Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Worst Front Office Move of 2001?

I don't want to defend Jeff, and of course realize his career attitude problems, but if you could give me the name of ANY QB who would've succeeded in dealing with the offense that Schotty/Raye was running in the first five games of the season, I'd like to hear it.

Sooner or later this team is going to have to bite the bullet and actually have patience and stick with a QB. Benching your starting QB in the first game of the season TWICE in four years (1998 and 2001) is just absurd.

Wonder how many people here would've been calling for Peyton Manning's head this year if we were Colts fans?

In hindsight it was keeping George, but at the time he looked like our only talented alternative. I was not against it at the time given that Husak and Sage were the only other options. I would have preferred Hasselbeck (not now perhaps) or Dilfer.

Releasing Centers hurt in the short run but I odn't think he would have been a big part of the team for years to come. If his money allows the team to sign one or two guys as depth or to develop it's hard to argue against. Sure did miss him on third downs, but even had he been there, Banks is not the type of QB to find him. Johnson relied heavily on Centers because he only gave his WRs about a second and a half to get open before pulling the trigger on the short stuff. Banks is his opposite ... wait for option #1 forever and then look for a place to run (or get sacked) if it doesn't pan out.

For the record my vote goes for keeping Jeff George but ......

Another consideration, what do ya all think about letting Thrash go?

Don't you think Marty would have loved that guy? If we ever do get a decent QB and a dynamic offense, how does Westbrook, Gardner, and Thrash as WRs with Alexander as TE look a a receiver corps? We have a sound O-line and a perrenial (sp?) All-Pro Running Back.......Yikes!

MAN we gotta get the QB situaton together!

------------------

HAIL

[edited.gif by fish on January 01, 2002.]

How about letting Russ Grimm go to the Steelers?

Overnight, with minimal personnel changes, they become one of the best lines in the game and the Redskins become the leader in false start penalties.

------------------

I suspect the Skins were leaders in false start penalties over the past 5 years or so...I don't have the stats, but I believe it.

I'm not convinced that Centers would have made a great difference this year but holding on to Jeff George definitely added some losses. Marty's ego told him he could make a silk purse out of sow's ear.

Keeping George really hurt us. I didn't object to it at that time, but in hindsight, I can see what should have been done. I'm sure Marty does too, and hopefully he's learned from his mistaks.

Centers may have had an impact, because he would have been another option for Banks in the flat. I doubt he would have influenced the outcome of any games though.

[edited.gif by OrangeSkin on January 01, 2002.]

The worst decision was cutting Centers the way we did. He was a valuable guy and we didn't have to get rid of him. Keep George was not a bad move until it was realized he was going to be miscast in the offense we were running, whether by design, or due to injury.

------------------

Doom is in the box.

I'd have to vote for cutting Centers, simply because it was so arbitrary. You could make a case for keeping George, but giving Centers the heave-ho just to establish authority looked petty and stupid, especially since Larry probably would have thrived in this offense. It was also the first indication of the personality clash between Marty and the players that caused so much trouble during the preseason and the 0-5 start.

Not getting a pick for Rhodes and signing an OC that has Tampa Bay written all over him as far as performance goes.

If we released J George we would have took a cap hit we didnt need and during that time period we would have got into a bidding war for the overhype Hasslebeck or prayed that we didnt break the bank for Dilfer.

Lets not forget that our interior O line sucked also back then

------------------

Take A Sip of the Marty KoolAid and Believe.

I think Marty made more mistakes as a coach than he did as a GM. We were never really in the running for Dilfer. We didn't have the money to spend and we had too many other needs. Dilfer was coming off of a Superbowl victory and was looking to get paid early on. That is why it took him so long to hook up with a team. He signed with Seattle only a few days after we finally got the Deion situation cleared up and he prefered to play for Holgrem anyway.

I don't think Centers could have been used any better than Carter has. I would have liked to have seen a little more of Bryan Johnson and having Davis and Carter in at the same time for a few plays would have been interesting.

Marty's mistake was not doing with the offense what he did with the defense. Marty is a 3-4 defense type of guy but he went with the 4-3 because it fit the players we had here. He didn't use this same logic when it came to the offense. He tried to fit George into a WCO that he is not suited to run. Banks isn't suited for it either.

We did not try to establish the run with Davis as much as we should have in some of the earlier games and a couple of our later games. KC and San Diego were the only games that we were getting blown out in the first half. We shouldn't have been putting the game into Tony Banks hands.

Archived