Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe Gibbs and The myth that follows him

Lavarleap56

I am 23 going on 24 and I have bleed Burgandy and gold since i was in the womb,it is a religion in my family . That being said i know about Joe Gibbs and what he is as a coach granted i might not know as much as the oldtime Die Hards but i know my fair share of information. I am getting frustrated by all the crazy posts concerning Taylor VS. Winslow and i wanted to start this thread so we can attempt to iron out some misconceptions.

This might get kind of long and i apoligize if iget of focus at times.

1) Gibbs is a AIR C. protege who coached Kellen Winslow SR, Sean Jefferson, and Dan Fouts and they had argueably the most dangerous passing game this game has seen to date. Kellen Winslow is what made that offense go so i have been told.

2) Gibbs comes to Washington much like Spurrier did in the sense that Cooke brought Gibbs in to start a exciteing brand of football in D.C. Gibbs began his first season as a pass happy coach intent on recreateing the air C. system but he started out 0-5

3) Gibbs was a offensive genius who was known for his wide open offense and wanting to be agressive and dictate to the defense.

The posts about this is going to be a running team so we only need blocking tight ends are foolish. Gibbs has always been able to mold his strategy around his team . Better suited to run they ran , better suited to pass they passed. With Zampesie and Gibbs together i think evryone is in for a BIG surprise come opening day and its going to come from the offensive side of the ball. The Rams, Chiefs, and Colts are offensive powerhouses and they all hae one thing in common those offense are molded from Gibbs. Zampise helped tweak and mold the Rams back in 1999 into a powerhouse and he is hear to help Gibbs do the same.

If we go with Kellen Winslow JR. our style will be like the Chiefs i believe based on more of a power run/open pass game.I

Link to the First Game of Gibbs career ,Dallas

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/longterm/1997/history/allart/dw1981a.htm

This will take a long time to read but it is worth it to the people who want to learn more about GIBBS.I have to say i am in a little bit of shock right now after reading all of these articles from the moment Gibbs was hired and the circumstances it really remindes me of Spurrier but with a different ending.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/history/gibbs/gibbs.htm

Hope you enjoyed the trip down memory lane and here is a link where you can look up and find the Stats for every year that Gibbs coached

www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/GibbJo0.htm

Lavar;

Generally you've got it right. Gibbs came in wanting to pass but he wanted to win even more so he adapted to the talent that he had and the division and climate in which he played. Some years he ran first to set up the pass, some years he passed first to set up the run. He always adjusted to stay competitive depending on the Reskin's talent and who they were playing.

I too think that he will be sorely tempted by KWII. There is a 50-50 chance that Taylor will be gone at #5, so the decision may already be made before Gibbs gets his pick.

Originally posted by lavarleap56

The posts about this is going to be a running team so we only need blocking tight ends are foolish. Gibbs has always been able to mold his strategy around his team . Better suited to run they ran , better suited to pass they passed. With Zampesie and Gibbs together i think evryone is in for a BIG surprise come opening day and its going to come from the offensive side of the ball. The Rams, Chiefs, and Colts are offensive powerhouses and they all hae one thing in common those offense are molded from Gibbs. Zampise helped tweak and mold the Rams back in 1999 into a powerhouse and he is hear to help Gibbs do the same.

One of the keys to the Gibbs 1-back offense is having multiple blocking TEs that are equally adept at blocking off the end of the line in a 3 pt stance, lined up in the backfield, or going in motion to block a blitzing LB or DB from the standing position. If you look at the stats over his career, Gibbs only involved TEs in the passing game to a large extent when he lacked 3 solid WRs and pass catching RBs. Clint Didier's biggest years came when Gibbs only had Art Monk as a reliable WR-- after Charlie Brown's departure and before the emergence of Gary Clark and Ricky Sanders. That being said, the presence of two (or sometimes 3) TEs on the field with one RB forces defenses to honor the run at any time, gives you multiple blocking options for power runs, and maximum protection against blitzes. Not to mention the occasional TE block-and-release for a critical 3rd down conversion.

Bottom line is that blocking TEs are FAR MORE IMPORTANT to the Gibbs 1-back than they would be in just about any offensive scheme being used in the NFL today. Given the quality of our WRs and pass-catching RBs, and the availability of blocking TEs for far less than the 5th pick in the draft, I highly doubt the team will draft Winslow.

The following story is true and confirms the high esteem Joe Gibbs has. Even I was shocked:

During the last Super Bowl year, I went to the game against the Rams in Anaheim CA (I was stationed in Cali at the time). I got there real early to see the the players come in. All around there were your typical autograph seekers. As the buses and taxis arrived I saw most of the players get off and a few autograph seekers would go up to them and ask for autographs. Every once in a while a fan would shout out to a player. Pretty basic for an "away" game. Anyway, one of the last buses pulls up and out comes Joe Gibbs. Everyone, I repeat, everyone, puts down their pens and paper and starts clapping, yelling, and screaming for Joe. A fan walks up to him and Joe greets him by his first name and starts shaking everyone's hands. I was really taken back by how the fans were so excited to see him but basically blew the players off. From the day on, I knew Joe Gibbs was a LEGEND"!!!!!!

Walter Rasby TE: 6'3'' 252 lbs.

Kellen Winslow TE: 6'4'' 248 lbs.

If Rasby can block, then couldn't Winslow learn to be just as effective since they have almost the same body? In fact wouldn't Winslow be quicker to hit his man?

And wouldn't the receiving talent and speed that Winslow have create a whole new set of problems for the defense?

If Taylor is gone, I think that Winslow will get alot of consideration at #5.

