few games each year he was with us. I prefer Portis now though, hopefully he stays healthy and becomes the great guy we needed.

its hard to say. there would be different types of runs called for davis than there will be for portis. both backs have shown they can get in the endzone so i think it'll be a wash, but i think portis would get better stats.

Davis thought he was the man and Spurrier thought he didn't need him--simple as that.

Originally posted by Leonard Washington

its hard to say. there would be different types of runs called for davis than there will be for portis. both backs have shown they can get in the endzone so i think it'll be a wash, but i think portis would get better stats.

Davis thought he was the man and Spurrier thought he didn't need him--simple as that.

Didn't Davis refuse to rework his contract? I think that was a reason why we let him go, but the fact that Spurrier wasn't going to use him past the 1st quarter is also a big part of it.

Originally posted by jrfriedm

Buf

You have to remember that Davis was the vast majority of the offense of the skins. Surely, you don't think that Gus Ferotte, and M. Westbroke were the reasons why we moved the ball down field. If anything I think Davis ran more under Turner, and deffenitly more under Shotiemhiemer than he would have under Gibbs. Gibbs runs more of a balanced offense, and actually slighty favors the passing game (something like 55/45 Pass/run).

That said I do agree that right now I think Portis is the better player, but Davis in his prime in a Gibbs system would have been scary.

Westbrook and Connell both had 1000 yard seasons in 99, that was because Davis was such a threat...then again...he was a lot fresher back then.

My point is that in the past 3 or 4 seasons, he's missed time from being banged up. Last year he was pulled and replaced with Foster who produced in the playoffs.

Davis can and should be part of a nice 1-2 punch in Carolina....but I don't know he'll even be the workhorse he was for us.

I think for a Gibbs style offense, we need a bruiser running back like Riggins and who fits that none other than DAvis. I mean Portis is good and might have been huge in Spurrier's O, but in real O,, Davis would be the man, BUT I PRAY EVERYDAY THAT PORTIS HAS ANOTHER BREAKOUT YEAR AND WE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS, I am in TX so I am surrounded by Cowgurl Fans !!!!

Originally posted by bnacpa

Portis has rushed for 1,500 yards twice and Davis never has. Also, Portis is capable of making moves in the open field and has a burst of speed that davis doesn't possess. Davis is all heart and earns every yard he gets. The man is a beast and one of my favorite players, but Portis seems to have heart and an immense wealth of natural ability. Gibbs will use Portis is ways that he has never had the luxury of using a back before because he has never had a back with Portis' talents.

Also, Portis sought a fight with Iffy ... if Portis can beat the crap out of one M. Westbrook, then he gets the nod ;)

Damn...dont bring back memories of that fight....Stephen Davis looked awful after that....

Archived