Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MERGED: Broncos Add Hearst

carlsbadd

Broncos | Hearst Signs One-Year Deal - from www.KFFL.com

Thu, 25 Mar 2004 14:09:46 -0800

Updating a previous report, Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the contract free agent RB Garrison Hearst (49ers) signed with the Denver Broncos is a one-year deal believed to include a base salary of $760,000, according to a source.

I guess we will find out if it's the "system" or not.

I don't think he is going to be their starter. At least not the only one. He will split carries with Griffin.

I was happy the Skins got Portis because RB's in fantasy football are hard to come by that really produce. I was hoping the Broncos replaced him with a suitable fantasy player as well. And now Anthony Thomas and Thomas Jones are going to be splitting time at RB for Chicago. The RB fantasy pool gets even thinner. :doh: That is why I always draft RB the first two rounds.

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

I don't think he is going to be their starter. At least not the only one. He will split carries with Griffin.

I was happy the Skins got Portis because RB's in fantasy football are hard to come by that really produce. I was hoping the Broncos replaced him with a suitable fantasy player as well. And now Anthony Thomas and Thomas Jones are going to be splitting time at RB for Chicago. The RB fantasy pool gets even thinner. :doh: That is why I always draft RB the first two rounds.

You absolutely have to draft RB as earlier as possible....those who think you have to go QB with one of the first 2 are nuts. I got Trent Green in the 6th round last year...servicable to good Qb's are always available....on the other hand their are only about 10-12 consistent RB performers.

Broncos Add Hearst to Running Back Stable

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=2151

By Andrew Mason

DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Shortly after finalizing the contract that will bring running back Garrison Hearst to Denver for the 2004 season, General Manager Ted Sundquist smiled at the obvious comparison to half of the Broncos' recent lineage of 1,000-yard runners.

"He's a Georgia guy," Sundquist said. "Georgia guys seem to do pretty well around here."

Hearst joins the Broncos with far more experience than fellow former Bulldogs Terrell Davis and Olandis Gary had when they arrived in Denver as draft picks. Furthering the connection is the fact that Davis served as Hearst's backup with the Bulldogs.

But what attracted the Broncos to the 33-year-old Hearst was more than just the UGA pedigree. It was the persistence and fortitude he demonstrated in rebounding from two career-threatening injuries, as well as his leadership in the locker room -- similar sets of strengths as those of the team's other acquisitions of the week -- defensive linemen Raylee Johnson and Luther Elliss and safety John Lynch.

"He's been a part of playoff teams before, so he knows what it's going to take to get us where we want to go, and that is deep in the playoffs and for a shot at a Super Bowl championship," Sundquist said. "He's going to bring leadership on the offensive side that some of our new acquisitions on the defensive side will -- having seen a lot of football, having been through tough times and having overcome tough times."

A two-time NFL Comeback Player of the Year, Hearst has averaged 4.8, 4.5 and 4.3 yards per carry in the three years since returning from a horrific ankle injury incurred during the San Francisco 49ers' playoff loss at Atlanta on Jan. 9, 1999. He only missed four games over the three years since returning while rushing for 2,946 yards and catching 124 passes for 875 yards in that span.

"He's explosive. He's still got a lot of mileage left in his legs," Sundquist said. "He obviously brings some depth to a position that lost a little bit of depth here in the offseason, and we're excited about his prospects both as a runner and a receiver."

Hearst is the second offensive player signed by the Broncos from another team during the free-agency period that began March 1; Denver added Jed Weaver -- also from the 49ers -- earlier in the month. The team added quarterback Mike Quinn, who was out of football during the 2003 regular season. But the Broncos didn't ignore the offensive of the football up until then; they just concentrated on keeping their own, finishing a restructured deal with Mike Anderson and re-signing Reuben Droughns.

While defense has drawn the headlines, the team has made room for offense, as well.

"We didn't go out and spend $33 million (on defense) in one year," Sundquist said. "There are some options in there, with the structuring of contracts, that sort of thing. So all the resources haven't been dried up just on the defensive side.

"Have we concentrated solely on defense? No. It just so happened that some opportunities arose that were just too good to pass up on the defensive side. We came out of postseason evaluations needing a shutdown corner and the opportunity to get one (Champ Bailey) arose, and we jumped on it. How could you pass that up? Yes, we gave up our franchise running back for that, but we feel pretty good about the guys we already had on the team."

The signing of Hearst does not represent a final chapter in the Broncos' efforts to bolster their offense with outside acquisitions.

"We have been working very hard on evaluating offensive players and looking at the talent on that side of the ball," Sundquist said. "There is no doubt we'll (add offensive players), not only in the draft, but in free agency as well.

"You've got the draft, and you never know what's going to happen with the post-June 1 cuts. To say that we've concentrated all our resources monetarily and effort-wise to the defense would be a little misleading."

Sundquist also noted that signing Hearst does not signify a lack of confidence in Quentin Griffin, who started the Broncos' last two regular-season games in place of Clinton Portis last fall and ran for 138 yards in the Week 16 win at Indianapolis.

"Not at all," Sundquist said. "Quentin's the only guy of the three running backs -- along with Cecil (Sapp) and Ahmaad (Galloway) -- who's played substantially in a game. Should Griffin go down, where do you go? You need to have depth there.

"I'm sure Garrison is going to come in and fight his rear end off to be the starter. Whether he gets it or not, we'll have depth one way or the other, whether it's Quentin in the backup role or Garrison in the backup role. Or who knows? We may rotate. So it means nothing. I think the way Quentin came on at the end of the year showed that he could play in the league. It just took him a little while to get over the broken leg that he suffered in training camp, and then build up a little confidence that a rookie running back normally gains during training camp."

The addition of Hearst doesn't make it more or less likely that the Broncos will add a running back via the draft, either.

"I don't think any more or less," Sundquist said. "We've pretty much drafted a running back just about every year. Where that'll be, it all depends on the player at the time or the need. I don't think that it means that we're done at running back, and I don't think it necessarily means we'll go out and draft one in the first round. What it does do is strengthen the position that already has some pretty good young talent there."

Yeah, why dont they just switch one of their backup offensive linemen to running back, there is no need to waste the money on someone who actually plays the position. They can make anybody a 1000 yarder........uhhhh........right......

Skins Fan 26

This really reminds me of the Jets replacing Coles with Curtis Conway...........

that worked out real well.........

I couldnt agree with you anymore. Hearst is a chump. He hasnt done anything since his 96 yard Td run in overtime to beat the jets(i believe it was the jets). Shanahan is gonna be missing Clinton there next year when their offense scores 4 points a game.

Originally posted by ccableguy

why did they need to get a rb from free agency, i thought that portis was overrated because denver is a RB factory that produces the RB themselves?

Yeah, I mean, all kinds of sportswriters say even they can run for 1000 behind their line.

Originally posted by Skins26

Yeah, why dont they just switch one of their backup offensive linemen to running back, there is no need to waste the money on someone who actually plays the position. They can make anybody a 1000 yarder........uhhhh........right......

They should have converted Shannon Sharpe to a RB before he retires.

What I can't figure out is, with all the signings to date by Denver, where are all the "they're trying to BUY a SB" and "they'll have BIG cap trouble in a few years" articles?????

I guess those are just reserved for the Redskins.

Archived