Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

With All Due Respect To Trung Candidate.....

The Agent

Originally posted by Trung24

He's junk. Why do you think the Rams were so willing to get rid of him?

2 Things:

1) I find it hilarious that you have his name and said that and;

2) I wish they were willing to get rid of Arlen Harris.....he's going to be very good.

Originally posted by Trung24

He's junk. Why do you think the Rams were so willing to get rid of him?

2 Things:

1) I find it hilarious that you have his name and said that and;

2) I wish they were willing to get rid of Arlen Harris.....he's going to be very good.

One of the last positions we need to pick in the first round is a RB. We need D-line, first two rounds, then O-line, assuming champ is with us. I would like to see what our backs could do with a real HC and O-line coach. I still think Betts has potential, especially with Gibbs. His blocking was better this year than last and better in the few games near the end before he was injured again. I also think the Rock could do well with the counter-trey, he breaks tackles.

Remember in his speech, 'Defense gets you to the playoffs.' I believe he build the defense first and see if he can work some wonders with most of the offense we already have in place. This is how I interpreted his comments about defense. The special teams comment was, don't give my offense or defense bad field positions and we will do well.

I have faith Gibbs can come up with an offense with the players we have that will play well enough as long as we have a good defense.

One of the last positions we need to pick in the first round is a RB. We need D-line, first two rounds, then O-line, assuming champ is with us. I would like to see what our backs could do with a real HC and O-line coach. I still think Betts has potential, especially with Gibbs. His blocking was better this year than last and better in the few games near the end before he was injured again. I also think the Rock could do well with the counter-trey, he breaks tackles.

Remember in his speech, 'Defense gets you to the playoffs.' I believe he build the defense first and see if he can work some wonders with most of the offense we already have in place. This is how I interpreted his comments about defense. The special teams comment was, don't give my offense or defense bad field positions and we will do well.

I have faith Gibbs can come up with an offense with the players we have that will play well enough as long as we have a good defense.

Originally posted by Jimbo

Well said NH. I prefer to get the defense in high gear first. I think Joe, with a few tweaks, can be successful with most of the offensive players we have.

What do you notice about all the playoff teams this year; with the exception of maybe St. Louis? Look at their defenses.

Gibbs is going to make the defense a priority. You don't need a high-octane offense to win in the NFL. And it doesn't help much with freezing temperatures come playoff time.

Originally posted by Jimbo

Well said NH. I prefer to get the defense in high gear first. I think Joe, with a few tweaks, can be successful with most of the offensive players we have.

What do you notice about all the playoff teams this year; with the exception of maybe St. Louis? Look at their defenses.

Gibbs is going to make the defense a priority. You don't need a high-octane offense to win in the NFL. And it doesn't help much with freezing temperatures come playoff time.

Canidate may or may not work out as the featured back under Gibbs. But lets face it, none of our backs looked good because of Superior's pass-happy Fun and Done offense. I think we have more talent at RB now than people realize.

Recall that Gibbs had success with a variety of RB's during his coaching reign. It was not just all John Riggins.

Gibbs had smaller, successful change-of-pace backs on his rosters also, such Joe Washington, Ricky Irvin and Kelvin Bryant, just to name a few.

I think our present RB's are a lot better than a lot of the playoff teams, such as New England for instance. So I wouldn't be in such a hurry to dump Canidate, Betts and McCullough for instance. :)

Canidate may or may not work out as the featured back under Gibbs. But lets face it, none of our backs looked good because of Superior's pass-happy Fun and Done offense. I think we have more talent at RB now than people realize.

Recall that Gibbs had success with a variety of RB's during his coaching reign. It was not just all John Riggins.

Gibbs had smaller, successful change-of-pace backs on his rosters also, such Joe Washington, Ricky Irvin and Kelvin Bryant, just to name a few.

