Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(MERGE) More fuel for the Sean Taylor fire...

Lavarleap56

The next great safety

Miami's Sean Taylor is made for stardom

By Ken Bikoff

March 10, 2004

Miami's Sean Taylor

The University of Miami (Fla.) is a dynasty in every way imaginable. The Hurricanes boast five national championships since 1983 and have turned out a Who’s Who list of stars in the past 21 years. Names such as Jim Kelly, Bernie Kosar, Vinny Testaverde, Bennie Blades, Michael Irvin, Cortez Kennedy, Russell Maryland, Warren Sapp, Ray Lewis, Edgerrin James, Clinton Portis, Jeremy Shockey, Ed Reed and Andre Johnson all have turned the NFL into an extension of the Miami program.

Pretty soon, we’re going to be adding S Sean Taylor to that illustrious list.

Taylor has scouts drooling about his size and speed, and in a short time he has established himself as one of the true stars of the future. Taylor is a terror in the defensive backfield, combining his 4.5 speed with a 230-pound pop that produces more oohs and aahs than a Fourth of July display. He was a finalist for the Jim Thorpe Award as the top defensive back in the country and helped the Hurricanes finish with an 11-2 record in 2003, posting 77 tackles, 10 interceptions — returning three for touchdowns — and breaking up 13 passes.

Not bad for a guy with only two years of starting experience. The junior also earned honors as a Playboy Preseason All-American and earned a spot on dozens of first-team All-America lists following the season.

Taylor’s hitting is what gave him the reputation of being the top safety in the nation. His intensity and tenacity only underscored a brutal mean streak when it came to receivers wandering in his area. Taylor’s philosophy is simple: If a receiver catches a ball, he must be punished.

“Oh, that’s definitely the case,” Taylor said. “If you have a problem with it, you should go over to play defense so you will be the one doing the hitting. But I’m more of a guy where if you catch it or you come across the middle, I’m going to hit you.”

Taylor always has enjoyed hitting people, even though he made his biggest mark at Gulliver Prep in Miami on offense. Taylor set a state record by scoring 44 touchdowns as a running back in 2000 and helped his team win the Florida Class 2A state championship that season. But for Taylor, offense was too easy. It was defense that drew his interest.

“Defense is more of a challenge,” Taylor said. “Anybody can play offense and get 30 carries. You’re bound to break one. But it’s harder to play defensive back and be consistent, make tackles. You’ve got 10 other guys trying to get to the ball, and there’s a lot more pressure put on the defense. It’s a challenge all around.”

His focus on the ball might be his biggest asset. Taylor breaks strong on the ball, and he wraps up once he gets to the receiver. His desire to get to the ballcarrier has left even his teammates fearing for their safety.

“He’s a beast,” Miami DT Jonathan Vilma said of Taylor. “Point blank, he’s a beast. That’s the most dangerous guy I’ve ever been around. He’ll hit you if you get in his way, even if you’re teammates. If you’re running down the line and he’s your teammate, look over your shoulder for No. 26. If you do, move, because he’ll hit you.”

That punishing style already has taken its toll on Taylor, who will turn 21 on April Fools’ Day. He missed a game vs. Temple last season after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder, but he returned the next week and played the rest of the season with a brace. That kind of toughness impressed scouts, and it only solidified his status as a top prospect. In fact, one NFL head coach considers Taylor to be the top player in the entire draft because he’s like a cornerback in a linebacker’s body.

But safeties historically haven’t been high draft choices. Taylor’s predecessor at Miami, current Ravens All-Pro Ed Reed, was selected 24th overall in 2002, and only one safety in the past 10 years, Dallas’ Roy Williams, has been selected as high as eighth overall. Taylor says he isn’t concerned about where he is selected, and claims he won’t be disappointed if he isn’t the first defensive back to hear his name called.

Yeah, right.

“I have no choice in picking,” Taylor said. “I’m just going to try to do my best to make an impression on a team. I’d like to be No. 1. I don’t settle for second. But (not being picked high) isn’t settling for second. That’s just the hand you’re dealt, and that’s fine.”

Taylor credits playing basketball with helping his quickness and hand-eye coordination, but he doesn’t think anything else made him any more advanced as a player. His instincts, however, might be what set him apart.

