Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FA runningbacks???

bayougator

ummm... other. i like clarence farmer out of arizona who i believe we can get in the third round he is a nice package of everything. he is gonna slip only becuz of disciplinary problems. but if he becomes avaliable, i say we should draft eddie george to a relatively cheap contract.

Greg Jones the FSU back. He's a nice combination of size, speed, and power. Injuries this past year have hurt his stock but when he's healthy he's a load, and can probably be had in the third round. Other than him I don't see anyone I really like. I'm betting Gibbs will trade for a back, and one that I like who hasn't been mentioned yet is Najeh Davenport. Green Bay is stocked pretty well at the RB postion and I'm betting Davenport could be had for a third round pick. TJ Duckett, Kevin Barlow, and Mourice Morris should also be considered if a trade were to happen, but as for free agency forget it. I say we give Dayne a shot in camp but besides him there's no RB's in free agency that interest me.

Bayou......Staley and Dillon both seem to be guys who are heading towards the downsides of their careers. Both Staley and Dillon are turning 30 years old soon. This seems to be that magic number where RBs begin to tail off. In these two guys' case, it can be argued that they have already started this downward spiral by looking at their stats. Additionally, I'm not too crazy about Dillon, considering the fact that he has taken a pounding over the course of time he spent in Cincy for 7 years. I watched alot of Bengals football games during the 2002 season, and I wasn't impressed by Dillon's ability to punch the ball into the end zone in several short yardage situations, which costed the Bengals some victories that season.

In my opinion, we need to draft a RB and allow him to grow alongside Patrick. I would be on cloud nine if we can get somebody like Steven Jackson for example, and see him and your brother form one of the great Skins QB-RB combos in club history.

I think that a Dillon or Staley would only be an attempt to come up with a short term solution to our RB situation. Drafting somebody who is gonna form the foundation of our offense along with Patrick seems to be the way to go.

It all kind of depends on how we rank everyone in the draft. But then again, we'll have to start FA before we get to much info on the college players.

At first, I would take Dillion. However, I think we would have to trade for him and that really isn't in the cards. However, he is the one back who would be ready to handle 25 carries a game.

While I think Jackson would fit Coach Gibbs style a bit more then the other RBs listed as 1st rd picks, I am not convinced yet that Coach is going to want to pass up a playmaker like Winslow Jr.

Tough damn question. Lots of variables.

It will all start with Coach trying to figure out how much of a priority it is based on his evaluations of the current players. If he doesn't see that as important a fill as say Dline or TE, he may take his chances with later picks.

I don't know. Maybe he'll trade for Alstott and just try and recreate the big back pounder like Riggins.

I can understand your point, but I see this team as having great potential right now. I think we could ride this high of having Big Coach with us a LONG WAY this year. I would be willing to get one of these "down side" players for two or three years while we work on a project. Or get a young runningbacks and move him in slowly

Your Bro' will have a lot to do with us being able to get a high quality back if it comes down to bidding for a particular guy if that is the direction Coach Gibbs decides to go.

Players will love to play with a tough, hard nosed, powerful QB who has nothing but an upside. Teams will be hesitent to load the box up to stop a RB when Patrick is back there waiting to unload on them. If they do, he'll pick them apart.

Bayou.......you bring up another interesting point. Yes, the team does have good potential right now and realistically can be a playoff team next season. I personally think it all comes down to the d-line though. If we don't upgrade and make significant improvements along the d-line, I think it will be irrelevant what the team decides to do at RB. If the d-line help arrives, then we can instantly challenge for a playoff birth. In this case, I'd feel much more comfortable giving the ball 25 times to a proven guy like Dillon for example, rather than a rookie who is adjusting to the league and learning on the job. But then again, you have to realistically judge what is manageable under the salary cap.

Bayou.......clearly, the team has alot of interesting decisions to make this offseason. Personally, facing the dilemma of having to choose between a Corey Dillon, Steven Jackson, or Kevin Jones isn't all that bad. Arguably its a win-win situation either way you go, although the rookie route makes the long term situation look alot brighter. As for the d-line, same situation. Kearse, Udeze, Lavalais, Smith, Harris, etc....... all good players who can help this team in their own way. With a little luck on our side we will make the right decisions and be smiling for years to come.

Bayou..........do you know what your brother's thoughts are on the situation in terms of his preferences? If you are aware of his feelings, do you mind sharing with us? If not, no big deal.

And don't get me wrong, I still respect/value your opinions and care about what you have to say too.

Originally posted by Utah

While I think Jackson would fit Coach Gibbs style a bit more then the other RBs listed as 1st rd picks, I am not convinced yet that Coach is going to want to pass up a playmaker like Winslow Jr.

True considering he did make his father into who he was when he was OC of the Chargers.

RCH,

Don't worry I'm use to it. The other night I counted how long it took someone that I have known for twenty years to ask about Pat after saying hi.

They got 24 seconds.

Pat is one that doesn't really give a damn. Take what they give ya!

PC enough for ya? But true!

Archived