Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Spurrier coach again in the NFL?

Commander PK

I think that there is a chance he will. It would be wise for him to start out as part of an offensive staff, like with the QBs or something and work his way to the top so that he has time to learn the NFL and work up to the HC spot.

Originally posted by codeorama

I don't think so, I believe that the players in the NFL are a little to difficult for him to deal with. College is more suited for his talents.

He was successful with the pro players in the USFL. I think he is burned out. He figured he could implement his system in the NFL and coast on in to the playoffs. I think one day he might want to come back to the big leagues when he's ready to put in the hours.

I don't think he should be a head coach in the NFL again. He lost the respect of his players, and he quit, both of which don't speak well for him. I don't think he realizes the level of committment and determination it takes to be a successful NFL head coach. However, it wouldn't surprise me if some idiot franchise gives him another shot.

Originally posted by galentjm

I don't think he should be a head coach in the NFL again. He lost the respect of his players"

when did this myth happen? If you read all the quotes from the top players on the team... They all liked him, and thought it would work in the nfl, but that they just didn't have all the right supporting cast.

Originally posted by GSF

Code,

Are you saying that nfl players are difficult to deal with, or that SOS doesn't know how to deal with the players?

IMO, a little of both.

Today's NFL players are a little more "me" centered.

Spurrier was used to the college guys that looked up to him like a father figure. In the NFL, he's just Steve. Some people are equipt to adjust and some are not. I don't think anyone can argue that Spurrier knows football, the problem is that he couldn't deal with the pro players who are making millions. He tried to be the anti Marty which if you followed his college career, that was not him at all. I think he was very aware of the past coaching failures and thus, he became another.

Originally posted by airSkins91

when did this myth happen? If you read all the quotes from the top players on the team... They all liked him, and thought it would work in the nfl, but that they just didn't have all the right supporting cast.

Maybe this myth happened when players were missing practices. Or perhaps when they kept committing the same bonehead penalties over and over, knowing their starting jobs weren't in jeopardy. Or it could have happened after cell phones were ringing during team meetings. I don't know when this myth happened. :rolleyes:

Archived