Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins Sign Tight End Kozlowski, Cut Chamberlain

Sanders 83

Redskins Sign Tight End Kozlowski, Cut Chamberlain

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A9050-2004Apr13.html

Associated Press

Tuesday, April 13, 2004; 6:29 PM

The Washington Redskins signed tight end Brian Kozlowski and released tight end Byron Chamberlain on Tuesday.

Kozlowski has played 10 seasons -- the last seven with Atlanta -- and could serve as the versatile H-back coach Joe Gibbs has been seeking. Kozlowski started a career-high nine games and caught 10 passes for 87 yards last year, although he has been a reserve blocking tight end and special teams player for most of his career.

Kozlowski began his NFL career as an undrafted free agent with the New York Giants. He has 78 career catches for 917 yards and eight touchdowns.

Chamberlain, once a Pro Bowl player with Minnesota, failed to make an impact after joining the Redskins one month into last season. He was inactive for seven of 11 games and caught just four passes for 29 yards. Chamberlain was cut by the Vikings last year after serving a four-game suspension for testing positive for ephedra, a diet drug now banned by the federal government.

The Redskins also signed receiver Gari Scott, a tryout player at last month's minicamp. Scott played two seasons with Philadelphia in 2000-01 but has not made a regular-season roster the last two years.

AP-ES-04-13-04 1829EDT

© 2004 The Associated Press

Chamberlain's use of ephedra, the fact that he was overweight and out of shape last season, and the fact that he was always more of a receiving TE than a blocker all led to this move IMHO. Kozlowski is probably a perfect fit.

I can't believe they cut Chamberlain! He was going to lose weight. He was going to get in shape. He was going to try harder. Why should a proven veteran like him be expected to play Special Teams or block or catch the ball? The coaches already know he can do those things. And he was going to do them, too. Not in camp because that's for Rookies. Not in exhibition games because they are for unproven players who are trying to win jobs. But I promise you that he would have been ready when the real season started. Maybe not early in the season, but when the playoffs were on the line he would have been ready to produce. But now we'll never know how far into the playoffs he would have carried the team if he hadn't been cut.

:high:

Originally posted by BD

Shouldn't be surprising, I guess - though prior to this, Nunyo had seemed convinced Chamberlain was going to be the H-Back.

BD

Just goes to show what Nunyo knows about the Skins can't even fill Chris Samuels' jock strap.

Nice pick up for the Skins, and no harm no foul on Chamberlain's part - if he wants to play football, some other team will pick him up...Though now we really only have one pass catching TE and that would actually start smelling like KW2, but, all things considered, I still seriously doubt we'll be hearing his name when the Skins' pick is up, wherever that may be...

- FUF

According to Frank Herzog, Dan Reeves loved this guy and hated to see him leave the Falcons. He said Kozlowski got more out of his talent than any player he ever coached. Sounds like a Gibbs Redskin to me.

Sonny Joe...excellent :rotflmao:

Originally posted by BD

Shouldn't be surprising, I guess - though prior to this, Nunyo had seemed convinced Chamberlain was going to be the H-Back.

BD

BD,

Nunyo knows so little about the NFL that he seemed convinced the $10,000 (that's right, just ten grand) he was paid in March was a sign he was good for a roster spot. Hell, that's not even good for a 10-day contract in the NBA :)>

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

A 70 rating is really not that bad. Kozlowski may blossom under Gibbs.

At the very least, we now have two very solid blocking TEs on the roster. If we were to pick up KW2, that would be a trio of TEs to be reckoned with.

Just to let you know even with the lastest update of Madden 2004 he still is a 70 overall but if you think about it most players in Madden under someone like Alge Crumpler they don't make the best and Kozlowski is a big physical TE and like someone else said 70 overall isn't to bad for a TE in Madden.

Gibbs is doing his thang without much talk - action speaks louder than words...

Yea, I'd say this doesn't look good for hopes of drafting K2.

So, who's the WR they picked up too? Looked up his name on nfl.com and he's not listed.

Originally posted by Magnum5282

I still think we are going to stick with Sean Taylor in the draft Robert Royal i think will be our recieving TE wouldn't you????

Royal has the Betts problem, can't get on the field :doh:

I see this as the door opening for K2. Gibbs now has his blocking TE's but doesn't have the catching one :cheers:

Originally posted by Sonny Joe Hog

I can't believe they cut Chamberlain! He was going to lose weight. He was going to get in shape. He was going to try harder. Why should a proven veteran like him be expected to play Special Teams or block or catch the ball? The coaches already know he can do those things. And he was going to do them, too. Not in camp because that's for Rookies. Not in exhibition games because they are for unproven players who are trying to win jobs. But I promise you that he would have been ready when the real season started. Maybe not early in the season, but when the playoffs were on the line he would have been ready to produce. But now we'll never know how far into the playoffs he would have carried the team if he hadn't been cut.

:high:

I was going to be President of the United States when I was a kid! :D

Archived