WP: Redskins Sign Tight End Kozlowski, Cut Chamberlain

Sanders 83

**UPDATED**

Veteran Tight End Signs With Redskins

By Nunyo Demasio

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, April 14, 2004; Page D05

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...-2004Apr13.html

The Washington Redskins yesterday signed 6-foot-3, 250-pound tight end Brian Kozlowski, an 11-year veteran, and released tight end Byron Chamberlain.

Kozlowski is seen as a versatile player, with the ability to play tight end, H-back and fullback and contribute on special teams. Undrafted in 1993 from the University of Connecticut, Kozlowski played his first three years with the New York Giants before playing the past seven seasons with the Atlanta Falcons.

Kozlowski was a favorite of former Falcons coach Dan Reeves, who described the tight end as maximizing his talent perhaps more than any player that Reeves had coached. Reeves brought Kozlowski from the Giants when the coach was hired by Atlanta in 1997.

New Redskins tight ends coach Rennie Simmons had the same position on the Falcons' staff in 2000 and coached Atlanta's offensive line the previous three seasons.

Kozlowski's role diminished in 2001 and 2002 as the Falcons placed Alge Crumpler and Reggie Kelly ahead of him on the depth chart. After Kelly joined the Cincinnati Bengals, Kozlowski had a solid season as the No. 2 tight end last year: He started a career-high nine games, catching 10 passes for 87 yards.

A strong lead blocker, Kozlowski appears likely to be a reserve blocking tight end, yet is capable of starting at H-back, a critical position in Coach Joe Gibbs's offense. Mike Sellers has been the leading candidate to start at H-back since the Redskins traded Bryan Johnson to the New Orleans Saints for a sixth-round draft pick in next week's draft.

Chamberlain's brief stint with the Redskins ends after he signed a two-year deal in October worth about $2 million. Chamberlain landed in former coach Steve Spurrier's doghouse last season partly because he was out of shape. He was inactive for seven of 11 games, catching only four passes for 29 yards.

Chamberlain received a $10,000 roster bonus on March 1, a sign that the Redskins strongly considered him to be a part of the club this season. But Chamberlain appeared overweight during Gibbs's first minicamp last month.

The exchange of Chamberlain for Kozlowski was almost a financial wash, leaving the Redskins with $180,000 in extra salary-cap space.

The Redskins also announced the signing of wide receiver Gari Scott.

This was a great addition ... blue collar worker, great work ethic and motor, solid special teams player, and I am sure he came pretty cheap for a 10 year vet.

Considering that we have signed Rasby, Sellars, and now Kozlowski, I am pretty sure that we are not gonna touch K2 in the draft. With all the talent at WR, Gibbs won't put his TE in traffic that much because of his max protect philosophy. Instead, we will draft defense (as we should) and make our team more well rounded instead of very lopsided (great offense, terrible defense).

I love the moves we are making.

We also picked up a 6'2 WR from Mini-camp. Does anyone know anything about this guys speed? Is he another Scott Cloman?

Originally posted by bnacpa

We also picked up a 6'2 WR from Mini-camp. Does anyone know anything about this guys speed? Is he another Scott Cloman?

Gari Scott has a slight edge in making the team over Scott Cloman. He is not a burner, but has adequate 4.55 speed. He has made an NFL final roster before, which is more than you can say for Scott Cloman.

Gari Scott has also returned punts and kickoffs before in college, which gives him another advantage over Cloman. More then likely though, neither player will make the final roster unless they excell in punt or kickoff coverage. :)

Originally posted by panthro

Gibbs is doing his thang without much talk - action speaks louder than words...

Yea, I'd say this doesn't look good for hopes of drafting K2.

So, who's the WR they picked up too? Looked up his name on nfl.com and he's not listed.

Before everyone on this thread get's too excited, Kozlowski is going into his 12th season in the NFL. Also, last year he started 9 games, which was the most he's EVER started. Also, for those who think that this is a sign that Gibbs will not take Winslow, I say why?

Kozlowski had 87 total yards last season, 59 yards the season before, he's had 917 yards total in 11 seasons, does this sound like a major pass catching/h-back to all of you?

Originally posted by Magnum5282

No but Gibbs didn't pick him up for that purpose he picked him up for blocking purposes for Brunell/Ramsey and Portis.

Right, but some people think that this is a sign that Gibbs won't want to draft Winslow, which IMO, is ridiculous.

We don't need Winslow. Simple as that. Gibbs wouldn't be picking up all these TE if he wanted another one. Gibbs wants blockers for his RB's and QB's he has the recievers to do the catching Coles, Gardner, Jacobs, and McCants. IMO Gibbs would only pick up Winslow for recieving abilities and IMO Gibbs wants blockers.

It's not necessarily a question of need, it could simply be a question of taking the best player available with the fifth overall pick, and who Gibbs & Co. think best fits the bill. If the strategy is to take the best player, then you simply have to consider Winslow. I mean, did the Giants NEED Shockey?

You can't always site need as the over riding factor when choosing a player in the draft, especially when a game changing player is available.

Yes Winslow is good but not the best. I would never compare Winslow to Shockey IMO Shockey is much more physical than Winslow. Winslow reminds me more of Heap. Not saying Heap isn't good b/c he is. More of a recieving TE though. Shockey can block and recieve.

Yes Winslow is good but not the best. I would never compare Winslow to Shockey IMO Shockey is much more physical than Winslow. Winslow reminds me more of Heap. Not saying Heap isn't good b/c he is. More of a recieving TE though. Shockey can block and recieve.

Shockey has even said Winslow is better then him. :doh:

I would never compare Winslow to Shockey IMO Shockey is much more physical than Winslow. Winslow reminds me more of Heap. Not saying Heap isn't good b/c he is. More of a recieving TE though. Shockey can block and recieve.

....And create huge team distractions and give disparaging front page quotes and lead a team to last place in their division.:cool:

Archived