Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Past key player losses

Mr. S

Hearing all these trade rumors of Samuels and Gardner, Im just wondering, which players who were released or not re-signed by the skins were worth keeping and regrettable losses. Here's my list:

Stephen Davis

Brad Johnson

Larry Centers

Shaun Barber(tearing it up in KC)

James Thrash(i know we have him back)

Kenard Lang(I liked his versatility)

ND Kalu

Brian Mitchell(he was a skin at heart)

Those are the key players whose releases I did not agree with at the time. What say you all?

I would rather have Portis than Davis.

Brad Johnson wasn't that good.

Shaun Barber was good here don't know why we let him go.

Like X-Factor said ND Kalu and Lang would both be upgrades.

Brian Mitchell, statistically I can live without him, even if he is a true skin.

Originally posted by Equality

I would rather have Portis than Davis.

Brad Johnson wasn't that good.

Shaun Barber was good here don't know why we let him go.

Like X-Factor said ND Kalu and Lang would both be upgrades.

Brian Mitchell, statistically I can live without him, even if he is a true skin.

I would rather have Portis too! but Stephen Davis was a huge loss for us.:dallasuck

Originally posted by CLiNT0NP0RTiS26

I would rather have Portis too! but Stephen Davis was a huge loss for us.:dallasuck

you got to look at it this way: Who would you rather have Portis or Davis? Sure the loss of the Davis hurt, but if he hadn't left we wouldn't have acquired Portis. So in hindsight it was not that bad of a decision to let him go.

Originally posted by atloldskin

That list is not so bad. Mitchell was just about done. Davis cap number was too high as was Lang. Kulu was a big mistake for sure.

Kalu was a solid situational pass rusher, but I don't think letting him go was a "huge" mistake. If you look at his numbers in Philadelphia, his highest number of sacks in a season is 8. Sure eight sacks by a DE would be welcomed in DC, but if he were such a "huge" acquisition for the Eagles why did they go out and get Kearse? Kalu would be nice to have on the roster, but I don't lose sleep over seeing him go.

Well Davis..cuz of dumbass Spurrier....god i'm glad he's gone...and yeh his salary was a part of it i believe...but we could have kept champ..if that's saying anything and our 2nd rounder....and kept davis...but oh well..yes portis is the better option now...thank god..or we'd be screwed....kalu...killer pass rusher....shouldn't have lost Thrash when we did..he was doing great for us at the time..hope he can do the same...mitchell i wish could have retired as a skin....

Perhaps we should look at it from the point of "what did it cost us" in terms of draft choices to replace those players along with the cost on the field.

I just wonder, what it will cost us in terms of players we brought here for the SS and are expendable now. Just how long it will take us to weed those guys out and what will be the cost to fill those holes.

Shawn Barber was not released - he was a UFA demanding something like $3m a year after spending the entire season on IR. We offered him more $$$ than the Eagles paid for him. Same with Lang, who simply was/is not worth what Cleveland dished out for him.

We should have locked up Thrash the year before, but as you can see by the fact that the Ea-girls let him go he was again not worth the kind of moulah Philly dished out for him.

Thank Marty for cutting Centers :cuss: A colosally stupid move, but thankfully one which cost that a-hole his job. Thank Cerrato for believing (falsely) that Mitchell was washed up. :doh:

Thank Dannyboy for not extending BJ after '99, choosing instead to throw money around at FAs including Captain Cancer (J. George) :doh1:

And lastly SS's fun and gun took Davis out of here. :(

60.9% completions

4,005 yards passing

24 TD

13 INT

2 Rush TDs

90 QB Rating

- Brad Johnson in 1999 - I'll take those stats any year. He's a conservative QB yes, but still solid.

Stephen Davis obviously - one hell of a player and it hurt to lose him.

The rest of the guys were normal losses, sure some were good but no real stars there. Brian Mitchell being the one exception. He was a guy who could change games with his returns, and was about as clutch as a player can be. He was starting to get a bit on the old side though, so probably a wise move.

I always thought the FO really screwed up when they let Derek Smith sign with SF. He was a young, solid MLB. Didn't sign a HUGE contract and has played very well for SF. Instead, we threw a ton of money at Trotter, which we know was a big mistake.

Brad Johnson was a bigger loss than some people realize I think. I mean he was an efficent, smart QB...and after he left us he took a team to the Superbowl. Brad really did have talent...and look what we tried to replace him with...Banks, Wurfell, George, Matthews....god it was awlful.....

Plus, if Brad's still on the roster..no need to chuck huge amounts of cash and a draft pick at Brunell. And Brad would've been here to teach Ramsey from the start....

ahh...what might have been....

Archived