“Instincts play a big part in the way I play,” Taylor said. “A lot of times my instincts lead me right to the ball. A lot of times it’s the read I get from the quarterback. I might have to slow my progressions down when I come to the NFL just to get the hang of it. But instincts still are going to be a big part.”

The bottom line is that Taylor just doesn’t have a lot of negatives to his game. He could improve his balance and be a little more disciplined when it comes to how he uses his body when hitting, but that’s nitpicking. Taylor is being mentioned by some scouts in same sentence as Hall of Famer Ronnie Lott. That’s pretty heady company.

Taylor’s play was intimidating in college because opponents had to take into account where he was at all times on the field.

“He’s such a playmaker,” Florida State QB Chris Rix told reporters prior to the Orange Bowl this year. “He has so much speed and talent. I’ve definitely got to keep the ball away from him. I know if I leave anything inside or up there, he’s going to get it.”

Whether it is a big hit or a key interception, Taylor just aims to be the one who turns the tide. He also doesn’t take plays off, because he knows that a play early in the game can have lasting effects.

“If you hit a guy in the first quarter and there’s another pass coming in the third quarter, he’s going to think about it a lot differently,” Taylor said. “He might shorten his arms a little bit, and there goes your pick. You never know. It’s like a chess match.”

Taylor kept scouts talking about him with his performance at Miami’s pro day, when he averaged 4.51 seconds in three attempts at running the 40. He also showed off a 35-inch vertical leap to solidify his status as one of the best athletes in the draft.

“I try to be competitive in everything I do,” Taylor said. “If it’s hockey, I’ll try and compete in that. I think my workouts and what I do on the field take care of where I should go at (in the draft). Everybody wants to go as high as possible, and it’s really a blessing just to be here, to tell you the truth. I’m enjoying every minute of it.”

The next great safety

Miami's Sean Taylor is made for stardom

By Ken Bikoff

March 10, 2004

Miami's Sean Taylor

The University of Miami (Fla.) is a dynasty in every way imaginable. The Hurricanes boast five national championships since 1983 and have turned out a Who’s Who list of stars in the past 21 years. Names such as Jim Kelly, Bernie Kosar, Vinny Testaverde, Bennie Blades, Michael Irvin, Cortez Kennedy, Russell Maryland, Warren Sapp, Ray Lewis, Edgerrin James, Clinton Portis, Jeremy Shockey, Ed Reed and Andre Johnson all have turned the NFL into an extension of the Miami program.

Pretty soon, we’re going to be adding S Sean Taylor to that illustrious list.

Taylor has scouts drooling about his size and speed, and in a short time he has established himself as one of the true stars of the future. Taylor is a terror in the defensive backfield, combining his 4.5 speed with a 230-pound pop that produces more oohs and aahs than a Fourth of July display. He was a finalist for the Jim Thorpe Award as the top defensive back in the country and helped the Hurricanes finish with an 11-2 record in 2003, posting 77 tackles, 10 interceptions — returning three for touchdowns — and breaking up 13 passes.

Not bad for a guy with only two years of starting experience. The junior also earned honors as a Playboy Preseason All-American and earned a spot on dozens of first-team All-America lists following the season.

Taylor’s hitting is what gave him the reputation of being the top safety in the nation. His intensity and tenacity only underscored a brutal mean streak when it came to receivers wandering in his area. Taylor’s philosophy is simple: If a receiver catches a ball, he must be punished.

“Oh, that’s definitely the case,” Taylor said. “If you have a problem with it, you should go over to play defense so you will be the one doing the hitting. But I’m more of a guy where if you catch it or you come across the middle, I’m going to hit you.”

Taylor always has enjoyed hitting people, even though he made his biggest mark at Gulliver Prep in Miami on offense. Taylor set a state record by scoring 44 touchdowns as a running back in 2000 and helped his team win the Florida Class 2A state championship that season. But for Taylor, offense was too easy. It was defense that drew his interest.

“Defense is more of a challenge,” Taylor said. “Anybody can play offense and get 30 carries. You’re bound to break one. But it’s harder to play defensive back and be consistent, make tackles. You’ve got 10 other guys trying to get to the ball, and there’s a lot more pressure put on the defense. It’s a challenge all around.”

