Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BUSH !! Wake Up!!

Ravens777

Why Bush opposes stem cell research is beyond me. I think we could have so may cures for many different diseases. On this issue the Bush administration fall a day late and a dollar short. Give one reason as to why we should not be able to conduct this research? I hope the reasons are far better than the ones I think will be posted here.

Nancy Reagan Endorses Human Embryo Research

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (May 10) - As President Bush resists mounting pressure to loosen the restrictions he placed on human embryonic stem-cell research, Hollywood's supporting role in the debate this election year is growing.

Celebrities including Nancy Reagan, Dustin Hoffman, Michael J. Fox and Larry King raised $2 million for stem-cell research Saturday night at a gala for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. The money is part of nearly $20 million that the foundation is donating to advance stem-cell research.

A Parkinson's disease foundation run by Fox, who suffers from the degenerative nerve condition, has contributed another $10 million.

Getty Images

''Science has presented us with a hope called stem cell research," Reagan said at Saturday's benefit.

Broadband-Only Video

Nancy Reagan's Plea

'Designer Babies' Save Lives?

Clinic's Work Raises Questions

The star power is providing frustrated scientists and patients with additional muscle in a lobbying campaign against Bush's policy, which limits federal funding for research on human embryonic stem cells to colonies created before August 2001.

Stem cells are the body's building blocks and have the potential to become many different types of cells. Scientists believe the cells can be coaxed into specific cells to repair organs or treat diseases such as diabetes, Parkinson's and Alzheimer's.

Stem cells are typically taken from days-old human embryos. Because the human embryos are destroyed when the stem cells are extracted, the process is highly controversial.

Saturday's dinner featured a rare public appearance by former first lady Reagan, who renewed her call for an expansion of the research. Former President Ronald Reagan suffers from Alzheimer's disease and his wife believes stem cells might someday provide a cure.

"Ronnie's long journey has finally taken him to a distant place where I can no longer reach him,'' she said. "Because of this I'm determined to do whatever I can to save other families from this pain.''

A growing number of federal lawmakers - including several staunch anti-abortion Republicans and party stalwarts like Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, who is also a heart surgeon - also are lobbying Bush to reconsider his policy.

Last month, 206 members of Congress, including several conservative Republicans, sent Bush a letter calling on him to reconsider his stem-cell policy.

More on This Story

· AOL Search: Stem Cell Research

The Bush administration said it has no plans to change its policy.

Still, Hollywood money is pouring in. Moviemakers Jerry and Janet Zucker have contributed more than $50,000 to a campaign to get a bond measure on California's ballot that would provide $3 billion in stem-cell research funds to the state's biotechnology industry.

"People from Hollywood have always supported this,'' said Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation chief executive Peter Van Etten. The foundation has contributed $500,000 to the California campaign.

The Zuckers said they donated money because their 16-year-old daughter has diabetes.

"When Katie was diagnosed five years ago we promised we would do everything in our power to find a cure,'' said Jerry Zucker, who directed the 1990 film "Ghost.''

05/10/04 08:47 EDT

I have to agree on this one. I understand the moral reservations regarding stem cell research, but I don't think living human beings should be denied possible life saving or suffering-eliminating treatments for dead non-born humans.

Abortion is not going to be illegal anytime soon. Why not use the tissue to do some good?

More importantly, the embryos are not, IMO, worthy of the same consideration and protections as late term babies.

Just as we sacrifice many good men and women in war to achieve a greater aim, some embryos will be sacrificed for the progress of medicine.

Originally posted by Ghost of Joe Bibbs

I have to agree on this one. I understand the moral reservations regarding stem cell research, but I don't think living human beings should be denied possible life saving or suffering-eliminating treatments for dead non-born humans.

Abortion is not going to be illegal anytime soon. Why not use the tissue to do some good?

More importantly, the embryos are not, IMO, worthy of the same consideration and protections as late term babies.

Just as we sacrifice many good men and women in war to achieve a greater aim, some embryos will be sacrificed for the progress of medicine.

I would have never drawn a line from the war to embryos, but that is a very good point. Great post!

I think the fear is that if you come up with practical application for the tissue of fetuses you

#1 further blur the line about abortion..

#2 Potentially open the door for people to become pregnant so as to harvest the tissues. Which is everybodies worst nightmare...

I thought that they had like 24 samples of stem cells which were ok to use federal money's on for research. Bush just said they couldn't create more.??..

I agree with the original post. My Uncle lived for many years with Parkinsons and has since died unable to walk, talk or hold a job for many years. He went so far as to have electrodes implanted into his head to help ease the symptoms. Stem cells is one of the best hopes for Parkinsons victims.