I think our present RB's are a lot better than a lot of the playoff teams, such as New England for instance. So I wouldn't be in such a hurry to dump Canidate, Betts and McCullough for instance. :)

I wrote in another thread a couple of days ago (which now puts that thread like 13 or 14 pages deep) that I don't believe next year's starter is on the roster right now.

Ladell Betts might still turn out to be a good back, but his inability to stay on the field make him too risky to count on at this point. But between Betts, Trung, Chad Morton, Rock Cartwright and Sultan McCullough, I think there's a good chance Gibbs can find his 3rd down and/or changeup back. And between Rock and Mike Sellers, I think we'll be okay at FB.

But the lead back is yet to come. We simply have no hammer who has proven he can get it done in the league. Personally, I don't think Gibbs will be comfortable heading into the season with a rookie as that guy, so I have my doubts that we'll be drafting a Jones or Jackson and penciling him in. Just not Gibbs' style.

As of today, I see him going out and trying to find Byner 2.0 -- a guy who has had some success in the league that he knows he can lean on -- and then spend the summer and first season seeing what he's got among the rest of those guys.

I wrote in another thread a couple of days ago (which now puts that thread like 13 or 14 pages deep) that I don't believe next year's starter is on the roster right now.

Ladell Betts might still turn out to be a good back, but his inability to stay on the field make him too risky to count on at this point. But between Betts, Trung, Chad Morton, Rock Cartwright and Sultan McCullough, I think there's a good chance Gibbs can find his 3rd down and/or changeup back. And between Rock and Mike Sellers, I think we'll be okay at FB.

But the lead back is yet to come. We simply have no hammer who has proven he can get it done in the league. Personally, I don't think Gibbs will be comfortable heading into the season with a rookie as that guy, so I have my doubts that we'll be drafting a Jones or Jackson and penciling him in. Just not Gibbs' style.

As of today, I see him going out and trying to find Byner 2.0 -- a guy who has had some success in the league that he knows he can lean on -- and then spend the summer and first season seeing what he's got among the rest of those guys.

Originally posted by Om

And between Rock and Mike Sellers, I think we'll be okay at FB.

I partially agree with you Om, but not entirely. No we don't have a hammer on the roster, but recall that Byner only weighed 215 lbs. So its not exactly size that counts, its success and durability. Betts, Canidate or even McCullough could still work out, if they exhibit these attributes and if they can gain 1200 yards like Byner did -- which all these guys were able to do in college.

As for starting rookies, Gibbs was perfectly willing to start a rookie, if he was ready and capable. Remember Timmy Smith in the playoffs and his 200 yards rushing in the Super Bowl? :)

By the way, Gibbs doesn't use FB's in his offense. But he does use TE's and H-backs, and I feel that Sellers and Cartwright will fall into that latter category. :)

Originally posted by Om

And between Rock and Mike Sellers, I think we'll be okay at FB.

I partially agree with you Om, but not entirely. No we don't have a hammer on the roster, but recall that Byner only weighed 215 lbs. So its not exactly size that counts, its success and durability. Betts, Canidate or even McCullough could still work out, if they exhibit these attributes and if they can gain 1200 yards like Byner did -- which all these guys were able to do in college.

As for starting rookies, Gibbs was perfectly willing to start a rookie, if he was ready and capable. Remember Timmy Smith in the playoffs and his 200 yards rushing in the Super Bowl? :)

By the way, Gibbs doesn't use FB's in his offense. But he does use TE's and H-backs, and I feel that Sellers and Cartwright will fall into that latter category. :)

Well, then you're partiallly right. :D

The "hammer" thing was a poor choice of word without qualification. My bad. Sue me, it's late. :)

My point was simply that I would be very surprised indeed if Gibbs heads into the season with just the guys we have today. There's just no one guy who has shown enough to be counted on.

And as to the rookie question ... my answer is that by the time Timmy Smith got his date with destiny, the 1987 Redskins had ridden George Rogers all the way to the Super Bowl. Big, big difference between telling a guy half an hour before his 19th game -- on a team peaking offensively behind one of the best lines in NFL history -- that he's going to start, and telling a guy who hasn't ever been in an NFL game at all that he's starting on opening day on a team with questions marks and new faces everywhere you look.

