Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FA runningbacks???

bayougator

Originally posted by bayougator

This kid would make our line an instant presence. I also think you will see the D play completely different next year.

The D will definitly play different next year because they will have discipline and experience. Something George Edwards didn't have.

BTW, who would Patrick like to have as RB or if he has anyother suggestions has he mentioned them to you.

BTW, I wouldn't discount taking a shot at Jarrett Payton. Besides the family connection, he may be the type of back we need.

Remember, Coach Gibbs was never one for the homerun hitter as his main back. He just wants a cloud of dust and 4-5 yards a carry.

Bayou, if we get a good strong back that can carry the rock about 20-25 times or more a game, in a Joe Gibbs offense that will take a lot of pressure off of Patrick and set up his passes as well via the play action

That being said, I have to agree with some of the others and say pass on both Dillion and Staley. If we can get a good young RB via trade or the draft, it will make the running game Gibbs loves that will in turn set up the strong passing game as well

Now I'm speaking purely from a educated fan's view and what I saw this year.

I think this team, as poor a we looked this year, is just a couple things from being scary.

1. Descipline --- Taken care of (Gibbs)

2. Direction --- Done (Gibbs)

3. Pride --- Replinished (Gibbs)

4. Threat of a run --- Partly done (Gibbs) and (?)

5. Dline --- (?)

Bayou........agreed............clearly, St. Joe's arrival is gonna give us the competitive edge against whatever opposing coaching staff we face on any given Sunday. The importance of this cannot be underestimated. The teams who are best prepared in terms of coaching are usually the ones succeeding in this league. I see Parcells as being the only other coach in Joe's class right now. Arguably and realistically, Gibbs arrival, eye for detail, preparation, football knowledge, winning tradition, and work ethic will be enough to propel this team to 3 more victories from a season ago. With Gibbs as opposed to Spurrier, we will win the close games and not find a way to collapse and lose them. A consistent pass rush along our d-line and a steady RB giving us consistent positive yardage would make us really dangerous.

Pat - Payton I know I know he has alot of growing but I can dream

:rolleyes:

Maybe by his third year under Gibbs ;)

He has a stronger arm than Manning, and is smart like Manning..... hmmmmmmm

all he lacks is a father and brother (that will) that played in the NFL :laugh:

Just busting your chops. I feel personally PR can be another manning, or Marino he has the talent & skills. :)

I am not so ready to dismiss Ladell yet... thus far, his only knock has been his durability. Id really like to see him used as a hammer behind our line that is better coached at run-blocking schemes. I bet we will see a good bit of Ladell this year and find out what he is made of.

Originally posted by Blade

I am not so ready to dismiss Ladell yet... thus far, his only knock has been his durability. Id really like to see him used as a hammer behind our line that is better coached at run-blocking schemes. I bet we will see a good bit of Ladell this year and find out what he is made of.

I think many of us are down on Betts because he seems injury prone or not tough enough to get the job done. Which is really not a fair opinion. Gibbs and company may bring out the beast in him ;)

Originally posted by bayougator

I really see us one rb away from the colts.

Think about it

Coles - Harrison

Gardner - Wayne

Johnson/Dar - Stokely

Pat - Payton I know I know he has alot of growing but I can dream

Oh Bayou, you just became my new best bud :D

If the Redskins could be just like the Colts, then maybe I could stand up to my dad and pinhead older brother the Colts fans a LOT better

Those two are gonna be bad enough to deal with if the Colts win the Super Bowl, but the Redskins being at thr Colts level at some point would make it all far more tolerable

And the one thing that might sent us apart from them would be if we can get our D-line stronger, because I think now we already have better playmakers on defense than do the Colts

I really think we can get something going witht the backs we have. They just weren't used well. They need coaching on blocking, and pulling those guards and tackles more will open up HUGE holes.

Imagine the counter trey with Randy Thomas pulling around your blindside and you are a DT. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we need a bruising fullback.

I also think that with teh coaching now at the high level it is we have enough running backs that Gibbs may find a good back Cartright, Betts, McCollough. I think we are going to concentrate on the DL but also with good defensive coaching who is to say that the defensive line plus a Jevon Kearse and maybr a Ted Washington type wouldn't also cure the DL's problems.

What do you all think?

Archived