Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In the tank for Ade J.

Dan T.

With all the talk about signing CB's to back up Smoot and Springs, I'm going to go out on a limb here and give some love to Ade Jimoh.

I recall two plays last season where he gave up TD's. On one he got faked badly on a stop and go. On the other TD he had decent coverage, but didn't react to the ball, ala Champ Bailey.

Nonetheless, as a result he got buried UNDER Spurrier's dog house. One thing a CB has got to learn early is to shake off the last play and be ready to play again, and he didn't get that chance.

He's got the raw tools - 4.4 speed, and good strength (he started out as a safety at Utah State), and good size for a CB - 6'1", 190. He's supposed to be a hard worker on the field and in the weight room.

I know nothing about the teaching skills of 'Skins DB Coach DeWayne Walker, but I hope he can mold the raw talent of Jimoh into a serviceable 3rd or 4th CB.

Jimoh will not make this team if we bring in another CB (Springs, Smoot, Bauman, Franz, and a free agent). The Skins should have allocated him to NFL Europe. I don't think he will be put on the practice squad and probably a late camp cut.

I would be surprised if this were to happen. I became incredibly frustrated with Jimoh last year. It seemed that everytime he was in, we got smoked for a deep pass. Maybe it was just me. You never know what this coaching staff can do with some of our players though. This would be a huge surprise in my book though.

His situation reminds me of Kicker David Akers. (Hear me out. . . :) ) Skins had him for 10 minutes back when Turner had the revolving door spinning looking for a reliable kicker. He missed a pretty long field goal and Poof he's gone. Then, when a team can afford to show a little patience, he reemerges as one of the most reliable kickers in the NFL.

I hope we find out if Jimoh can play before that happens again.

I liked what I saw from Adeh Jimoh early on in preseason. The biggest thing for CBs is to play with confidence and I think it's a lack of confidence that ended up hurting him later on in the season when he started to see more playing time.

Jimoh is a project at CB who has some upside but will require good coaching to get to a point where he can be counted on as a solid contributor. I'm confident that with the coaches in place he may come around and be a pleasant surprise for us.

Originally posted by essex03

If you get buried UNDER Spurriers Doghouse, you are a TERRIBLE NFL player.

Period.

Paragraph.

NEXT!

I wouldn't have such absolute confidence in Steve Spurrier's wizardry in assessing NFL talent, there essex03.

On defense, he rarely knew first and last names.

On offense, I refer you to

Wuerffel, Danny

Matthews, Shane

Anthony, Reidel

et. al.

It doesn't take a personnel genius to bury a guy because he gets beat twice.

I trust Gibbs and Williams will be able to evaluate the guy in preseason and determine whether he's fit to make the team or not.

Last year Spurrier kept ragging on the guy, rightly so, but DAMN if a player sucks so bad and you know it, what the F*ck is he doing on your roster Steve? Let alone on the field in a critical situation during the game.

Originally posted by MAPTASTIC

I trust Gibbs and Williams will be able to evaluate the guy in preseason and determine whether he's fit to make the team or not.

Last year Spurrier kept ragging on the guy, rightly so, but DAMN if a player sucks so bad and you know it, what the F*ck is he doing on your roster Steve? Let alone on the field in a critical situation during the game.

Map, a possible parital answer to your question. . .Spurrier was quoted as saying Jimoh always looked great in practice. This is another clue to me that he may be worthy of developing.

I don't want to make this guy out to be the second coming of Darrell Green, Joe Lavender, or even Jeris White or Eddie Brown or any of the other colorful ( :) )coalition of former Skins starting CB's, but I think he can play.

The same can be said of Pete Hunter on the cowboys.....was spoken highly of his "gazelle" speed and athleticism on the last Hard Knocks....but still hasn't developed into anything cept a good special teamer and that was 2 or 3 yrs ago right? if the kid can play special teams, that will buy him time for development. point blank period. :)

Archived