Personally I think the Taylor talk is a smokescreen. Gibbs created the H-back position to use Kellen Winslow and his first year he had 89 catches. When he came to Washington he never found the H-back he wanted. I think now with the opportunity to get K2 will be too hard to pass up. :2cents:

Let's keep in mind to that the last thing one wants to do with Joe Gibbs is try to pigeon hole him. Not to mention there's no telling if or what changes he's made and will make in his offensive philosophy and schemes. Though with Portis it's kind of obvious that one thing won't change. :) Want to see what Joe at his best is, take a look at the 91 season IMHO. He'd hammer at you with the before mentioned Hbacks and tightends and Byner, then he'd pass you to death in his own version of the run and shoot, ( he did it with a tight end I believe), and the posse or he'd keep you on your heels with the no huddle. Utilizing both the run and pass. And this all in one game. I think that one thing we'll see for sure is the constantly changing formation before the snap. This is one very good way to get into the heads of the modern, blitz heavy defenses. Keep 'em guessing if you will.

:cheers:

Originally posted by Buddha

One of the keys to the Gibbs 1-back offense is having multiple blocking TEs that are equally adept at blocking off the end of the line in a 3 pt stance, lined up in the backfield, or going in motion to block a blitzing LB or DB from the standing position. If you look at the stats over his career, Gibbs only involved TEs in the passing game to a large extent when he lacked 3 solid WRs and pass catching RBs. Clint Didier's biggest years came when Gibbs only had Art Monk as a reliable WR-- after Charlie Brown's departure and before the emergence of Gary Clark and Ricky Sanders. That being said, the presence of two (or sometimes 3) TEs on the field with one RB forces defenses to honor the run at any time, gives you multiple blocking options for power runs, and maximum protection against blitzes. Not to mention the occasional TE block-and-release for a critical 3rd down conversion.

Bottom line is that blocking TEs are FAR MORE IMPORTANT to the Gibbs 1-back than they would be in just about any offensive scheme being used in the NFL today. Given the quality of our WRs and pass-catching RBs, and the availability of blocking TEs for far less than the 5th pick in the draft, I highly doubt the team will draft Winslow.

IF Gibbs only uses the TE when he doesnt have quality recievers then when he was in San Diego Shawn Jefferson, Charli Joyner, And Kellen Winslow JR were the first group of recievers to all go over 1,000. I dont think that is a easy feat if your not talented at the reciever position.

Who is Shawn Jefferson?? (isnt he now with the Falcons)...its John Jefferson (aka JJ). The first NFL Receiver with 3 - 1000 yd receiving seasons('78,'79,'80) prior to the last 10 years where there have been many.

Air Coryell was Gibbs training ground. He came to the skins in '81 and tried a Steve Spurrier by trying to make Joe Theismann a "Dan Fouts" which he obviously was not. After an 0-5 start, he discovered he had some pretty good rb's (Riggins and Joe W) and the rest is history

Those who are old enough to remember, not just watch the highlights on ESPN Classic, have faith in Gibbs not only because of the SB rings but because game in/game out, he adjusted his game plan for his team's strengths

His qb's were all different sort of passers

Joe T - scrambler, great roll out passer

Jay Schroeder - mixed bag, great down the middle passer

Doug Williams - Pocket passer, great field general

Mark Rypien - no mobility, but for a couple of years threw a great long ball

Rb's

Riggins - great between the tackles

Joe W - slash back, great receiver out of the backfield

George Rogers - big back with breakaway capability

Kelvin Bryant - great draw play back with great hands out the backfield

Tim Smith - great breakaway back for at least 2-3 games

Gerald Riggs - great when you need that tough 1 yd gain

Earnest Byner - Decent slash back

Gibbs never has the same sort of personnel on any of his teams. He is the master of changing his schemes a bit here and there to adjust to his strengths....that is great coaching and exactly why the older fans follow him (and hopefully his 2004 team) like the pide piper

FYI, there was no Shawn Jefferson. It was John Jefferson. And it was Kellen Winslow SR who played for Coryell and Gibbs in SD.

Kellen Winslow JR is a TE entering the draft this year who will be selected as the 5th pick by the Redskins :)

Originally posted by bubba9497

Air Corayall had Winslow, John Jefferson, Charlie Joiner, Fouts as the QB, and Chuck Muncie feature back, Lionel "little train" James asa 3rd down scat back. They also had one of the best OL of the time, anchored by Ed White.

Jefferson wasn't with the team for long, however everything else is true.

Too bad we can have both k2 and Winslow.

But you gotta ask yourself. Which until would be helped more overall by the addition of these guys?

It has to be the D.

On Offense we already have the RB, OL, WR's, Blocking TE and QB.

On D we still need some DL help and we downgraded one of our CB's to upgrade the RB spot. We need to tighten up the DB's.

:dallasuck

What I remember most about the Joe Gibbs offense is all the pre-snap motion.....you will have two TE's moving along with H-back and WR's at the same time....it is amazing how the refs keep an eye on everyone from not doing some illegal formation....you would think the players would jump offsides all the time...but they don't....most plays are similar to other teams but are more deceptive which makes them difficult for the defense to adjust....Thank God for Gibbs....Our War Strategist is back!

I don't see Winslow JR coming to this team. He would feel he is being under utilized because he wants to show what he can do with his catching skills mostly..."Like Meshawn....Gimmie the damn ball fool".....The most balls a TE has caught in a Joe Gibbs offense is like 25..or so. He would be a better fit elsewhere that would give him his 90 catches to lead some other team in rec.

Archived