Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homosexual Book For First-Graders

tex

Would yank my kid out of this school in a heartbeat.

Homosexual Book For First-Graders Parents Outraged Over

Story Where Prince Finds Love With Another Prince

WorldNetDaily.com

3-21-4

A North Carolina couple is outraged by a book their first-grade daughter brought home from the school library in which a prince finds his true love ñ in the form of another prince.

The leading character in "King & King," Prince Bertie, waves off a bevy of eligible princesses before falling for Prince Lee, Associated Press reported. The book ends with the two "marrying" and sharing a kiss.

"I was flabbergasted," Michael Hartsell of Wilmington, N.C., told the news service. "My child is not old enough to understand something like that, especially when it is not in our beliefs."

AP reports the 32-page book by Linda De Haan and Stern Nijland was published in March 2002 by Tricycle Press, the children's division of Ten Speed Press of Berkeley, Calif. A follow-up, "King & King & Family," was recently published. The publisher says the book is intended for readers age 6 and up.

The principal of Freeman Elementary School defended the book.

"What might be inappropriate for one family, in another family is a totally acceptable thing," Principal Elizabeth Miars is quoted as saying.

Hartsell and his wife, Tonya, said they intend to file a written complaint with the committee that reviews library books for the district and are considering transferring their daughter.

© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com, Inc. http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=37643

It's nonsense to say you shouldn't have the Bible. Perhaps if it's a very small public school you wouldn't have it.

BUt for historical and cultural reasons, I'd have no problem withthe Lotus sutra, Bible and Koran sitting on a shelf.

This is assuming that 5th graders share that library.

It may not be appropriate for K-1st.

I'd actually say that I'm in favor of having both in the library. In neither case do I see that hiding kids from the fact that some people believe that everything in those books is okay helps the kids in any way.

Let them see for themselves. Let them discuss with thier parents what they saw.

Otherwise, you have government in the business of choosing what is and what is not appropriate for kids. That to me is the greater harm.

Kids can see two daddies holding hands and kissing in the streets, so the book is not exposing kids to anything that they cannot see in real life.

-DB

They are going to file a written complaint? I'd be up in that principal's office turning over furniture. So...what's good for some children.... like a book on homosexual behavior.... is OK for all children. What's next? Pipe bomb making for middle schoolers?

Liberalism.... the enemy within!!!

It's called morality DB.... the parents weren't given a choice as to whether to subject their kids to this sensitive issue..... the school made a decision to make it for them by placing the book on their shelves.

So.... should a book on beastiality be on the shelves as well.... allowing the children to bring it home and forcing the parents to talk about it with them?

of course.

that was implied in my post, was it not?

I'm just stating my opinion on the issue, and I realize that I am in a distinct minority. I bet though, that if you are a good parent, that the content of your child's school library will have zero effect on your child's moral development.

-DB

Originally posted by DrunkenBoxer

I'd actually say that I'm in favor of having both in the library. In neither case do I see that hiding kids from the fact that some people believe that everything in those books is okay helps the kids in any way.

Let them see for themselves. Let them discuss with thier parents what they saw.

--------Young children have not reached the "age of reason" and, therefore, are not equipped to handle such issues. You know, they are impressionable. :doh:

Otherwise, you have government in the business of choosing what is and what is not appropriate for kids. That to me is the greater harm.

----------Uh, that's what's happening here in the first place.

Kids can see two daddies holding hands and kissing in the streets, so the book is not exposing kids to anything that they cannot see in real life.

See #1. :doh:

-DB

Oakton,

What are you afraid of? What negative effect?

That this will cause more people to choose to be gay? This is pretty undocumented. Kids raised by gay parents don't seem to be in any way predisposed to being gay, but there's not a whole lot of evidence, so let's call that pending at best. So if having gay parents doesn't mess with kids that much, (except for the people at school who attack them) I don't think that these books are going to have much of an effect in that respect.

So what are you worried about? That they might think being gay is okay?

If you want to raise your kid by the bible, you can explain to them that what these people are doing is a sin. That they are bad people. First graders know that murder is wrong. They can be taught that being gay is wrong. Simply having a book in the library can't compete with the parent.

and as far as the regulation issue, I will always err on the side of easing the spread of information. So long as there are also books in the library that say that being gay is wrong, than i'm okay with it.

-DB

Archived