Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Holmes Might Visit

Sanders 83

Giants' Holmes might visit

By Jody Foldesy

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

New York Giants defensive end Kenny Holmes is expected to visit the Washington Redskins next week as the club searches for a modestly priced reinforcement for its pass rush.

Holmes has told associates he will visit, but a Redskins official said no meeting was scheduled as of yesterday evening. The official said Washington's interest in Holmes "depends on the price."

After pulling out of the Jevon Kearse chase early on free agency's first day, Washington has eschewed pass-rushing options like Grant Wistrom, Bertrand Berry and Marcellus Wiley, all of whom signed with other clubs in recent days.

Holmes, 30, isn't expected to command a premium to sign but would provide Gregg Williams, the Redskins' assistant head coach for defense, another option in putting pressure on opposing quarterbacks. Williams coached Holmes in Tennessee from 1997 to 2000.

Holmes registered eight sacks in his contract year with the Titans, then bolted to the Giants. Although he had eight sacks in 2002, his performance in New York was viewed as largely disappointing until last season, when in nine games he flashed some of his old form and recorded 51/2 sacks.

Arthroscopic knee surgery ended Holmes' 2003 season early but isn't expected to be much of a factor moving forward. He voided the final two years of his contract to set up a trip to free agency, but so far he hasn't drawn much interest.

Washington officials have contended they don't need reinforcements at defensive end and that newly signed Phillip Daniels could start at right end this season. Washington also has Regan Upshaw at the crucial pass-rushing spot. The club seemingly expects the bulk of its pressure to come from outside linebackers LaVar Arrington and Marcus Washington.

Another Giant, cornerback Ralph Brown, is scheduled to visit at some point next week, the Redskins official said. Brown worked last season with defensive backs coach DeWayne Walker, who is now with Washington.

The Redskins have offers of similar value out to Carolina Panthers linebacker Greg Favors and Giants linebacker Brandon Short, but no signing is imminent in either case. Short appears to be looking for a starting job, which isn't available in Washington. The Redskins intend to sign only one or the other.

Former Chicago Bears linebacker Warrick Holdman is scheduled to visit Monday, and former Giants linebacker Michael Barrow could make a trip at some point as well.

Meanwhile, safety Todd Franz and linebacker Lemar Marshall, both special teams regulars last season, re-signed with the Redskins.

The fact that the Skins are bringing in role players and backups for tryouts, haven't brought a single S in for a visit and are now looking at something like a third tier cb, haven't made a strong effort to resign Iffy, seems to give further credence that the Skins plan to take Taylor. Not saying I think we should - Not saying I think we shouldn't trade down - not saying I think we wouldn't be better with KW2 or Udeze etc.(please no more who SHOULD we draft comments). But it would sure seem like that is what the team is preparing to do.

Wynn has a salary this year of $2 million and 1/5 of his bonus remaining to be amortized ($583 k per year for the next 5 years). So cutting him after June 1st saves $1.417 million this year and creates dead cap of $2.332 milion in 2005. In reality though the way the cap works we would really only save about $1.1 million this year. His salary goes up to $4 million in 2005 so I would guess that's really a better time to cut him as we'd save $3.1 million in 2005 with dead cap in 2006 of $1.75 million.

I don't really see Holmes as that much of an upgrade to what we have now. He's been underachieving on a D-Line that had Strahan and Griffin on it. It would probably be a mistake bringing him in. He would probably want a decent sized contract, which we may not be able to afford.

As for iffy, they tendered him the minimum, so he'll be payed around 700-800K, unless of course someother team puts in an offer for him.

Iffy was tendered $ 628 k, so the Skins obviously plan on him being with the team in 2004, otherwise they would not have tendered him.

However, unless he has a breakout year in 2004 -- which is doubtful being he will probably be a backup -- then he will be an UFA in 2005 and likely gone anyway. :)

Kenny Holmes would be an upgrade for us if he can at least play the run well, because last year virtually no one on our DL did. Plus Holmes did have 5.5 sacks last year in 9 games, whereas Upshaw had the grand total of 1 sack, as well as too many roughing the passer penalties. :rolleyes:

Washington also has Regan Upshaw at the crucial pass-rushing spot.

Yeah, where the hell has Upshaw been? This is exactly why we have DIRE needs at the D-Line. We need a pure stud or 2 to make that one of our strong points.

Trade down ..........get extra picks.......get Udeze/Harris/Lavalis

Wynn is a solid player he is just not a pass rushing demon. I think Holmes would be a good 1-2 year bridge as a starter. Remember that Wynn can play both DE and DT and his versatility over 16 games where guys go down each week should not be discounted.

Originally posted by Larry Brown #43

I think Upshaw is terrible. He was largely a negative overall...the only time his name would ever get called in a game was when he was costing us yet another 15-yard penalty. He did nothing positive. That said, Holmes doesn't exactly excite me either.

Your hate for Upshaw resembles my frustration of the whole season last year. The sooner we get rid of those things that contributed to it, the better

PLEASE PLEASE CUT HIS A*S!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upshaw had a knee problem that hampered his ability to contribute early on in 2003 and that was frustrating for him and the team.

But, his attitude when he did get on the field was as poor as any player I can remember.

He made critical mental mistakes that cost the team third down conversions and points on the scoreboard and yet he playfully talked about how he was 'proud' of his record of getting late hit/roughing penalties, etc...............

I can't believe a player with his MO is going to survive scrutiny by Gibbs' staff in the offseason.

Either he will be cut after June 1 or if he does stay it will be because he has undergone a major change in his outlook.

Tough coaches are known to do that to players :laugh:

I think we should get him if the price is manageable. Dunno if that is the case though. However unless our d-line does spectacular next year, I can see us next year before free agency scouting possible prospects. We've so far only added 2 players, who arent that big of names except maybe Griffin.

Upshaw played like a Raiders' castoff last year. The guy obviously has major discipline problems. He could be a good player, but his bonehead mistakes really makes you wonder what is going on in his head. Holmes would have to be an upgrade over Upshaw. Wynn really had a bad year last year, did not impress at all. 22 solo tackles, 7 assists, 2 sacks, no passes knocked down (and only 2 in his 7-year career) with alot of playing time, I think he's overrated and should not be a starter in this league anymore. I am really disappointed with our moves so far, it's like we have totally ignored our glaring weakness on this team. We've been focusing more on LB than on the D-line, which makes no sense at all to me.

Archived