Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Frank Howard, four-time All-Star and Washington Senators legend, dies at 87

EmirOfShmo

NEW YORK -- Frank Howard, who is considered one of the greatest power hitters in the history of the nation's capital, averaged 34 home runs per season during his seven years with the Senators from 1965-71. He was affectionately known as "The Capital Punisher," and, man, did he earn that nickname.

Howard's coming-out party with the Senators occurred 50 years ago, in May 1968. That year, he had a week for the ages, blasting 10 home runs in a stretch of 20 at-bats from May 12-18. It still stands as the most homers hit in a week.

"I wish I had more weeks like that, I might have made a couple of bucks in the game of baseball," Howard joked by phone this week. "It was a rare moment for me. Everything fell into place for me. As a hitter, sometimes you get into a groove, where you are reading the pitchers well. You are seeing the ball well."

At 6-foot-7 and 255 pounds, Howard was massive by 1968 standards -- and an inch taller and 10 pounds heavier than current big slugger Giancarlo Stanton -- which earned him another nickname: The Washington Monument. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/frank-howard-home-run-binge-in-1968-c277097284

Sad. One of my childhood heroes. Had the privilege of being a ballboy at RFK stadium in the late 60s to see this hulk of a man hit mammoth HRs.  

RIP Mr. Howard...thanks for the memories...

Edit: I shouldn't have rushed this post.  He was Hondo to us fans. And damn did he make us proud...

howard-main-4-getty.jpg.287d1fa10b430fcec09f9400236c32e4.jpg

Edited by EmirOfShmo
  • Sad 4

My dad always talks about how the bat looked like a toothpick in his hands. And that how he was there when he hit a homer that hit the back of RFK stadium. 

I remember going to a game at Camden Yards when I was a kid, Howard was the first base coach for the Yankees. My dad was in awe of him the whole time. 

• Like 1