Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Articles & threads about Brunell signing (Merge)

Lavarleap56

Originally posted by airSkins91

go be a cowboy fan then:dallasuck

:2cents:

I will...sike. I'm just tired of always sitting in my apartment with Steelers fans, Giuants fans, and fending off questions like "why does you team spend somuch money and not win?" I'm sick of it. This deal stinks. This isn't 1996. Look to the future Joe.

8.6M over 7 years with early league minimum salaries or low salary amounts is not a huge investment in a QB. The only reason why teams backload such huge amounts is so that the signing bonus is in proportion of the contract.

I actually think that smart players know they won't see the hefty salaries that are backloaded. Those large amounts almost guarantee that a player will be cut, traded, or renegotiated in time.

I am glad that we have depth at the QB position. The best news here is that Brunell understands that this is an open QB competition as well as Ramsey. May the best QB win!!!! Either way it makes the Redskins better. I like Ramsey a lot, but I have no grudges towards Brunell. I think they both are very talented.

I have to admit that a player with a 60+ % completion percentage is very encouraging.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A56505-2004Feb19.html

-Year Contract Clears Way For Trade With Jaguars

By Nunyo Demasio

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, February 20, 2004; Page D01

INDIANAPOLIS, Feb. 19 -- The Redskins reached a contract agreement with Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Mark Brunell late Thursday night, clearing the way for a trade that will bring the three-time Pro Bowl player to Washington.

The seven-year deal's total value is $43.36 million, including an $8.6 million signing bonus. Owner Daniel Snyder, here to attend the annual NFL combine, negotiated intermittently with agent Leigh Steinberg by telephone before closing the deal around 10:45 p.m.

The Redskins are expected to give up a third-round draft pick to consummate the deal on March 3, the start of free agency and the NFL's trading period. At that point, Brunell, who turns 34 in September, will officially become a Redskin and new coach Joe Gibbs will have the veteran signal-caller he has sought since coming back to the team last month.

"Mark is extremely enthusiastic about the prospect of joining the Redskins and eventually winning a Super Bowl," Steinberg said. "The last couple of weeks have given Mark an opportunity to talk daily to Joe Gibbs.

"They've been able to talk on a variety of football topics. Mark's comfort level with the coach has grown enormously and they have been able to bond."

The contract is heavily back-loaded, and the signing bonus is spread out over the length of the contract to help lessen the salary cap burden.

According to sources familiar with negotiations, the contract is essentially a four-year deal. Brunell is scheduled to earn approximately $20 million through 2007, not including incentives for making the playoffs and Pro Bowl appearances. At age 38, it is unlikely the Redskins would keep the quarterback on their roster for the final three years and $23 million remaining on the contract.

The Redskins were the only team that had made a trade offer to Jacksonville for Brunell. The Jaguars wouldn't allow a team to meet their quarterback without receiving a proposal, and Jacksonville allowed Gibbs to travel to Florida this month to meet with Brunell.

The NFL prohibits teams from contacting players under contract without permission.

Another team can still make an offer but Brunell has sway in his final destination partly because of a $2 million roster bonus due from Jacksonville that he waived as part of the deal.

The size of Brunell's signing bonus indicates that he will almost certainly start, although Gibbs has said there will be an open competition, leaving the door open for incumbent starter Patrick Ramsey, who will be entering his third season.

Ramsey's agent, Jimmy Sexton, has indicated that his client may seek a trade if the Redskins acquired Brunell. According to a league source, the Miami Dolphins have inquired about Ramsey's availability and were rebuffed.

Sexton is scheduled to meet with Snyder to discuss Ramsey's situation. Gibbs, who is scheduled to arrive here Saturday, has insisted that the Redskins will not trade Ramsey.

This is the key:

According to sources familiar with negotiations, the contract is essentially a four-year deal. Brunell is scheduled to earn approximately $20 million through 2007, not including incentives for making the playoffs and Pro Bowl appearances. At age 38, it is unlikely the Redskins would keep the quarterback on their roster for the final three years and $23 million remaining on the contract.

Even if he wins the job over Ramsey, that doesn't guarantee him health or the fact that he will start again next year. This is good news for the skins. Depth at any position is good news.

The concern for me is that it says that Sexton is going to meet with Snyder to discuss Ramsey's future. Shouldn't Gibbs be part of that meeting? I don't want to see players and their agents going to the owner everytime they are unhappy with the coaches decision.

This is like having your father or mother call your teacher because you don't like the grade you got on a test.

I hope that Ramsey reigns in his agent. He has already spoken with Gibbs. Give things a year and see how things go. He has no idea what things will be like for the Redskins next year based on his experience with Spurrier's regime.

Yes we are ... and hopefully we will be able to develop Hamden or Hasselbeck over the real long term .... Unfortunately, that usually doesn't work out due to free agency, but it would be nice to see if Hamden (local kid) can stick around and develop. He has all the raw skills, just needs a lot more experience. Hasselbeck may outlast Hamden based on current skill and experience, but I don't see his raw skills as promising and for a 3rd stringer, it is mostly about development

Originally posted by DG-Skinsmann

It is a tough one to swallow, however as many people have stated and restated that we must have faith in Gibbs! Ramsey does not have the experience we need, PR will benefit waiting his turn as Rypien did, watching Williams win the Superbowl.

we needed two good QB's , now we have them to

run our offense:cheers:

I agree. If Ramsey doesn't win it outright this year, he will benefit from learning the Gibbs system. We would all be foolish to believe a QB will remain upright in any coach's system for an entire year. Most likely, both QBs will see playing time. Someone send Ramsey the Extremskins DVD collection so he can get a start on the film study.

OK, we've got some numbers to play with, lets see if we can figure out what Brunell's contract looks like each year. We know the following:

SB = $8.6 million

4-year total = $20 mil (presumably includes the SB)

7-year total = 43.36

What kind of annual numbers would add up to these totals? Here's one set that does (there are an infinite number of ways this could be done, but this one makes sense to me)

2004 SB $8.6 million

2004 salary $2 mil

2005 salary $2.5

2006 salary $3

2007 salary $4

2008 salary $5

2009 salary $8

2010 salary $10.3

Brunell's cap hit for each year would be his salary plus the amortized SB of $8.6/7=$1.23 mil per year. This works out to a total cap hit of $3.23 mil in 2004 and $3.73 mil in 2005.

If we cut Brunell in 2 years, after the 2005 season, his dead cap hit would be 6.14 mil. If he stays 3 years, the dead cap hit is 4.91 mil, and if he stays 4 years, the dead cap hit would be $3.68 mil.

Not bad for a couple of years, but after that it gets steep.

Originally posted by Gilgamesh

We are in the best shape at the QB position that we've been in some time...perhaps ever. Certainly better in terms of overall talent than we were with Theisman/Hart, Schroeder/Williams or Rypien/Rutledge.

That is exactly what I am thinking, we are solid at the QB position, all you naysayers will be singing a different tune when the season starts and the Skins are a contender:applause: :applause:

• 8 months later...

Archived