Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft Rumor: Pats trade 20th and 21st (Miami trade) for 5th

EvoSkins

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2004/04/22/latest_patriots_draft_rumors/

Latest Patriots draft rumors

By Boston.com Staff | April 22, 2004

The acquisition of Corey Dillon might not be the only Patriots move before Saturday’s NFL Draft.

CBS SportsLine’s Pete Prisco reported today that the Pats were considering trading their second first-round pick (No. 31) and their second-round pick (No. 63) to Miami for the 20th overall selection.

The Pats would then package that pick with their other first-round selection (No. 21, from Baltimore) to send to the Redskins in return for the No. 5 overall pick in the draft.

With that pick, it’s expected New England would select either University of Miami safety Sean Taylor or Virginia Tech cornerback DeAngelo Hall. New England has been rumored to be very interested in Taylor for the last month.

The #20 and #21 wouldn't be enough for the #5. They'd have to throw in at least a 2nd rounder to make it work.

Of course, then you could deal the #21 and Rod Gardner to the Bills for the #13 and get Wilfork or one of the DEs.

From some of the charts i have seen the 5th pick is worth 1800 points.. the 20 and 21 is worth 900 and 875... which leaves us with abotu 225.... this equates to a third rounder which they have I believe...

If we do this, it is actually a very very good idea.. we can fill more holes and spend less money while doing it.. and i would advice to do it...

With these picks we will miss out in some of the bigger name players but we could pick up any number of players such as in DT: Randy Starks, Darnell Dockett, Marcus Tubbs, Donnel Washington, etc etc..

We could get Sean Jones for safety which is the second rated safety with the other pick.... or we could pick up any of the other great prospects out there.. remember this is a deep draft.... Furthermore, we would get another pick in the 3rd where we could get another player that can be a real contributor.. I would do this trade if it was up to me.. I mean put all your marbles on one player who can bang or bust or have 3 players who can bang or bust (minus the hype) ? I would go with the latter especially with our cap situation in a couple of years and the wholes we still have this year.

Originally posted by sammino

From some of the charts i have seen the 5th pick is worth 1800 points.. the 20 and 21 is worth 900 and 875... which leaves us with abotu 225.... this equates to a third rounder which they have I believe...

If we do this, it is actually a very very good idea.. we can fill more holes and spend less money while doing it.. and i would advice to do it...

With these picks we will miss out in some of the bigger name players but we could pick up any number of players such as in DT: Randy Starks, Darnell Dockett, Marcus Tubbs, Donnel Washington, etc etc..

We could get Sean Jones for safety which is the second rated safety with the other pick.... or we could pick up any of the other great prospects out there.. remember this is a deep draft.... Furthermore, we would get another pick in the 3rd where we could get another player that can be a real contributor.. I would do this trade if it was up to me.. I mean put all your marbles on one player who can bang or bust or have 3 players who can bang or bust (minus the hype) ? I would go with the latter especially with our cap situation in a couple of years and the wholes we still have this year.

Actually the math would work out to 1800 vs. 1775 but I would still want a pot sweetener.

Originally posted by Buddha

The #20 and #21 wouldn't be enough for the #5. They'd have to throw in at least a 2nd rounder to make it work.

Of course, then you could deal the #21 and Rod Gardner to the Bills for the #13 and get Wilfork or one of the DEs.

20th and 21st are a combined 1650 and the #5 is 1700 and the 122nd pick is worth 50.

I know you know this, im just making it clear for others :)

a lot of good defensive tackles and tightends will be available in that range still like i said above dockett, tubbs, starks, washington,..... postiong we need.. some good de as in odom and hill... safeties mainly sean jones... we would be filling more holes i think.. its smarter and cheaper..

No.20 Pick

Miami Dolphins

Trade with Patriots Apr. 21 - The league's most creative draft tandem, Patriots coach Bill Belichick and vice president of personnel Scott Pioli, not only have a lot of choices but also a lot of irons in the fire, it seems. One rumor has the Pats trading the last pick in the first round (No. 32 overall) and second (No. 63 overall) to Miami for the Dolphins' first-rounder, No. 20.

That would give New England the 20th and 21st choices. They would try to parlay those two first-rounders to move significantly up the board, for cornerback DeAngelo Hall or safety Sean Taylor. There is also talk that Washington owner Dan Snyder recently spoke to the Pats, inquiring about might it might take to deal for disgruntled cornerback Ty Law.

-- Len Pasquarelli

this is like the third thread on the subject :laugh:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58362

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58320

Archived