His focus on the ball might be his biggest asset. Taylor breaks strong on the ball, and he wraps up once he gets to the receiver. His desire to get to the ballcarrier has left even his teammates fearing for their safety.

“He’s a beast,” Miami DT Jonathan Vilma said of Taylor. “Point blank, he’s a beast. That’s the most dangerous guy I’ve ever been around. He’ll hit you if you get in his way, even if you’re teammates. If you’re running down the line and he’s your teammate, look over your shoulder for No. 26. If you do, move, because he’ll hit you.”

That punishing style already has taken its toll on Taylor, who will turn 21 on April Fools’ Day. He missed a game vs. Temple last season after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder, but he returned the next week and played the rest of the season with a brace. That kind of toughness impressed scouts, and it only solidified his status as a top prospect. In fact, one NFL head coach considers Taylor to be the top player in the entire draft because he’s like a cornerback in a linebacker’s body.

But safeties historically haven’t been high draft choices. Taylor’s predecessor at Miami, current Ravens All-Pro Ed Reed, was selected 24th overall in 2002, and only one safety in the past 10 years, Dallas’ Roy Williams, has been selected as high as eighth overall. Taylor says he isn’t concerned about where he is selected, and claims he won’t be disappointed if he isn’t the first defensive back to hear his name called.

Yeah, right.

“I have no choice in picking,” Taylor said. “I’m just going to try to do my best to make an impression on a team. I’d like to be No. 1. I don’t settle for second. But (not being picked high) isn’t settling for second. That’s just the hand you’re dealt, and that’s fine.”

Taylor credits playing basketball with helping his quickness and hand-eye coordination, but he doesn’t think anything else made him any more advanced as a player. His instincts, however, might be what set him apart.

“Instincts play a big part in the way I play,” Taylor said. “A lot of times my instincts lead me right to the ball. A lot of times it’s the read I get from the quarterback. I might have to slow my progressions down when I come to the NFL just to get the hang of it. But instincts still are going to be a big part.”

The bottom line is that Taylor just doesn’t have a lot of negatives to his game. He could improve his balance and be a little more disciplined when it comes to how he uses his body when hitting, but that’s nitpicking. Taylor is being mentioned by some scouts in same sentence as Hall of Famer Ronnie Lott. That’s pretty heady company.

Taylor’s play was intimidating in college because opponents had to take into account where he was at all times on the field.

“He’s such a playmaker,” Florida State QB Chris Rix told reporters prior to the Orange Bowl this year. “He has so much speed and talent. I’ve definitely got to keep the ball away from him. I know if I leave anything inside or up there, he’s going to get it.”

Whether it is a big hit or a key interception, Taylor just aims to be the one who turns the tide. He also doesn’t take plays off, because he knows that a play early in the game can have lasting effects.

“If you hit a guy in the first quarter and there’s another pass coming in the third quarter, he’s going to think about it a lot differently,” Taylor said. “He might shorten his arms a little bit, and there goes your pick. You never know. It’s like a chess match.”

Taylor kept scouts talking about him with his performance at Miami’s pro day, when he averaged 4.51 seconds in three attempts at running the 40. He also showed off a 35-inch vertical leap to solidify his status as one of the best athletes in the draft.

“I try to be competitive in everything I do,” Taylor said. “If it’s hockey, I’ll try and compete in that. I think my workouts and what I do on the field take care of where I should go at (in the draft). Everybody wants to go as high as possible, and it’s really a blessing just to be here, to tell you the truth. I’m enjoying every minute of it.”

i guess he was a jr my bad...

even without a QB and a team that runs the ball alot I would expect more then 1 td out of a top five prospect. I still think he's going to be a good player, don't get me wrong but I think there are others who will help this team more.

I think the plan is prety simple and it has been pretty clearly stated by Gibbs. We are going to draft KWJ or Taylor. Either one is fine by me. If KWJ is available I have a gut feeling he is Gibbs first choice. He would make our offense nearly unstopable. If not, Taylor makes one hell of a consolation prize. Both guys are the kind of players the opposition has to account for. Either one could win us one or two extra games per year.

That one draft pick is going to be a lot of fun. Either way we win but the suspense is killing me. :twitch:

Archived