Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ramsey's Future

Does anyone actually believe we keep Ramsey on the bench for two years? If he doesn't start this year, he will push for a trade and we end up losing a very promising 24 yr old QB for a 34 yr old QB with a few years left. If Gibbs can actually pacify Ramsey and keep him believing that he will get a fair chance to start if he plays better, etc. then he truly is a genius. However, it's obvious to everyone else that Brunnell was brought here to be the starter. You don't tie up that much money in a backup QB.

You hit the nail on the head.....Ramsey will play because Brunell will not start every game because of health. I look for Brunell to start this year, Ramsey to get plenty of playing time, and then, after another year to learn, Ramsey to take over this team for good in 2005.

:dallasuck

Gibbs is used to precap rosters. So, when he thinks about his needs, the priority of money isn't paramount. Getting the best guy is. Gibbs was given a coaching budget and busted it by a wide degree. Don't we have some assistant coaches making head coaching money? Gibbs felt he needed two good qbs. We now have two top notch qb's. If Ramsey proves to be the man then Gibbs will start him. He's done it before. The Shroeder/Williams/Rypien carasouel is one qb example. Does he expect the vet to win, I think he does. Will he be fair in his appraisal... I believe he will. Will Ramsey benefit from being under Gibbs tuteledge. That too. During his first two seasons, I don't remember Ramsey moaning to the press. He had every right to be unhapppy and whine. Season 1: Unproductive play at qb and I'm not being given a chance. Season 2: I'm getting the blink beat out of me. All my blockers and coaches are bums. He never said any of that. I would bet he is not happy that we sought and seem to have aquired Brunell. I'll further bet that it hasn't caused to whimper, crawl in a corner and shout it's not fair I'm taking my ball and going home.

This contract is not a huge salary cap hit in the first couple of years. It is 7 years long to spread out the value, but the bulk of the money that Brunell will see is the 8.6M signing bonus.

Ramsey isn't going anywhere unless he steps completely out of the character that we have seen in him and believe that he is. I believe that Ramsey is a stand up guy and may be dissapointed if he loses out in competition, but he also understands that this may be great for his career over the long haul. He knows that he will get his day in the sun.

This is a very smart move and I easily see Ramsey second string as long as Gibbs thinks it's the best idea. Make no mistahe, though, Ramsey will be ready if Brunell gets hurt. If Ramsey's feelings are hurt by this, he'd do well to get over it b/c he's still crucial to the 2004 team's success and nearly central thereafter.

Everyone (including Sexton) can stop overreacting about this move. Don't y'all have work to do?

Originally posted by kingdaddy

Yes, Ramsey stays on the bench. He was lucky to be starting as early as he did in the first place. No doubt he has a canon, but, do you remember how badly he overthrew a wide open Coles in the corner of the end zone against the Eagles on the last play of the game?

Do you remember how he rallied the Redskins to be in a position to tie that game? How about the Giants game? No? Or the Falcons game?

I pray we can keep Ramsey, and in my opinion if there's any young guy out there that would be suited, skill-wise and personality-wise, to quarterback the Washington Redskins, it's Patrick Ramsey. I for one hope he takes this challenge and makes the most of it.

Hail to the Redskins.

I am not sure what all of the complaints are. The bottom line is simple. Patrick has not proven that he could much more than get up after taking a pounding ( which I admit is impressive). But winning, his record doesn't show that he is a winner. Now I understand that he played under a system that may not have been the best for him to win in. But Brunell does not make this team worse.

It wouldn't kill me if they traded Ramsey for a first round pick.

Not to worry.

Forget that the Post said Brunell "will almost certainly" start.

Forget that the Florida Times Union reported again this morning that Gibbs promised Brunell he would start.

Forget that they've had several conversations each day over the last couple weeks according to Steinberg, and have had a chance to "bond" as mutual concerns/hopes were discussed. I've got no doubt that all of those chats and representations go out the window once he's signed. Once he's inked, he will be made a backup instantly. And he can't complain no matter what he was told. Because he's the guy who signed the contract and there's nothing in there guaranteeing him the starter's job, or even a fair chance to compete. If he passed up a starting role in Miami to come here and be made the backup from Day One, he's got no one to blame but his agent and his own gullibility.

After all, that's what we're telling Ramsey, right?

Originally posted by coolskin

Ramsey has to get out of Washington as fast as possible for his own benefit. He is more maketable now than after the season .

I don't think that other teams in the league would forget about Ramsey or consider him a perrenial backup like Gus Frerotte if he rides our bench for one year. He has already shown his potential in the NFL and received praise for it. Plus he is still in his rookie contract.

If teams are so gung ho about Henson and he hasn't taken a snap in the NFL, then teams won't be that quick to forget about Ramsey.

I don't understand all the talk of Brunell getting hurt. You have to get hit to get hurt and Gibbs offenses, as a rule, do not give up that many hits on the QB. I'm not sure the starter gets hurt.

And I am not happy about this move for a totally different reason than making Ramsey unhappy. I think we just addressed a position that was a strength this last year, not a weekness, while we ignored needs on the defensive line and the tight end position. This was a lot of money to spend on a guy who could not regain his job last year from a rookie and plays a position where we have a guy who certainly looks like he can do the job when other positions are obviously hurting.

Originally posted by jbooma

Brunell is the starter it is obvious.

I would not be surprised to see Brunell start because he has a lot more experience and because his passer completion % is in the 60% range where Ramsey is in the low 50's. With that said, I do think that Gibbs is upfront and honest when he said there would be an open competition. It may not stay open for a long time, but it will be open at least during the mini camps and maybe the first week of training camp. I don't think Gibbs would let the competition linger deep into the preseason because he will want the team to gain some cohesiveness and chemistry with the starting unit as much as they can.

- Ramsey hasn't proven himself? Perhaps you wanted him to win despite having no protection, defense, running game, or hot routes. You people call yourselves fans? Basketball fans maybe becuase if you blame ramsey for over throwing guys after getting clobbered and playing injured you don't know football.

- Losing Ramsey would set this team back big time. Brunell will not play all and maybe even most of next season. Having to address the need of a great back up because your main guy is a WWII vet means putting the Defense (which is getting worse not better) on the back burner again.

- Ramsey would be smart to demand a trade. If his contract expires while he is filling in the #2 spot he stands to lose a lot of money.

Archived