Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Impact of a southpaw

HailVictory

I can't remember the last time we had a southpaw at QB, but does this increase the importance of the right tackle position and diminish that of the left tackle?

In Jax, Brunell had one of the best in Boselli at LT, but Leon Searcy garnered Pro Bowl honors as well for protecting Brunell's blindside.

Does this increase our bargaining power with Samuels to renegotiate his contract?

What's the effect on WR's and their ability to adapt to a ball coming from different angles with opposite rotation?

What's the impact on opposing DB's if they aren't used to a southpaw delivery?

Lastly, I hope Brunell won't have to do too much scrambling, but we finally have a qb that can tuck the ball away and make things happen with his feet. The ability to scramble against NFC East defenses cannot be understated...

Originally posted by HailVictory

Lastly, I hope Brunell won't have to do too much scrambling, but we finally have a qb that can tuck the ball away and make things happen with his feet. The ability to scramble against NFC East defenses cannot be understated...

Bru hasn't scrambled in years. He's way pass his prime. I just don't get the move. I think this will have a real neagtive impact.

I dont think anyone has ever thrown a left-handed pass for the Redskins...If we dont run the ball effectively it doesnt matter who is blocking for you. I dont know if I agree with contract cosidering Brunell's age but one thing is for sure, Ramsey will benefit having this guy tutoring him.:D

Brunell is only 33. He will be 34 during the season. this is getting up in age for a QB, but definitely not old. Heck, Gannon took his team to the superbowl two years ago throwing the football around as well as anyone.

Trent Green is in his 33, but didn't look rusty this year.

Brad Johnson threw a lot of pics this year, but he was one of the better QB's for the first half of the season before the Bucs fell apart. He is 35.

Drew Bledsoe is 32. He is still considered a decent QB in the league, even though he had a very bad year last year.

Steve McNair is 31 and has a ton of injuries, but was a co-MVP this year.

I don't think age is much of a factor. I think that when Brunell got injured the Jaguars used the injury to justify investing playing time into Leftwich because the FO and coaching staff didn't believe that with a new coaching staff they would be making the playoffs, so why not start looking to the future. They already knew that Brunell was going to be with a different team at the end of the year due to cap reasons.

I remember there were trade rumblings throughout last offseason surrounding Brunell, but the team wanted the insurance for Leftwich for at least last year. I don't understand why people think that Leftwich was the better QB in Jacksonville. He wasn't. He was just the wiser choice for the direction that Jacksonville was heading in.

Interesting questions, HailVictory. Certainly Jon Jansen becomes a more important lineman.

Not sure about about adjustments by WR's. Less of an impact than left-footed punters have on return men, that's for sure.

And Let's discuss Brunell's mobility. Can he still run the ball if need be? I love having that as a weapon, and we haven't had it here in a long time. . . .

All that is effected really is the blindside is now from the right instead of the left, in Gibbs' max protect offense, this should not matter too much.

Whilst Brunnel is not as mobile as he once was I bet he can still be effective on rollouts when Gibbs uses the moving pocket.

Originally posted by bnacpa

Brunell is only 33. He will be 34 during the season. this is getting up in age for a QB, but definitely not old. Heck, Gannon took his team to the superbowl two years ago throwing the football around as well as anyone.

Trent Green is in his 33, but didn't look rusty this year.

Brad Johnson threw a lot of pics this year, but he was one of the better QB's for the first half of the season before the Bucs fell apart. He is 35.

Drew Bledsoe is 32. He is still considered a decent QB in the league, even though he had a very bad year last year.

Steve McNair is 31 and has a ton of injuries, but was a co-MVP this year.

I don't think age is much of a factor. I think that when Brunell got injured the Jaguars used the injury to justify investing playing time into Leftwich because the FO and coaching staff didn't believe that with a new coaching staff they would be making the playoffs, so why not start looking to the future. They already knew that Brunell was going to be with a different team at the end of the year due to cap reasons.

I remember there were trade rumblings throughout last offseason surrounding Brunell, but the team wanted the insurance for Leftwich for at least last year. I don't understand why people think that Leftwich was the better QB in Jacksonville. He wasn't. He was just the wiser choice for the direction that Jacksonville was heading in.

i totally agree with that logic. there usually is a point in a players career that he "gets it", usually they are out the league or lost too many steps to do anything about it. qb definately is one of those positions where if you can still have a servicable arm at that point you're going to put up big numbers.

Personally...if we're talking about Leftwich starting over Brunell, and the Jags in general...

I don't think Del Rio has been a very effective coach. It showed in his team's record this season.

So, who's to say that Brunell can't come to DC, 32 or not, and find himself at the top of the NFL again under a genuis HC?

Originally posted by NavyDave

Brunell isnt old and he was replaced by Leftwich.

I wonder who becomes his primary receiver. Gardner?

Heck I'd take Leftwich over Ramsey heck saw the kid downtown the other day talk about huge.

I was thinking about this too, but I remembered last year Coles and Gardner were on the same side all the time and Spurrier didn't create mismatches. However, I feel Coles will be lining up on both sides with Gibbs at the helm.

Originally posted by Riggins Seventy Chip

Brunnell is past his prime. He also gets hurt every year. If he was that good of a QB, why does Jacksonville go get a rookie QB to replace him?

once again for the ignorant crowd, if you don't count last year he has averaged 14.9 games a year the last 7, so where are all these injuries you guys make up :doh:

Jack Del Rio reminded us that he is a defensive coach with his handling of the QB's last year. Leftwich was up and down last year. He probably needed a little more seasoning before being thrown into the mix.

Del Rio is a buffoon. Carolina sure didn't seem to miss him.

It's not like leftwich outplayed Brunell. Brunell got hurt last year, but since the season was a loser for them anyway, why not let your future QB get as many snaps as possible? They were gonna deal or drop Brunell after the season anyway, especially with the cap # and bonus they would be paying him.

Originally posted by Riggins Seventy Chip

Brunnell is past his prime. He also gets hurt every year. If he was that good of a QB, why does Jacksonville go get a rookie QB to replace him?

If he really is washed up, that doesn't say much for Joe Gibbs' judgement, does it?:rolleyes:

Maybe Joe is washed up too.:laugh:

Archived