We shouldn't be tieing the hands of scientists by morally judging the solutions they might come up with before the fact. Sciencetist should be the ones deciding what avenues of reasearch are promising not poloticians and amature's who think they have a monopoly on morality.

here is the thing. This stuff is going to be developed whether or not the current admin agrees with it. If they want to halt real research and just fall behind other countries....that's fine....just so we remember how all this happened when people are flying to Europe to get shady operations done on them because its illegal here.

Sorry, but nobody is going to intentionally get pregnant and have an abortion to create more stem cells. Nor is anyone's decision on whether or not to have an abortion going to be based on providing more stem cells or fetal tissue for medical research.

I'm opposed to murder, but does that mean someone who is mugged and killed on the subway, for example, should not be allowed to have his organs donated for fear that that might encourage others to commit murder... :doh:

Being a diabetic, I feel pretty strongly on this issue. Bush won't bend because he is afraid of alienating the Buchanan wing of the party.

Lets all remember the line between opposing this and opposing Govt sponsorship of the research.

Bush opposes both because that's his core belief. I respect that.

I personally think it's a horrible idea, but Im not opposed to Private Research firms taking it on.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

Lets all remember the line between opposing this and opposing Govt sponsorship of the research.

Bush opposes both because that's his core belief. I respect that.

I personally think it's a horrible idea, but Im not opposed to Private Research firms taking it on.

That's where the real research is getting done anyways. Private Industry and at Universities.

Originally posted by Thiebear

quote: Why Bush opposes stem cell research is beyond me

answer: then you do not know the mans core beliefs.

I do and I agree with Bush and will cast my vote in his name but this is one issue where he is missing the boat...... period!!! Give me a reason as to why we should not do stem cell research

Originally posted by riggo-toni

Sorry, but nobody is going to intentionally get pregnant and have an abortion to create more stem cells. Nor is anyone's decision on whether or not to have an abortion going to be based on providing more stem cells or fetal tissue for medical research.

I'm opposed to murder, but does that mean someone who is mugged and killed on the subway, for example, should not be allowed to have his organs donated for fear that that might encourage others to commit murder... :doh:

Being a diabetic, I feel pretty strongly on this issue. Bush won't bend because he is afraid of alienating the Buchanan wing of the party.

I live in the right wing but you are correct on this one. Bush needs to let this go on, what harm could it cause?

Originally posted by Thiebear

1 reason:

People will abuse it and harvest children.... period... you know it!

Uh....right :doh: :doh: :doh:

Actually, all new children are placed into new chambers where their bio-chemical energy is harvested to power the machines who dominate the earth. In the meantime, people who die are recycled into food sold every Tuesday under the brand name Soylent Green. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

last night on Hardball or some other show, Pat Buchanan saying that Reagan was the ultimate prolifer and would never agree with what Mrs. Reagan is saying now.

I don't know.

It's going to happen whether the admin likes it or not....instead of pretending that they've stopped or slowed something down....they should just say "Let the private sector research this and no Gov't money can be involved"

I think Kilmer said this earlier.

There is research with cells from the umblibical cord and adult human cells

And I agree and support President Bush's beliefs.

Yeah we can predict people wont get pregnant for financial gain like illegal immigrants and lazy people currently in the US.

People fly to amsterdam to indulge in perversions they cant do freely here so if they can afford to go elsewhere to do something morally corrupt more power to them and the consequences they have to deal with.

Interestingly enough, Nancy Reagan supports stem-cell research, according to this article:

http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/research/story/0,9865,1211393,00.html

Of course, she may only support it because it affects her personally, but that is a human response, and perhaps, because of her own personal experience, she sees the need for such reseach.

Also, many members of the House, including Republicans, support expanding stem-cell research:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4854789/

I really believe it will be difficult to stop such research, especially since, as mentioned, it will happen outside the U.S. But, typically, our government tends to have an irrational response to a rational issue. Of course, issues based upon emotion and belief rarely have a rational response. Or, at least, on a perceptive level.

~B.

Question:

Do you get the stem cells from live embryo's?

or do you get the stem cells from dead embryo's?

Do we have the women after making a decision that can affect the rest of her life also get a sheet of paper and 5 minutes of councelling as with the people that ask for the womans placenta?

Hey sign this so we can use your placenta.

Hey sign this so we can use your baby's stem cells... and again we dont need your parents concent....?

Look at the cloning? You honestly believe it will not be abused.

Has anything in the history of the planet NOT been abused?

let private research work this out, keep stem cells out of the government.

I think the fear is that if you come up with practical application for the tissue of fetuses you

#1 further blur the line about abortion..

#2 Potentially open the door for people to become pregnant so as to harvest the tissues. Which is everybodies worst nightmare

I don't agree with number two. I think Bush's conviction is that continuing to find useful applications for embryo stem cells opens the door for people to find yet even more uses and might ultimately trigger the tipping point for abortions to become acceptable. That's the last thing the ProLife Right wants to see happen.

Archived