Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs vs. parcells

skns4life

Originally posted by ghetto-smoove

this one is easy....

Joe Gibbs - 3 Super Bowl trophies

Bill Parcells - 2 Super Bowl trophies

Gibbs has more Super Bowl rings and a better winning percentage, even though Parcells has been coaching longer. That should end the debate right there.....

Actually the fact that he played longer hurt his winning % because Dynastys don't last forever...again a strong argument either way...

Well folks, this is my first post since I joined.

I have to add something I read about Bill Parcells after he learned of Joe Gibbs return to the Skins.

He said "The NFL has just gotten a lot harder to play in"

Parcells respects "OUR MAN" !!!

:dallasuck

Originally posted by Oleskinlvr

Well folks, this is my first post since I joined.

I have to add something I read about Bill Parcells after he learned of Joe Gibbs return to the Skins.

He said "The NFL just got a lot harder to play in"

Parcells respects "OUR MAN" !!!

Gibbs also stated that he does not want to face parcells...

Originally posted by RW31

Gibbs also stated that he does not want to face parcells...

So? He is the most humble man, always criticizing and belittling itself. He loves the challenge. If he didn't, why come back?

Originally posted by ramseyskins

So? He is the most humble man, always criticizing and belittling itself. He loves the challenge. If he didn't, why come back?

It was in response to the post above it...

Originally posted by Angus

Just curious. How many of the Super Bowl trophies Gibbs won came in strike-shortened seasons?

Answer? 2. But the telling thing is, Gibbs' Skins strike teams had no vets cross the picket line! NONE!!! He won those Bowls with Truck Drivers, Contractors, and production workers. All other NFL teams had "Scabs," or vet NFL players that crossed. That was outstanding "Coaching." Glad you brought it up!

I think it's pretty easy to build a case for either side. While the orginal thread starter obviously likes Gibbs more for obvious reasons, there are plenty of good reasons to have great respect for Parcells. The success he has had under many different owners is not something that can be overlooked. I personally would rather have Gibbs on my team, but that's where my loyalty is. Parcells is an outstanding coach in his own right, and it feels good to finally match up with the cowboys (at least coaching wise) after years of getting stomped.

Anyways, the rivalry is back! look out

Its a shame that Tuna decided to retire after the 1990 season....it would've been great to see Parcells coaching the defending champs matched up against what was arguably Gibbs' strongest team. I also don't think Parcells would've made the highly questionable move of starting Jeff Hostetler over Phil Simms that Ray Handley did.

Everyone has made good points......the two strike years have to be taken into account on Gibbs' side, and Parcells' Midas touch everywhere he's been, especially his first year in Dallas, has been remarkable. God, I can't wait for that Monday nighter. FedEx is gonna be rocking!!

GB81 said:

and they are repalcing them with possibly the league's most experienced staff led by a three time Super Bowl winning coach. Seems pretty futile to argue that they will not at least put a better product on

What is another kicker is Joe Gibbs is a "3" time NFL Coach of the Year - significant weight among your peers. Parcells always boasted a hefty defense in the top 5-10 versus Gibbs offenses top 5-10. Both coaches raise the level of play for the entire NFL.

example. Dallas defense is turned around, though not really that bad before he arrived, Parcells however made them more consistant and smarter.

Washington's offense was immediately infused with scoring threats and smarter offensive players, the support for offensive coaching staff from Gibbs to Bugel to Byner is heavy on getting it right. Neither coach is "indecisive" as Spurrier often was. This means "forward" and full steam ahead. They won't hold back, even if its the Cowboys vaunted defense.

This is exactly the style they played years ago and it won't be any different now.

Call it even.

Archived