Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coles versus #1 Pick

Arsenic

With the first round draft pick the Redskins gave up to the Jets for Coles last year, how would you rate the trade from todays standpoint?

Anyone even remember who the jets drafted?

I think we got an outstanding receiver out of the deal.

....and they said we over payed for him.

I cannot think of another receiver I would rather have on the team. There are receivers who are better than him, but they carry alot of baggage.

Anyone ever notice how wide open the Redskins receivers were in the 91 season? Cannot wait to see how Gibbs uses him in his system.

"Touchdown, Washington Redskins" Frank Herzog

The Jets packaged that pick with their #1 and moved up to the #4 spot and got DeWayne Robertson, a DT.

I think he played to decidedly mixed reviews. Not sure what player actually got picked at #13. Doesn't mean the Redskins would have taken that player, though.

I'm ecstatic about Coles. Great use of the pick. A great WR and a true pro.

Coles was one of the few bright spots on the team last year. He plays with an intesity that most of our guys don't come close to. When he ran down that guy from behind and caused a fumble to prevent a touchdown after and interception and return, he won me over instantly. Those are the kind of plays that show a guys heart. Most of the team gave up on the play. I thought it was a sure touchdown. then here comes Coles out of nowhere! Great Aquisition, and worth every penny if you ask me.

ty warren went #13 to the patriots. i looked at the picks after 13 and none of them had a real impact last year. Coles was much better than any player we couldve drafted, plus he had already proven himself so there was no risk.

You can forget that whiny BS about us overpaying for him. If you ask me, he's worth every penny we'e spent on him. And then some! Shoot, if the Coles had offered him anymore to begin with, we would've had to give up a third rounder as well! This wasn't just one Snyder's greatest moves since owning the Redskins, he managed a steal!

Originally posted by feeshta

Coles was one of the few bright spots on the team last year. He plays with an intesity that most of our guys don't come close to. When he ran down that guy from behind and caused a fumble to prevent a touchdown after and interception and return, he won me over instantly. Those are the kind of plays that show a guys heart. Most of the team gave up on the play. I thought it was a sure touchdown. then here comes Coles out of nowhere! Great Aquisition, and worth every penny if you ask me.

That play also endeared me to Coles....while most people gave up...he played his heart out.

Amazing that we would have made Jacobs a first-round pick. 2nd round, he was a steal if he can actually survive this season and others. Before the draft, I wanted Doss, but I think Iffy played better anyway. I hope Jacobs can perform well this year and play 16 games.

I was heavily in favor of defensive line help and said I'd rather not have made the move for Coles. Obviously though the move for Coles was just what this team needed in terms of acquiring a hard working, legitimate No. 1 receiver and we certainly got more production out of our No. 1 pick than most teams could dream of :).

Originally posted by thinker

The fabulous irony is that the jests paid their pick Dewayne a higher SB than we overpaid for Coles.

(1) The Jets did not pay Robertson more than Coles' $13M signing bonus -- Robertson got a $3M signing bonus with a $10M option bonus. (2) He also wasn't picked 13th, he was picked 4th which makes the situation significantly less fabulously ironic. A better analysis notes that Robertson's compensation was paid in lieu of the $6M+ bonus that would've gone to the #13 pick (Ty Warren) PLUS the $4M bonus that woud've gone to the #22 pick (Rex Grossman).

Coles has worked out for the Skins as a player and has returned good value for the investment. Though the fact that the Skins' offensive production, passing production and team success all declined in 2003 might allow one to reasonably question whether the investment could've been made elsewhere with better overall success -- say, KGB who has been a double-digit sacker in each of his past three seasons. Such speculation doesn't question whether Coles met expectations, rather the wisdom of buying into a system that so heavily values WRs.

From the Jets standpoint, the loss of Coles hurt the offense, as did the loss of Pennington to injury. But with the emergence of Moss, a lack of talent at WR was not ultimately one of the teams real weaknesses. The attempt to make an undesirable situation better relied on Dewayne Robertson who played okay last year as a rookie learning a position that (next to QB and WR) takes the most time of any to adapt to, but didn't quite play up to the standard you'd hope for from a #4 overall pick. It's worth noting, however, that Robertson did still outplay two of the best DTs in the history of the game in terms of rookie output -- Randle and Cortez -- so that fact alone should give an indication of how difficult it is to judge DT talent after just one season. By the second half of this year, we should have a much better read.

Originally posted by SonnyJ

The Jets packaged that pick with their #1 and moved up to the #4 spot and got DeWayne Robertson, a DT.

I think he played to decidedly mixed reviews. Not sure what player actually got picked at #13. Doesn't mean the Redskins would have taken that player, though.

I'm ecstatic about Coles. Great use of the pick. A great WR and a true pro.

I have quite a few Jets fans as friends (I realize thats tough to believe) but many of them look at this pick as a bust. They feel he was a combine stud that doesn't have "football" skills. I keep hearing his name mentioned with the likes of Mike Mamula. OUCH!

Yeah they said we were probably gonna take Jacobs with that 13th pick.

So another reason why this trade was so great is b/c we ended up with Jacobs and Coles!

Do you all think Jacobs would have gotten more time on the field after he got back from his injury if he was selected with the 13th and not in the 2nd round?? Oh the politics.

Archived