Extremeskins

WP: Maske: Chances of Redskins Trading Up Are Slim

Posse81

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A31313-2004Apr21.html

Chances of Redskins Trading Up Are Slim

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, April 21, 2004; 2:17 PM

There is a chance that the Washington Redskins will trade up to obtain the first or second overall choice in the draft Saturday to select Iowa left tackle Robert Gallery, but it's a slim one.

That's according to a veteran NFL agent who represents one of the top players in the draft and has been in discussions in recent days with teams with picks at the top of the first round. The agent, speaking on the condition of anonymity so as not to jeopardize his client's draft prospects or future dealings with clubs, said Tuesday night he puts the chances of the Redskins trading up at about 10 percent.

The agent, like most people around the league, expects the San Diego Chargers to keep the top overall choice and select Mississippi quarterback Eli Manning. There is a complicating factor, however, as the Chargers launch contract negotiations today with representatives for Manning, Gallery and perhaps other players: The members of the Chargers brass still have hard feelings toward Tom Condon, who represents Manning, from their difficult negotiations a few years ago regarding quarterback Drew Brees.

According to the agent, Condon has been attempting to get Manning to New York to maximize the quarterback's endorsement opportunities by trying to prod the Giants to trade for the top pick. The Giants covet Manning, but General Manager Ernie Accorsi has said there is a limit to what he would surrender to trade up to get him. An executive for another team has said that it probably would cost the Giants the fourth overall choice in the draft and their second-, fourth- and sixth-round selections to acquire the top pick from the Chargers.

Accorsi said on WFAN radio Tuesday in New York that he expected the Chargers to retain the first choice.

"If you asked me to put my $2 down, I'd say they're going to keep it and take the pick,'' Accorsi said. "In the final analysis, I think they won't [trade the pick], but I think they want to see what they can get.''

Condon could make things difficult for the Chargers. More often than not, the draft's top choice has agreed to a contract with his new team by the time he's selected. That eases any concerns by his new club about testy July negotiations and a training-camp holdout threatening to ruin the player's rookie season. There is little reason for Condon and Manning to quickly agree to a deal with the Chargers, though, since they have no special incentive for Manning to end up in San Diego.

Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith apparently would like to know by Friday night what he's going to do. A lack of cooperation by Condon and Manning could leave Smith in the difficult position of deciding whether to draft Manning with no agreement in place. The agent said he would expect the Chargers to draft Manning even under those circumstances, unless Manning's father Archie gets involved and makes a passionate plea for San Diego to go in another direction. If the Chargers do trade down, they probably would be looking to end up in position to select North Carolina State quarterback Philip Rivers. That's the scenario that could have Miami of Ohio quarterback Ben Roethlisberger dropping in the first-round order, probably either to Cleveland's seventh pick or Pittsburgh's 11th choice.

The Oakland Raiders, who have the draft's second overall pick, have people the most curious. The Browns desperately want to trade up to second to get Gallery. The Redskins and Giants also would be candidates to trade into the second spot to select Gallery, assuming that San Diego keeps the top choice and takes Manning.

The agent said the Redskins want to keep left tackle Chris Samuels even if they obtain Gallery, and likely would move Samuels to guard in that scenario. "That would be them jumbo-ing up their line to be like the old 'Hogs,' '' the agent said.

If they move up without trading Samuels, the Redskins likely would have to part with wide receiver Rod Gardner or quarterback Patrick Ramsey in their trade package. If they really are planning to move Samuels to guard, young offensive lineman Derrick Dockery also could have trade value. But the Redskins like Dockery. They don't have many draft picks, so the trade-up scenario is a long shot.

The Raiders might trade down into a spot to select Oregon State tailback Steven Jackson, the agent said, now that they missed out on Corey Dillon, who was dealt from the Cincinnati Bengals to the New England Patriots on Monday. If the Raiders stay put, the agent said, the pick could be Gallery, Texas wide receiver Roy Williams or perhaps even Roethlisberger.

The Arizona Cardinals will take Pittsburgh wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald with the third pick, the agent said, if Manning and Gallery have come off the board. Fitzgerald is a former Minnesota Vikings ball boy for new Cardinals coach Dennis Green, and the agent said: "That's the one team where they're actually telling the truth.''

If the Giants stay put and Manning, Gallery and Fitzgerald are gone, they probably would go with Roethlisberger. A trade-down also is a possibility. Accorsi might have been bluffing the Redskins, but he said on WFAN that teams are interested in trading up to the fourth choice to take Miami safety Sean Taylor. "Some people want him very badly and may come to us to get him,'' Accorsi said.

Accorsi didn't name any teams, but that could be the Patriots, who could put Taylor at safety alongside Rodney Harrison and move Eugene Wilson from safety to cornerback to provide Coach Bill Belichick with leverage in his bitter contract dispute with Pro Bowl cornerback Ty Law.

Williams also could be a consideration for the Giants.

If the Redskins don't trade up from the fifth pick and Manning, Gallery, Fitzgerald and Roethlisberger or Williams are off the board, they probably would be left choosing between a trade-down or picking Taylor or his former Hurricanes teammate, Kellen Winslow Jr. The team's bigger needs appear to be on defense at this point. But Winslow is a special talent. And the agent, while saying he wasn't certain which player the Redskins would take if faced with a choice between Taylor and Winslow, said the negative publicity focused recently on Winslow's tough-negotiating representatives, brothers Carl and Kevin Poston, would negate the need to pass up Winslow because of any concerns that he might be difficult to sign.

"It's a no-risk pick,'' the agent said. "Those guys have got to make that a smooth negotiation. They're under the gun.''

© 2004 washingtonpost.com

The agent said the Redskins want to keep left tackle Chris Samuels even if they obtain Gallery, and likely would move Samuels to guard in that scenario. "That would be them jumbo-ing up their line to be like the old 'Hogs,' '' the agent said.

Could you imaging that line with Buges at the reins? :drool:

Wow

Can Samuels make that transition?

Whether or not we get Gallery, I think our OL, H-backs and TE's are going to beat the snot out of opposing defenses with the run, especially blitz- happy teams.

OL: Samuels, Dockery, Raymer, Thomas, Janson = No-one less than 300 pounds.

TE: Rasby, Kozlowski, Royal = No-one less than 252 pounds.

H-back: Sellers = 270 pounds.

Boom, Boom, Boom

the negative publicity focused recently on Winslow's tough-negotiating representatives, brothers Carl and Kevin Poston, would negate the need to pass up Winslow because of any concerns that he might be difficult to sign.

Veeery interestink.

Picture Portis running behind a line with Gallery. Our defense wouldn't be on the field all that much which would make them better. Put me in Gallery's camp and then Taylor's.

When I think of KWIII I think of the year we picked Desmond Howard and tried to add him to an already great offense. We just dont need a pass catching TE as much as some other things.

All this talk about Taylor and Winslow the past couple of months and thats is exactly whats worrying me about the possibility of us not taking either one.

But those who are recently joining the "Taylor Camp" i must say welcome aboard, i've been in it since last August before the college football season.

Archived