Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deal with the Devil? Jets fan discuss Lamont Jordan for Gardner

@DCGoldPants

http://forums.theganggreen.com/index.php?showtopic=15087&st=0entry234720

So....I will bring the same highly unlikely situation here.

If the Jets offered LaMont Jordan for Rod Gardner, do we make the deal?

That would make our 1st rounder even more interesting. If Fitz is on the board, he might be the #2 to Coles......if not and we go with Coles, McCants and Jacobs......then we use that pick on a DL for sure and maybe go into the season with Jordan and Betts.

Who knows? that's why I dragged it over here.

In a heart beat. I see them as equivalent players. We're deep at WR but we need a good RB. It would be lucky for us if we could deal for him before the Jets get to see what he can do as a starter. LaMont's got power, he's able to break-away, he can catch, and he's very good in short yardage.

It's a very interesting idea. I agree that LaMont is still a largely unknown quantity, he hasn't proven a lot with the Jets. But Gardner hasn't exactly become a Pro Bowl fixture either, and he doesn't have a Curtis Martin starting ahead of him. If we could get a second-day draft pick thrown in, I'd go for it.

Jordan

RUSHING

Year Team G GS Att Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ FD

2001 New York Jets 16 0 39 292 7.5 46 1 3 14

2002 New York Jets 14 0 84 316 3.8 61 3 1 17

2003 New York Jets 16 0 46 190 4.1 39 4 2 14

TOTAL 46 0 169 798 4.7 61 8 6 45

RECEIVING

Year Team G GS No Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ FD

2001 New York Jets 16 0 7 44 6.3 25 1 1 0 2

2002 New York Jets 14 0 17 160 9.4 27 0 1 0 8

2003 New York Jets 16 0 11 101 9.2 25 0 2 0 5

TOTAL 46 0 35 305 8.7 27 1 4 0 15

Gardner

RECEIVING

Year Team G GS No Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ FD

2001 Washington Redskins 16 16 46 741 16.1 85 4 8 5 28

2002 Washington Redskins 16 15 71 1006 14.2 43 8 13 2 51

2003 Washington Redskins 16 16 59 600 10.2 35 5 7 0 30

TOTAL 48 47 176 2347 13.3 85 17 28 7 109

RUSHING

Year Team G GS Att Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ FD

2001 Washington Redskins 16 16 1 16 16.0 16 0 0 1

2002 Washington Redskins 16 15 1 1 1.0 1 0 0 0

2003 Washington Redskins 16 16 0 0 --- 0 0 0 0

TOTAL 48 47 2 17 8.5 16 0 0 1

PASSING

Year Team G GS Att Comp Pct Yards YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate

2001 Washington Redskins 16 16 0 0 --- 0 --- 0 0 0 0/0 0 0 ---

2002 Washington Redskins 16 15 1 0 0.0 0 0.00 0 0 0 0/0 0 0 39.6

2003 Washington Redskins 16 16 3 2 66.7 46 15.33 36 2 0 0/0 1 0 149.3

TOTAL 48 47 4 2 50.0 46 11.50 36 2 0 0/0 1 0 131.3

Jordan is a career backup. If he was so great he would have been starting by now. With Martin a year or two away from retirement, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Jets draft a RB. Gardner has flaws but he is a solid #2 NFL receiver, worth more a lot more than a backup RB, especially when there are a bunch of quailty RBs in the draft, and FA RBs available.

How quickly we forget Rod Gardner's solid season from 2002. Not too many teams in the league can say that their number 2 receiver is a former 1,000 yard receiver. I guess as the saying goes "you are only as good as your last game/season".

Let's give Gardner a chance to get back on track under the tutelage of Coach Gibbs. If he continues with the bonehead plays, penalties, drops, etc. after this season, ship him out and get what you can for him, but give the guy a chance to redeem himself.

Think about how dangerous our passing game was in week 2 vs. Atlanta. If I remember correctly, Coles had 11 catches and Rod had 10. Both guys went over 100 yards receiving that day and formed a great one-two punch. That's what we have to look forward to in terms of WR production if Rod rededicates himself and focuses more often. It would be a mistake to let him go at this point.

Jordan is a dog. You definitely wouldn't trade him for Gardner. You MIGHT consider trading Gardner for Jordan and a second round pick or something of that nature. But, to be honest, Jordan wouldn't even be assured a roster spot here behind the backs we DO have, much less a starting role.

Nah. Like others it would be nice to see gardner, ( and others), in a...well....the Gibbs system. Though Gardner wasn't all that bad in S.S.'s, just gotta work on the consistancy. Sides. Some guys, (like Jordan), are better off staying on the farm team a little longer. However, there's a certain DLineman who may need to get the call to the bigs. :D

:cheers:

There is no way Bradway makes a trade with the jetskins - He hates Snyder more than the devil and at least as much as pastabelly hates Snyder - unless it is a totally unbalanced deal - which we won't do. Also don't forget P. Johnson is an urfa, McCants a rfa, russell a bust, and Jacobs an unknown. We aren't necessarily going to be so deep at wr that we give up a proven #2 without a proven replacement. As far a Gardner's bad year last year - who on the Skins offense had a GOOD year except Coles?

Gardner is NOT too much for lamont jordan .. but with an aging curtis martin i don't see it happening. Even in Gardner's 1,000 year .. he was highly inconsistant and has never been a real reliable receiver. Maybe he will improve under gibbs .. but i think taylor jacobs has a brighter future here.

I find it amazing guys who have only seen Jordan play in a few games have such a strong opinion of him. He plays behind a future hall of famer in an "O" that is not conducive to his power running style. I am not saying he is of the same value as Gardner but, if the Jets were to throw in a 2nd round pick it should be considered. We are going to need a scat back and a power back and everyone here knows it. We have the scat back type in either Morton or Sultan, Betts is the big unknown. Is he durable enough to be the power back for 16 games plus a few post season games? Noone really knows.

I like what I've seen of Jordan when he plays but Gardener is worth more so like Art says, if they throw in a 2nd rounder or maybe a 3rd and a 5th rounder, something like that.

If it did happen, would we be accepting that Jordan would battle Betts for the starting job?

Just to give you a sense of how these opinions stack up against reality, last year the Texans offered their #3 pick for Jordan and the Jets #13 pick. In other words, according to the draft value chart, they valued Jordan as a 1st rounder. Not bad for a dog.

I see you've rolled out his stats to have a look. What you don't see is that in 2003, he missed substantial playing time with a broken hand. The naked eye also doesn't see that his career stats have been skewed as he's been used primarily in short yardage/goal line situations with 8 in the box. Finally, Herman is also extremely conservative (probably to a fault) with regard to giving younger players PT, and as a result, Jordan has had a tough time stealing touches from Martin (1300+ in 2003).

Had Jordan been asked to perform and failed, that would be one thing. But when he's been given chances, he's found success (for example, 100+ and 2 TDs against the Colts in the playoffs) and has had multiple long runs in which he's shown breakaway speed. Hand injury and Herman's philosophy aside, when you play your career behind one of the most durable RBs in the history of the game, you're looking at limited opportunities.

He's an unknown quantity with little mileage who's been groomed by a HOF RB. Whether other GMs would agree with the Texans that he's worthy of a 1st rounder, I'm not so sure. But with Martin on his last legs, Jordan is the heir apparent to the Jets starting RB position, and it would take significant compensation to pry him away.

Archived