Bottom line for me ... I think Gibbs will bring in a veteran who tends toward power back rather than go with what he's got or draft a blue-chipper and roll the dice.

What does Ms. Cleo think? :)

Well, then you're partiallly right. :D

The "hammer" thing was a poor choice of word without qualification. My bad. Sue me, it's late. :)

My point was simply that I would be very surprised indeed if Gibbs heads into the season with just the guys we have today. There's just no one guy who has shown enough to be counted on.

And as to the rookie question ... my answer is that by the time Timmy Smith got his date with destiny, the 1987 Redskins had ridden George Rogers all the way to the Super Bowl. Big, big difference between telling a guy half an hour before his 19th game -- on a team peaking offensively behind one of the best lines in NFL history -- that he's going to start, and telling a guy who hasn't ever been in an NFL game at all that he's starting on opening day on a team with questions marks and new faces everywhere you look.

Bottom line for me ... I think Gibbs will bring in a veteran who tends toward power back rather than go with what he's got or draft a blue-chipper and roll the dice.

What does Ms. Cleo think? :)

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

But lets face it, none of our backs looked good because of Superior's pass-happy Fun and Done offense. I think we have more talent at RB now than people realize.

But none of our WR's looked good either. I mean I LOVE Laveranues Coles, but even with Spurrier's passy happy offense they didn't go to him a whole lot. I mean he's our #1 WR right? Well wouldn't it make sense that if the offense was "Pass-centered" that he'd catch more balls and get more yards than he did on the Jets last year? Guess what he didn't. Spurriers fun and gun was a facade as well. You'd think the #1 WR would out do his previous years numbers if the offense was all about him, gardner and McCants.

Year Team G GS No Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ FD

2002 New York Jets 16 16 89 1264 14.2 43 5 19 2 67

2003 Washington Redskins 16 16 82 1204 14.7 64 6 21 3 54

Almost Identical stats to last year! So much for "heavy passing"

This "trend" continues throughout the recieving corps. In fact Gardner actually had 20 fewer receptions this year and 400 fewer yards (without Coles). But STILL 400 LESS yards? Thats a whole lot of fewer receptions. Look at some of the WR's this year that came close to 100 or 100+ receptions. That's what I'd call pass-heavy.

McCants, 100 more yards but he also played in 6 more games.

Finally take a look at Taylor Jacobs. You'd think that a rookie WR would actually get some field time especially when your SOOOO far out of the playoffs. I mean wouldn't you want to develop him in your pass centered offense.....so you have more depth? Well in Spurriers fun and gun he played 8 games, was thrown to 3 times!!!!!! and went for 37 yards. 12.something yards a reception is pretty damn good for a rookie.

Case in point. Spurrier said he was going to throw the ball and he failed, he failed calling the right plays or failed throwing enough, and when he didn't throw he gave it to a guy that did little or nothing. That my friends is why we lost to some really bad teams this year. Running the ball with Trung and then not giving Coles, Gardner or McCants enough ball time. And only hitting your 4th option 3 times in 8 games, really SAD.

Finally. When your RB has nearly double the rushing attempts that your #1 WR has, you know your running and not passing.

If Fun N Gun was truly about passing the Skins would look more like Indiana and less like Buffalo.

Gibbs Previous Drafts

92-81

1 1 4 4 Desmond Howard WR Michigan

2 2 19 47 Shane Collins DE Arizona State

3 3 18 74 Paul Siever G Penn State

4 4 28 112 Chris Hakel QB William & Mary

5 6 28 168 Ray Rowe TE San Diego State

6 7 28 196 Calvin Holmes DB USC

7 8 28 224 Darryl Moore G Texas-El Paso

8 9 28 252 Boone Powell LB Texas

9 10 28 280 Tony Barker LB Rice

10 11 28 308 Terry Smith WR Penn State