Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(Merged) Gibbs to consult former players abour current players wearing their #'s

mcees4life

He said that there are to many unoffilically retired numbers and that he will talk to those guys and see how they feel about recirculating their numbers. Becoming a problem he said. All this from the press conference today. He basically said, we either officially retire them or reuse them, depending of course on how the former player feels.

I would like to see most of them come back out on the field. Like number 84, Gary Clark was my favorite and when ever there is someone with that number I try to see if he can live up to it.

I'm sure there are some numbers that we will not recirculate like, D.Green, Bobby Mitchell, Sammy Baugh, but the rest I would like to see come back.

Wouldn't it be cool to see a #44 and #81 back on the field doing great things?

Originally posted by sippin2020

I just hope they give the numbers to stars and not scrubs. It would pain me deeply to see #44 sitting on the bench.

Exactly, that is my fear.

9,28,42,43 and 44 should be retired and taken out of circulation. Da' Bears have almost 20 #'s retired, and they are able to find enough to go around.

Actually... i don't think Riggins has a problem with #44 coming back onto the field. When us fans see #44... we know what legend pulled that jersey over his head.

I'd like to see Cooley pick up #44. I think this kid is going to be a monster on the field. Good speed, great hands, great blocker, intelligent, and a tremendous work ethic.

Originally posted by jschlesi

They have to retire 28, 33, 42, and 81. the rest you can make an argument for either way

I think #33 has been offically retired, but thus far it is the only one that has been

I'm all for NO retired numbers. How sweet would it be to see Portis wearing 44....

It is a problem and I'm glad Gibbs is adressing it. If I was a former player and a new guy wanted to wear my number, I'd be cool with it. In no way does it diminish what the previous player has done.

Originally posted by codeorama

I'm all for NO retired numbers. How sweet would it be to see Portis wearing 44....

It is a problem and I'm glad Gibbs is adressing it. If I was a former player and a new guy wanted to wear my number, I'd be cool with it. In no way does it diminish what the previous player has done.

Yeah, I have to agree. Yesterday, I was pissed off about the possibility of Portis wearing 28.

Today, I think we just have to move on. Nothing anyone did wearing that # will tarnish what Darrel did here.

Granted, it would be wierd seeing someone else wearing 28, or 44, but it wouldn't be any wierder than seeing Davis in a Panther suit, or Jerry Rice in silver and black. You get used to it.

You can't keep retiring numbers. Eventually, you'll run out. We have to think long term.

With the second Gibbs era, we'll probably end up with 6 more players we love as much as Monk, Riggo, Joey T, Clark, and Darrel. :koolaid:

Then there'd be 19 unused #s. Where would it end?

Archived